Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Dodge Ram w/ 360

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  badazzamc 
#1 ·
I am looking a picking up a Dodge Ram with a 360 and auto trans. Does anyone tow with one of these? Just curious how it does and what the mpg is like. I am not sure of the gears yet, but it is a quad cab 4x4.

#2 ·
Back in the day, I used to have a 2000 Ram 3/4 ton quad cab 4x4, was pretty decent for towing.

360 / 4 speed auto / 4.11 gears. Not the fastest, but it pulled.

Mileage was never good, about 10mpg city/12mpg hwy/8-9mpg towing.

Unloaded, it was always pretty peppy for a 6000 lb truck, my current ram is the same truck, but a V10 with 3.55 gears. No faster unloaded than the V8, but more grunt towing.

If its a 1/2 ton, it is a good chance it has 3.55 gears, otherwise, they are 3.91s. If its a 3/4 ton, its probably got 4.11 gears, also 3.55s were technically possible.

The 4.11s certainly helped off the line, and in 3rd gear, it towed quite well, but RPMS get on the high side around 65-70 mph, which is, of course, right where you want to tow at. In overdive, mine didn't have the grunt with any incline to pull it at 65-70, but if I was at 75-80, getting the rpms up a touch, it'd pull hills better.

All in all, it was a decent truck. Being a 3/4 ton, braking was strong and it was always very stable with a load on it.

I'm much happier with my current V10, though. There was no real gas mileage difference between the two. Going to our UP runs, that rig get 9mpg pulling that CJ5/trailer. My current ram shown below got 9.5 mpg pulling htis load to tellico through the mountains.

The transmissions seem to hold up well behind the V8s. The V10s and Diesels eat them up usually around 100k miles.

Track bars are a perenial wear item on them, causing sloppy steering. My blue truck was worn after 40k miles, my current V10 is ready for a replacement this summer.

#3 ·
the only time i towed with my CRam it did ok, but that was to silver lake. Pulled ok, but not happy with hills. Once more money comes in, a 03 or newer Cummins will take its place.

#4 ·
I have 4.10's in my truck. Pulls great, have a little stability issues since mine is a reg. cab short box truck, but that's to be expected.

MPG is horrible, but you're towing so comparing that to others is well...kind of dumb I think.

So far my TPS has been replaced, track bar, front axle u-joints, and the cruise control module. Besides that it has been a great truck.

#5 ·
Mine is a '99 w/ 360 and 3.55. Ditto what Hagger has to say. 8-10 towing and 14 - 15 if I'm lucking. If your looking for keeps, this is definitly not a fuel efficient truck... Don't go with the suicide doors = suck. 4 doors would be the way to go, especially with kids.

Overall, I still love my truck and it does tow nice and stable. Just not to fast off the line...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.