Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Should I make a rat rod out of my turd Honda or fix it up.

• Rat Rods are what cool, and besides, everything Nuggets owns looks like a rat rod.

Votes: 41 38.7%
  • For the love of God, put some effort into this project and fix it up.

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • I'm a closed minded a-hole who will make nasty comments because I'm jealous.

Votes: 19 17.9%

1972 Honda AZ 600 upgrade.

47K views 277 replies 78 participants last post by  Rob the plumber 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my latest retarded project. I am upgrading the 600 cc engine to a slightly more powerful 5700 cc engine. It will be a full tube chassis running, of course, V8 chebby, shorty Powerglide, narrowed Ford 9 inch, and a narrowed Pinto front suspension. My goal is to stuff all these goodies into the car without modifying the exterior dimensions.

I am not sure if I am going to fix the body up much (fenders MUST be replaced regardless) or go for the rat rod look. At this point I just want to get the rolling chassis built.

The process of making room for the V8 begins!

I just started rough cutting everthing right now. Trust me, there will be alot of clean up to make it look better. I don't want it to look like a cobbled up mud bogger.

See less See more
#9 ·
I just ripped up the carpet and it is alittle whorey inside. I haven't had much time to work on it so I was just happy to be making progress.

I am going to keep the exterior sheet metal stock but there is no way I will be able to make this thing look like a stock AZ600 that just happens to have a sbc in it.

I just want a retarded little car that nobody else has. I also want that retarded little car to be fast as hell!

For the record I have no plans to wheel this thing. My days of uber giant mud toys are over. That doesn't mean I will never show up with a beater Tracker or some other POS.

#11 ·
haggar had a poop pipe info thread somewhere. i think it's sticky'd

#19 ·
I like the Idea of a rat rod. I have never seen one of these til last week when my brother in-law towed two of them for a guy. I'm not sure what the guy was doing with them but if you need parts I can try to get a hold of him and find out if he's parting them out. I realize that there won't be much stock to it, who knows what you might need.

#20 ·
nice one :thumb:

so sorta rat pro street ?

i dig the body lines on the coupes more so than the sedan version. we had a coupe, same color - hated that tar sh!t they used on the floors and interior. it was soft right benind the front wheel wells - went to jack it up and . . . oops, right through the floor :sonicjay:

looking forward to more :beerbang:

#30 · (Edited)
I was working on the front suspension again tonight. I got the narrowed Pinto front end stitched together and the welds cleaned up. I'm well aware that it is a rusty POS. Keep in mind kids that ol' Nugs doesn't have a job right now. Once I get the unit mounted into the frame I will be replacing all joints and bushings and cleaning up the rust.

Here's how wide it started (61" down to 44").

It took me forever to cut out all of the spot welds to seperate it from the original unibody rails.

Here's a picture of the firebreathing 27 hp 600cc two banger.

This is the stock width Ford 9" compared to the car. I plan on washing the rear axle in really hot water to shrink it down to the point where it will fit under the car.

And here's a picture of my 18" wiener flopped out for everyone to admire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.