Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

F'n UAW...Way to go!

8K views 141 replies 57 participants last post by  Kid Rock 
#1 ·
The talks just fell through. The UAW refused to take wage concessions until 2011 - Nice!

What a bunch of asshats, I guess they would rather be out of work.

#6 ·
ya know UAW never fails to let me down.. every time i think there's no way they could be any more stupid, they go and pull something else off.. here they sealed there own demise, here is hoping they dont see 2011 in any way shape or form and the heads all lose there shirts and houses fuckin dumb ass' i feel real bad for MI and it economic down turn it has yet to even experience the worst of....

on the plus side, maybe they go bankrupt and they can shit can the UAW and get regular joes who need the work and are willing to work!!!

#14 ·
I work for the UAW. Everyone I talked to at my plant understand we will need to take a pay cut in order to keep our jobs. The heads of the Union turned down taking an agreement to take A pay cut yesterday. The Union leadership is just all about politics like the rest of the Country. Of coarse they are going to act like there standing there ground so it makes National news. That way when they finally do concede to the Pay cuts they can tell there Union members they did everything they could. This is the best deal that could be negotiate so we better take it.

I'm sure everyone who comments negatively in the thread would be willing to take a 20% pay cut to keep there jobs right? Unfortunately I'm going to do have to do it. I have been looking for another job but as we all know in Michigan that is hard to find.

OK my little Rant is done. Flame away

#21 ·
so its the UAW's fault people shop at walmart, its the UAW's fault people buy foreign cars. its the UAW's fault that so many people get let into this country every year and work for slave labor pay.

you guys are truly missing the point. does anyone remember what happened in flint in the 30's? we as americans are to blame for what is going on now. heres a thought, how about americans bail out the big 3, its easy, buy an american made car/truck and stop shopping at walmart!

#22 ·
Mark my words: Even if they get bailed out people outside of the Great Lakes will boycott buying Big 3 cars.

Also I have heard they had an ear mark on the bail out to raise wages for Supreme Court Judges. If this is true this is the reason we are so fucking far in debt in this nation. Everything that gets voted on has so much pork added to it that I find it sickening.

#23 ·
oh shit wait a minute this isnt about the auto industry its about walmart!?!?!? damn media has tricked us again... as for buying american what about all the guys building cars for honda, toyota, mercedes, Kia, and others sure the money goes over seas.. but didnt they have to pay in the neighborhood of over 100,000 people to build them, and dont they spend there money they make here... give up this buy american, this is a global economy, deal with it the days of buy american are long gone...

now the bigger bitch taking a pay cut no money or less money.. i take less money i had to do this in the past two weeks with my work force telling them they would all take a $10 an hour hit in pay, a few bitched and some walked.. reality i could keep paying them full whack on jobs but we would be broke buy spring.. or gee i dont know do whats good for the COMPANY and help them make it through.. how hard is this to figure out if the company doesnt make it your not going to have a job.... people are to damn greedy these days.. end rant...

#31 ·
Hopefully some other miracle happens.

I'm hoping that if they're able to file for Chapter 11, they can tell the UAW to go fuck themselves. Gettelfinger needs to get slapped upside the head.

Our Southern politicians need to stop giving their handouts to foreign automakers to come build plants in their states. No wonder most of them were voting this down....they're in bed with the "enemy."

#74 ·
The reason that most of the foregin automakers stay away from Michigan and the northern states like the plague is the fear of the union mentality. The states in the south took advantage of this fact. If Two Penny Jenny could offer enough free tax advantages to overcome the Michigan stigma they would be building plants in Michigan!:thumb:

#32 · (Edited)
You should turn on WRIF. Trudi said something this morning that some of you need to hear. Does anyone here know how much a line worker makes a any of the other car companys here in the US? Nissian Line worker makes 26 dollors and hour with bonuses( something the big 3 line works have not got in a few years), VW line workers make 38 dollors an hour with bonuses. Line workers for the big 3 make 27 dollors an hour. This info came from what Trudi said this morning in a report she had. So please tell me why the UAW workers should take a paycut to make the same as everyone else doing the same job!

#34 ·
So, if this loan, bailout, whatever, went through, we the taxpayers not only get to take on the burden of more national debt, but we also get to take on the burden of lower wages in order to make the auto companies viable again? Lets not forget the fact that if this doesnt work, we the taxpayers will be stuck w/ paying back the debt in the form of higher taxes.
Arent we also supposed to support these companies by purchasing their vehicles? That isnt enough? Isnt that how any other company is run? They make a good product w/ a decent profit margin, the customer buys it and in turn the company, and it's employees, prosper. If the company is badly managed, or makes a inferior product, the customer quits buying it and the company either changes directions or takes a hit.
I dont see why the auto companies should be any different than any other company out there.
If they want the support of the people, they need to get it by supplying a product that the people will buy. I will gladly give money to a business that provides me with a quality product or service, but I dont like being forced to give money to a company that I have never bought from in the first place (I only buy used.) by a gov't. that is supposed to be "by the people, for the people".

As for the whole foreign vs. domestic thing goes. BOO HOO, the big three have competent competition. They need to deal with it competently.

#35 ·
As to the op, you really think that even if the UAW agreed to drop down to $12 an hour the republicans wouldn't have fillibustered? They don't honestly give a shit what the big 3 or uaw offered they just wanted to kick them in the teeth.

They are making such a big deal over the 35 billion, when they handed over 700 billion to the banks with almost no strings attached whatsoever, I would rather see more banks fail than our country's production capacity die completly. What do you think is going to happen to the banks when 100,000 autoworkers homes go into foreclosure also?

Regardless of what the big 3 or uaw do they have too much of a bad rep to overcome atm. They DO make cars on par with the foreign ones and the wages are getting pretty damn close to the foreign plants.

The job bank was always a stupid thing and should have never been created imo. Once that goes and hourly pay goes down a little more, the total labor cost will be on par.

Wait til everyone sees what the fallout from a GM bankruptcy is. It will be brutal. This entire country is going to take a huge shit and it will be felt in 90% of our jobs, even those that have absolutely nothing to do with the auto industry.

btw, to those bitching about them not making 40mpg cars, if they had made them 5 years ago, no one would have bought them. Why do you think Toyota, Nissan etc started building gas hogging pickups for the US also? We didn't WANT econo cars.

#42 ·
LOL, I was pissed off last nioght because I need new cookie sheet to bake - not one I could find was made in the USA. (Kohl's) - I need to go back to Meijer; they actually have some things made in the USA there.

Brian, I would help you in any way I could. :)

#44 ·
I'm not saying that the big 3 shouldn't be overhauled and I am certain that the UAW needs to get with the times or go away. But the two main reasons that they are in this mess is do to our BS foreign trade policy and the sudden downturn in the economy(partially thanks to the banking industry). If we didn't make it so easy for the foreign automakers to do business here(Southern states) and people were able to get financing for new cars the problems wouldn't be nearly as bad. All automakers are feeling the pain including the foreign ones:

Toyota is idling U.S. plants and is having the worst financial times in seven years worldwide. Mistubishi almost went out of business a few years ago. Nissan's profits are down 41% and their US sales figures are horrible.

Friday, 07 November 2008
Toyota has reported a 69 per cent plunge in profits during the second quarter and warned it was unlikely to hardly make any money in the second half of the year.

It is the first time the world's biggest selling carmaker's sales have fallen globally in seven years.

Toyota blamed falling sales in Europe and the US for the decline, as well as the strong yen that is rising against the dollar and other currencies.

The company cut its net profit forecast for the year by 56per cent to Y550bn (£3.57bn) and slashed its operating profit forecast by 63 per cent, down to Y600bn - far below the expectations of analysts.

The carmaker said it expected to make operating profits of $6.1bn (£3.9bn) in the fiscal year ending in March 2009, a 73.6 per cent drop on a year ago.

#45 ·
Frustrating.

There are literally millons of people out there saying they could've have done better (than the CEO's) and that the auto industry should have seen this coming and it's our own fault.

These are the same people that go to work earning and honest wage, but are not savvy enough to run the company they work for.
These are the same people that owe more on their house than it's worth because of the housing markets tanking.

Seems to me, it is just a lot of whining and ignorance.

#49 ·
10 years ago I was working at a company that made some poor business decisions and had financial trouble. all employees took a 45% pay cut but kept their jobs. considering I had bills to pay I agreed and signed the paperwork. a month later health benefits got axed. I took a second job while I looked for a new job somewhere else. sometimes things go south.

#51 ·
I took a second job while I looked for a new job somewhere else. sometimes things go south.
Except most of us in the auto industry are so retarded, er, "specialized", it's hard to find work outside of cars. :sonicjay:

Hondsight being 20/20, I would've tried to find a job that was secure (though I thought people would always need cars) instead of doing something I love.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.