Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Never Enough.....SAS blaZeR2

100K views 530 replies 74 participants last post by  Judd 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s my first build.

I would first like to thank my grandparents and especially my grandpa for all of his help with the build. I have been doing all of the work in his shop with his help. This both of ours first truck build but, not his first time in the garage... Ill let you see some of the toys that have rolled out of the garage before :naughty:

As of now
99 Blazer zr2
4.3 v6
-msd ignition
-jba headers egr delete
-flowmaster super44
-gibson 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust
-missing kitty
5 speed
31 bfg at's
torsion bar lift
lift shackles
homemade front bumper

Here it is

Here is my first stuck:sonicjay:

See less See more
#270 ·
This way seems easy enough and makes sense concerning the part about damaging the rope. Any thoughts?
Attaching your new synthetic line

With Synthetic lines I do not like the side drum attachment. If you are in a side pull you could pull your line across this point and damage your line. From me you will get a taped drum end and 5" in from the end will also be taped using red electrical tape. Lay the end across your drum with the second tape mark meeting the side of the drum, and tape both points in place. The tape is just to hold it in place so you can start spooling. Then start spooling your line on over what you laid across the drum. I Highly recommend this be done under tension. Best accomplished using a helper sitting in the drivers seat with steady pressure on the brake pedal. If you do not have a helper, set the E brake with a little tension. The 5" between the two taped marks represents the minimum number of wraps you should keep on the drum at all times. When you are pulling line off, no need to count wraps, just look for the red tape on the end. When you see this, stop, you are at the minimum number of wraps needed on the drum.
http://www.krissplicing.com/vehicle-and-atv-winch-lines.php

#272 ·
So I got my winch and rope. SmittyBuilt Xrc8 and an Erin's Rope.

Looks like I'll have to shorten the rope. Smittty gives you 94', I have 100'.

That"s a broken stud for one of the power wires. Not too happy about that...

Here's the winch mount I picked up. First and last time I every buy a bolt on part. Way to much modifying to get it the way I want and I paid a stupid amount for it because I though i could just bolt it on and go. Ill make it work but right now its a huge rock anchor, After the blessing I'll sell the mount and build what I want.

So here's my new snatch block! Its one box in side another. The post office broke it out of the box twice. Then decided to tape it up and ship me an empty box! I'm thrilled :rolleyes:

A couple of set backs but nothing too major, more like a couple of pita's all at once :whiz:

#276 ·
Thanks again for bringing that by :beer:

I would of used my own but, I striped the gears out of it drilling out the fairlead holes. Setbacks aside I still got it done for the blessing and didn't even use it :sonicjay:

The winch plate hangs below my bumper because its meant for a stock bumper so I had to get creative. So I used the skid plate that Joe gave me. He said it was too nice to cut up... :teehee:

#278 ·
The weekend of the Blessing and TT cost me a power steering pump. Probably heat related, so I picked up some goodies to keep that from happening again.

Derale 14" 2-Pass Heat Sink, Auto Meter Ultra-Lite II

I couldn't wait to try it out so I grabbed a 9 volt and hit the lights!! :sonicjay:

Hopefully the rest of the parts show up tomorrow. Placed both orders within 5 minutes of each other yesterday and my Summit order showed up today, still waiting on Jegs.

#287 ·
Didn't have time to mount any of the new steering parts today, but my Jegs order came in and at least I have everything I need now. I also found out that I should of just bought AN lines as the brass fittings I needed were almost as much!

But the whole day wasn't wasted as I made up the mount for my gauge. It replaces one of the heater vents in the dash. First try was out of sheet metal, just to give freehand forming a try which I failed miserably at lol. Second try was with a piece of plywood backer and some bondo.

Still needs a lot more work but I needed a guide coat so I slapped some paint on it, that and I wanted to see what it would look like.

#289 ·
Haven't updated this for awhile, just been busy with summer I guess. I've gone to the dunes 4 times this summer but that's about it for wheeling. Anyways, I got board today before work and decided to mount my cb.

3ft Firestick and Realistic cb.

This pic shows how the frustrations of having a drive way as a shop. The mount is level but that doesn't mean that the truck was level when I welded it..... should of checked it. Can't wait to graduate and get a place of my own, with a shop! Oh well the crescent wrench will take care of it once it quits raining.

#292 ·
T_J, 2fst4you, Crazygrady, Me, And my dad

I even got my Grandpa to drive it in the dunes! He was a little reluctant at first, until he had to back down a hill. As soon as he reached the base of the hill I told him 2nd gear and foot to the floor. No hesitation what so ever and we went up that that hill!! I couldn't tell you who's smile was bigger :d:

#296 ·
haha no I regifted it to motox168

Did you get another driveshaft yet?:D

Any plans for the weekend, we're thinking r&v again or Bundy.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Ds is on order and it should be here by Friday!

Id prefer not to drive down to bundy with out a trailer. So if your cool with R@V id rather do that. Cam and my Dad will be with wheeling with us too.

#302 · (Edited)
Looking at making a tcase shifter and it need to be a lever of some sorts because it can't come directly up through the floor. I'm wondering if the fulcrum point on the shifter has to be mounted directly to the case or if it can be mounted to the body?

Here's the new 231c hd, 233c, and 231j combo case with jb conversions ss sye that's getting the new shifter next to the old 233.

#304 ·
You can do it either way but I would mount it to the case
The tjs xjs and zjs mount Otto the body and there is the possibility o it popping out of gear with drive train movement
The yjs mount it to the case and there is no possibility of that
You could probably just modify a yj shifter to get it to work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.