Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Generac generators any good?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
I know....get a Honda. My salary doesn't allow for a Honda for as often as I will need it to be quiet.:finger:

But I have a chance to get a 5000 watt Generac for about $400. It was bought new last summer. I know the guy that owns it and know when he bought it.

Are they any good?

#3 ·
They work. I have only had experience with one of them a few years back. It ran circular saws and hammer drills, battery chargers, etc just fine all summer long; out in the weather bolted to the bed of a stake truck. I'd say for $400, jump on it; that's a good price.

#4 ·
I have one if I remember it 8,500 start up an 6,500 all the time. starts with in 3 pulls. I have a 220 plug thats for my generator that I use to run my house. it ran for 4 day with not one issue an have used it many time just for a few hours to run my house. I have also taken it on trips wheeling an used it to run welders. I love it

#7 ·
Both my brother and my dad have the Generac 5000 watt. My brothers is about 15 years old or so, still starts right up no problems, runs 11 hours or so on a tank running his house during outages. I think he replaced the control circuit board once. Dad's is newer with electric start, works great. I've borrowed both several times.

#9 ·
Their portable lineup is loud and reliable. Send me the serial number, and I can tell you the history of that generator.

If it's an older genset, Generac simply supplied the alternator, and B&S supplied the caging, electronics and the engine.

If you can find a Generac with an actual Generac engine in it, go that route. Especially if you can find one with a 990 series engine. Those things are bullet proof.

#10 ·
The 'old' Generac business (now Briggs and Stratton owned) are kickass units, the newer ones 8kw and up have USA built (at least implies better than China) engines. The smaller ones, well, I think they're china mills. Such is the "global economy". But hey, it's used. If it's been maintained and if Generac isn't slacking on it's reputation, it should treat you well, regardless of origin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.