Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Where can i find Tie downs that aren't 30' long

4K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  rdyota 
#1 ·
I have a trailer and something to put on it, but i can't find tie downs that aren't 30' or 20' long.

Should i just deal with the extra length or try and find shorter ones.

#4 ·
i was pissed 3 days after i cut mine. i would try to deal with them

#16 ·
I have these, but I've found that I'm not fond of the twist at the end where the hook is... Doesn't seem that I'm ever able to get a good pull, and the twisted metal is in theory a week point. I use these in comination with axel wraps. If you get the axel wraps, get the ones with the wear sleave on them to protect the strap from wearing on what ever you tie down.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...machinery-strap-2-in-x-7-ft-10000-lbs-3020122

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile.../other-strapping/axle-strap-10000-lbs-3001770

#19 · (Edited)
I use those exact same Ericson axle straps, with the ratchet straps you posted above those

5,000 pound, 2 X 15 foot tie downs. These combined with some axel wraps should do the trick.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...s/ratchet-strap-2-in-x-15-ft-5000-lbs-3020130
I also carry 3 straps that are around 30' (27'?) and a bunch of 1 inch ratchet straps, some bungee cords, a couple of chains, a few shackles, a frame hook, and the winch and pulley block...a 2-3 foot length of 2x10 is also handy to have when you have to pick up a car that may scrape when breaking over the ramps onto the trailer deck...a couple of bottle jacks are also nice to have when loading lower cars, to jack up the front of the trailer and lower the rear, 1 on each front corner, rather then using the trailer jack and risking damage to it, and the 2 corners suported makes it more stable, IMO

#18 ·
Those are pretty much a combination of what I posted.. the twist in the hook is theoretically a weak point. If you have D rings on your trailer, they are probley good, but if you have to hook to the side rail, they don't seem to work that well for me.

#22 ·
My trailer is dedicated to my jeep & I got tired of dealing with the extra length and cut mine. I've never regretted it. I have a couple extra spares that are full length that I carry for a "just in case". Never used them.

So, if your sole purpose for buying straps is to tie down your POS Zuk on your POS trailer to tow behind your POS Honda, cut them.

#26 ·
I use chains. Usually G70 DOT vehicle transport chain. However, i do usually keep plenty of the 10k 27-30' cargo straps in the trailer basket. I use these to strap down cargo. I have cut some, and burned the end with a torch to keep from fraying, which often needs to be done to the long ones as well, as the factory burn doesn't last too long. if you have a chain rail on your trailer you should be buying the type with a flat hook, and they should be doubled back over themselves. If you have D-rings, the style with the round wire hooks will work, although they should be the flat steel snap style hooks like shown earlier, so they cant fall off should a failure of some sort occur.

If you leave the straps long, the best way to take care of the extra is to fold the extra back into the ratchet and then tighten it down. This cuts the length in half. Then fold it over itself in lengths about 12-20" long (depending on the length of "extra". When you've folded it over itself about 4-5 times, slip half of it under the handle and click it into the closed and locked position. The tension of the ratchet will hold the extra in place, and if it were to come loose, its only half as long, so its not flying all over nearly as bad.

probably the most important thing is to get a hook that matches your trailer, and a hook that matches the tow rig, or the axle strap. You may be best off to buy two flat hook style and two round hook style and use a flat hook ratchet with a round hook strap, and vise versa for the opposite end. This will give you a flat hook for the trailer end and a round hook to fit into the axle strap on the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.