Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Never Enough.....SAS blaZeR2

100K views 530 replies 74 participants last post by  Judd 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s my first build.

I would first like to thank my grandparents and especially my grandpa for all of his help with the build. I have been doing all of the work in his shop with his help. This both of ours first truck build but, not his first time in the garage... Ill let you see some of the toys that have rolled out of the garage before :naughty:

As of now
99 Blazer zr2
4.3 v6
-msd ignition
-jba headers egr delete
-flowmaster super44
-gibson 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust
-missing kitty
5 speed
31 bfg at's
torsion bar lift
lift shackles
homemade front bumper

Here it is

Here is my first stuck:sonicjay:

See less See more
#355 ·
Oh and in that video I was hitting the shackle mount hitch thingy. Hurt like hell hitting the bottom. And the mount was wedged in so hard it I had to tie it to the telephone poll in the yard and tug at it to get it to come out. The neighbors got quite a show :sonicjay:

But the new bumper has more clearance so there should be no problems with the slab now!

#359 ·
It hates me! The ring and pinion have been fine so far (knock on wood) but the shafts don't have a very long life expectancy. Chromos and Ctms or equivalent should survive, but then your approaching the cost of a 60.

Thanks Luke, I might take you up on that! But I'm going to try to hold out for a bender if I can find one. I'll let you know by Friday.

#361 ·
Well the bumper is all finished and besides in need of a repaint it is all ready to go! I have to thank John again for all of his help and use of his garage! :rock: Along with Walt and Garret for beer drinking they did :finger: All of the pictures of the bumper are on my digital camera which is conveniently located in Johns garage.

The only pic I have on my phone is of John burning in the side plates.

Soon after finishing up the bumper on the way heading home I lost a fuel pump on the side of the road, so my roommate came to my rescue. Thanks Eric! We were able to get it started again and back to Mt. Pleasant where I made an access hole in the back and changed out the fuel pump the easy way. Eric should have some pics of that.

#362 ·
Then on Christmas day in the way to my Grandfathers house I lost control and slid backwards in to a few trees :(

Me and my buddy Wankey pulled out the b pillar about 3.5 inches and were able to hang a new door back on it. I also picked up a new fender for it too, but I ran out of time to put that on. Also the rear window is now plexi as a regular one wont fit anymore.

The only good out come of all of this is that I got a tow rig out of the deal! My Grandpa gave me the truck and him and my Dad put in a ton of work for me to get it running. My Dad also put on a new set of heads on it for me too!
Thank you guys so much!!!!!!!!

Here she is 87 chevy long box with 41k on the ticker

All new front end parts, rebuilt motor, u-joint, tires, exhaust, brakes, water pump, battery, axle seals, and wheel bearings. My dad even has a hitch and brake control for it!

Now I just need to pick up either a topper or tonneau cover and most importantly a trailer. So if anyone knows of a trailer for sale please let me know.

#366 ·
Thanks guys.

The blazer took a pretty hard hit. I just got lucky that I didn't get hurt other than some small cuts from the glass. Also I got pretty lucky that the running gear is all in one piece too. The alignment even held! The body is doing surprising well too, after some come along and sludge hammer treatment. Once I get the new fender on and the plexi window tinted it will be wont be all that noticeable, or at least something that you wouldn't notice at 20/20. Worst part was is that I was planning on starting the exo the following day.

As for the truck, it runs really well and I know I wont set any land speed records but it will get me from a to b. Much better than the blazer making it to a and having to limp back to b :sonicjay: But I do plan on doing a few improvements to the old girl to make trips a little better. On the list is a trans cooler/gauge, custom console with cup holders (spilled my coffee this morning), new head unit and speakers. Then a hammered silver and black rattle can paint job as soon as it warms up.

#367 ·
Ive towed with a truck similar to that. It was a 92 but still an older truck. It will get it done but it will not like it. Hopfully you have figured in the 5 mpg it will get while towing. But its definetly a good piece of mind while on the trail that u have a garenteed ride home.

#373 ·
I doubt it will be that bad. I haven't done the real math yet but by rounding numbers and a little guesstimating I know its getting close to 20 mpg with about 1000lbs in the bed.

i wouldnt let that wanky kid work on your vehical again. hes up to no good i tell you!
haha you gotta watch him

My condolences Justin:(

Paint a #3 on the door of the new tow rig after you paint it black!
Thanks man and nope she's gona be a classy girl

Is the truck injected? Spent a lot of time towing with a 87 Chevy 2500 with an injected small block....with 4.10's it did fine....not as powerful or nice as the 2000 that replaced it but not bad.....fuel economy was basically a wash too.

Sucks about your blazer!
Yep its injected, I'm unsure of the gear ratio but it does have smaller than stock tires on it. The speedo reads 5 over so it has quite abit of extra gearing to it.

your tow cap. is about 8,000 lbs, with that set up, between a car trailer and your rig you will be pushing that limit, not to mention what you will be taking with you personally. Be carefull and drive slow and you should be fine, If it has a 700r4 tans do not put it in over drive ever towing.

Personally I would try to find a trailer that is as light as possible to help out, I dont know what the total weight between a 7500 and 10000 lbs trailer is but a couple hundered pounds will have a huge difference.

I have a 7500llbs trailer I know Im at my limit for both truck and trailer as I tow with a 1/2 ton, but its my presonal limit, I have a little wiggle room, my truck is much newer and trailer brakes make all the diffrence.
I'll be flirting with the weight no doubt about that. But not driving like a retard and having trailer brakes will keep me and everyone else safe. I haven't checked what tranny is yet but either way I'll stay away from od. The trailer is going to have to be a heavier one as the blazer wont fit on a 7000lb trailer and hopefully have brakes on both axles.

#371 ·
Is the truck injected? Spent a lot of time towing with a 87 Chevy 2500 with an injected small block....with 4.10's it did fine....not as powerful or nice as the 2000 that replaced it but not bad.....fuel economy was basically a wash too.

Sucks about your blazer!

#372 ·
your tow cap. is about 8,000 lbs, with that set up, between a car trailer and your rig you will be pushing that limit, not to mention what you will be taking with you personally. Be carefull and drive slow and you should be fine, If it has a 700r4 tans do not put it in over drive ever towing.

Personally I would try to find a trailer that is as light as possible to help out, I dont know what the total weight between a 7500 and 10000 lbs trailer is but a couple hundered pounds will have a huge difference.

I have a 7500llbs trailer I know Im at my limit for both truck and trailer as I tow with a 1/2 ton, but its my presonal limit, I have a little wiggle room, my truck is much newer and trailer brakes make all the diffrence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.