Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#485 ·
my rig wont but i might stop and have 1% of your drinks...

#487 ·
dont make me bring the audi on the dunes....i know that will smoke ya.

#489 ·
yea jim told me were you guys would be.i will try and stop.

#497 ·
Well, I pulled the Hydro assist and installed a new PSC full hydro setup. No pics as Full Hydro looks like Full Hydro. Did about 1 1/2 hours non stop of tight twisties at R&V & it worked perfect. Didn't get hot at all, no bubbles in the oil.......... I'm happy. :naughty:

Many thanks to Tab for the help:bdr2:.

#502 ·
At this point I didn't really notice any difference from the Hydro assist since it worked well also. I'm suspecting the big difference in the rocks.

I forgot to mention that I pulled my front pull down winch. We wanted to tuck the steering up high & I had a conflict at full stuff. I never really used the pull down much and I can always use the winch if need be. Everything's a tradeoff.

Oh, and thanks to Dale @ Ironman for being a top notch supplier.:thumb:

#508 ·
Well a few updates half of which is the garage. I picked up a used 2 post hoist. The problem is that I have a 8 1/2 ft ceiling in my garage and I needed to put the hoist off center. So, the gang came over and we installed a beam, cut out half the joists and put in the hoist. I also had to drill a 4" diameter hole in my roof for the cylinder to poke up through. That got capped off with a 4" PVC stink pipe and cap. By using the beam, I was able to save the other half for a loft for storage.

The next thing is that I picked up a small engine lathe to do some work. First project is a new driveshaft.

Since having the stickies, I have twisted 2 driveshaft splines. The worst one on the left was done in the CVS parking lot @ St. Helen. Seems brand new blacktop, rain and stickies don't mix very well. I'm thinking of ditching the spool and going back to an ARB.

I had a variety of misc parts laying around and managed to piece together a new driveshaft. This one is 2 3/4 x 1/4 wall.

I also finally gave up on the old bent up links with Ballistic joints. I actually blew a joint apart while at Curly's last November. So I built a new set using Currie Johnny Joints. 1-1/4 shank tapped into 1-3/4 x 3/8 DOM.

#513 ·
If you don't have good parts laying around, buy your first driveshaft. Go with at least 1350 joints. Still haven't decided on the rockers/boatsides. Well, actually I have. I like the idea of boatsides but the wife likes the idea of a step to get in and out. Happy wife.... happy life. But I don't know if I'll keep the same ones or get Tab to make me something new.

#514 ·
After playing in the rocks at the mounds last weekend I will be boat siding my YJ, at least one side :teehee:

Is that a Hi9 rear axle?

Would you be willing to share the details on the front 3 link? That is going to be my next suspension upgrade and I have never done one before.
It would help if I could see more pictures of the mounts and some measurements to get me started.

I might be willing to trade a car to someone of they wanted to do the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.