Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Demo/Construction guys in NE Michigan

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  dreezy 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to decide what to do with a cabin that I own in Atlanta,Michigan.
I see three options at this point.

1. I would be looking for someone to tear off and replace the roof of the building.
I believe some of the osb sheeting would need to be replaced as it has gotten
wet.(I do have the sheeting) The roof is approx 14' x24' The roof is currently
shingled but I believe that the slope is only around a 2/12 pitch. That said I
would like to repair the sheeting and replace with either rolled or rubber
roofing. Tear off could stay on site. I would be more than willing to help move
material and help in any way I can but heights are not my thing otherwise I
would do it myself. :)
2. Option two would be more involved. I would be interested in dismantling
the roof and second story of the building. All materials could stay on site. The
hope would be to salvage the framing material and then put a roof back on it
making it a one story building. Again heights are not my thing. :)
Either of these options I would be looking to hire help by the hour.
Looking to move on either of these options and get started March 8th or 9th. Yes I know it will be cold, but the weather is showing in the 40's right now. I am looking for opinions,advice,and untimatley someone who would want to make some money to help. I am not wealthy so I am not looking for "professional" help.

3. Option three would be to sell it as is.

See less See more
#8 ·
No there is a full block foundation on the back side and the left side of the building. The front and right side rest on block piers. A 2x70 mobile home sat in front of it when I bought it. Only after I removed that did I realize that there was no solid block wall on the front side. The footers were already poured to double the size of it, but I have no interest in increasing its size. I figured I would get the roof redone to stop the damage, and then reside the first floor, and fix the foundation.

#13 ·
No offense taken capone. The problem with the mobile home option is that a mobile home very seldom holds any value. The stick built structure might actually hold some value. It is right across from the lake and there are two brand new stick built home right next to it. I was hoping to rescue the cabin before it gets too bad. Seems like it might be a worthwhile investment. I just cant afford to throw a ton of money at it at this point. But I figured that if I can get it dried in and fix the foundation problems that I could leave it sit awhile until I have the funds to finish it off.

#14 ·
93trackaddict. To apease the current building inspector I would have to use the foundation,etc. of the current building. Otherwise it would have to meet the current code for minimum building size which would be 900 sq. ft. I am not really interested in building anything that large.... The building inspector kind of implied that as long as it looks like I salvaged a good part of the building on the current foundation that he wouldn't give me any trouble.

#17 ·
I definitely see potential here. Cleaned up sealed in and sided maybe enlarging the main floor a little to make the top floor not look so inproportionate. Pm or post what you are willing to sell it for I am interested. Does this place have a googlable address?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.