Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Bfg mt km2 or Mickey Thompson claws

8K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  b00mer81 
#1 ·
Looking to get some new tires what would you recommend.
I was looking at the Bfg mud terrain km2 or the Mickey Thompson
Baja claws. Any thoughts on these two tires.

#4 ·
Love my km2s.I have about 65,000 miles on my 32s and they still have about a third of their original tread.I will buy them again as soon as these are used up.My only complaint is they have no siping from the factory for ice.I spent $40 at discount to have mine siped and it made a night and day difference.

#6 ·
I absolutely hated my km2's.....the lateral traction is horrible.....both in winter driving and on the trails, rain too.....all the truck would do is pitch sideways. I kept them for only about 10k miles and sold them....they sucked that bad. I replaced them with hankook dynapro mt's which were 100x better.

#8 ·
What kind of vehical? What load range? I am curious how everyone loves them except you,wonder if it has to do with the rig they are on.I think most mt type tires have siping from the factory,which the km2s lack.I think that siping might help a little in the rain.
I have 65,000 miles on mine on a lifted tj.I drive it all year long and rarely,if ever,do I use 4x4 in the snow.I have had no problems with spinning out or lateral stability.My jeep has a trutrac in tha back also,which should make it worse.
I thought about the hankooks,as well as the duratracs.Tires are so exspensive I will have a hard time trying something else when my km2s have worked and worn so well.

#9 ·
I had the MT baja MTZ on my old truck and i loved them. They are a little more expensive but i never got stuck and i ran them all year. There great on and off road. I had about 55,000 miles on them when i sold my truck and they still had about half the tread left. I hauled everything under the sun with them too and had no issues at all. I dont know anything about the KM2s

#21 ·
both. i DD'd my last set. Drove to Rausch Creek in PA on them, Wheeled them in Moab, Drove the 150 mile round trip to work a bunch of times, as well as all kinds of local driving and wheeling. Best tire ive ever had. Took some weight to balance them, but they stayed true and didn't make much noise on the road. I loved them so much i sold my little ones and bought bigger ones.

#24 ·
How the sidewall bulges when you drop the PSI. With the Kevlar sidewall I don't know how well the sidewall would bulge and I've read people have had problems (not quite sure what they are exactly). When you drop PSI have you experienced any problems?

#26 ·
i loved how mine bulged at low PSI. I ran mine at 9 psi usually. it squated nicely. i had no issue with sidewalls. i ran them at the dunes once with 5psi. on 15x8 aluminum rims. no beadlocks.
My old man ran his 35s around 10 psi and they squated nicely as well. Never an issue.

#35 ·
but it doesn't look bad with the 35s on it.

I now own the explorer and been impressed with the MTRs. I was DDing it for a couple of weeks and with a spool in the rear they handled good even in the rain. I've put more on road than off road miles on them and they are hardly showing any signs of wear. Like alboy said they do take some weight to balance though. In the mud they clean out fairly well i'm waiting to try them in the snow.

#42 ·
The MTR's are great on rocks and dirt, but not so good in mud. I love my KM2's. They walked most of the rocks in Purgatory and every ledge in the quarry at the badlands, but also clean out real well in mud. I don't drive mine on the road at all though, strickly trail duty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.