Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

alzheimer's

8K views 97 replies 28 participants last post by  brewmenn 
#1 ·
I have been spending a lot of time with my gf's grandfather who has this disease. Holy shit this is awful. He had a freakout this morning and Gma had to call me over until her son could make it there. This Guy is a Korean war vet and he has nightmares about it and wakes up there. Some days he remembers me, some days he thinks I am one of his old buddies. I always thought cancer was the worst but IMO this tops it. He is in great physical shape but his mind is going. Much respect to the people who deal with this in a family member every day, idk if I could do it.

This post has been deleted
#2 ·
I agree. A totally shitty disease. When I'm done finding a cure for heart disease, diabetes and obesity I'm going to start on Alzheimers next.
None of those cause you to wake up and bite your wife of 40+ years because you think she is a Chinese Communist trying to knife you. Maybe you can pray for a cure.

#4 ·
Both my Great Grandpa and my Grandma had this awful disease. I know what it is like to try and help someone who can not even remember who you are. I hope when I get older I don't put my kids through this.

#7 ·
Gpa's sister bought him a nice lighter for his pipe. We had the same conversation about it 4 times in a hour.

#16 ·
My grandfather has it for over 15 years. Some in my family were hurt when he wouldn't recognized us, starting about 10 years ago. We just figured out what stories he loved to tell. Stories of his time in the navy, stories about being married for 76 years, working on the farm. I had the opportunistic to hear those stories so many time, I'll be able to recite them to my kids, grand-kids ect.

#23 ·
As shitty as it (and other things are in life) - you just have to keep marching on.

It's far worse for my Mom.

I just keep telling myself that for every shitty thing that comes my way, there are literally countless people on this planet - even in this State that have things way worse off than me.

Most days it works.

The days it doesn't, I get a burr up my ass and post a rant about something nonsensical like being pissed off at the DNR for doing road patrols :teehee:

#25 ·
This thread makes me want to give my mom, dad, grandma's and grandpa a hug.

One of my grandmas died last year from Lou gherigs (sp?). That was a crappy way to go watching her nervous system shut down starting at the bottom of her feet and eventually having her suffocate as her lungs quit working. I don't even want to know if that is hereditary, that is why I have never looked it up. My other grandma is losing her mind and can't remember people. Sucks getting old...

#26 ·
I'm fortunate that most people in my family seem to stay relatively sharp mentally and their bodies give out.

#27 ·
this is how my family is. my gpa is 77 or 78 and he is in indiana right now yelling at his employee's lol.

#32 ·
The one year anniversary of my mother's death was yesterday. I do not miss watching her decay the last 10 months of her life. The dementia started becoming bad about 6 months before her death. Near the end she was talking about things or animals that were not present. Fortunatly, four days before her death, she had an extendended moment of lucidity when I cam for a visit. I had a wonderful conversation with her and she thanked me for all that I've done for her. Seen her two days later and she was all hunched over looking very, very frail. She was glad to see me but she kept drifting in and out of sleep while I sat there. The next day she passed. I am sad now.

#33 ·
The same god who made her miserable for the prior 10 months? get your religion out of this thread.

#56 ·
Dementia is a condition of loss of brain function. Alzheimer's is a disease that can cause dementia and other problems.

#44 ·
And you guys wonder why I am such a asshole. Remember dr. mengele, pride cometh before the fall...

#49 ·
Originally Posted by amc78cj7
Hey, I didn't bring God into this. I am a biochemist with a 17 year career in pharmaceutical research and development, specifically looking at disorders in lipid and carbohydrate metabolism. You guys are awefully defensive. What are your credentials Dr. Nuggets?

Hmm... amc78cj7 bailed out. Just in case he comes back to lurk in this thread, I'll reply to his question.

I have a degree in Chemistry from the University of Toledo. I worked in an analytical lab in the 80's doing mostly wet chemical and gravimetric analysis. I accepted a job in Dow in 1990 doing research work involving the scale up of pre-production herbacides. I am critical thinker and a "prove it" kind of guy. I left Dow in 1995 to pursue other interests.

I hope this makes me worthy in amc78cj7's eyes.

#50 ·
I lost one grandmother to Alzheimer's. It was horrible to watch...

My grandfather remarried and now his current wife suffers from Dimensia. My grandparents on my other side both suffer from Dimensia. Needless to say...things get interesting. It's a real shame and I feel bad for my parents who have to directly deal with it more then I do.

Carry on with the drama. :popcorn:

#57 ·
amc78bj7 insinuated that my mothers moment of lucidity days before her death was a result of God's intervention. She went from being sorta out of it and having trouble engaging in a conversation to being more alert and being able to have a somewhat intellegent talk. She did not have an awakening and come up with the solution to world hunger while I was there.

My visit with my mom that day will be a pleasant memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life. She did not realize she was going to die soon, she was just glad to see me and wanted to thank me for all the stuff I've done for her regarding taking care of her house, bills, and dealing with her medical stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.