Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Never Enough.....SAS blaZeR2

100K views 530 replies 74 participants last post by  Judd 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s my first build.

I would first like to thank my grandparents and especially my grandpa for all of his help with the build. I have been doing all of the work in his shop with his help. This both of ours first truck build but, not his first time in the garage... Ill let you see some of the toys that have rolled out of the garage before :naughty:

As of now
99 Blazer zr2
4.3 v6
-msd ignition
-jba headers egr delete
-flowmaster super44
-gibson 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust
-missing kitty
5 speed
31 bfg at's
torsion bar lift
lift shackles
homemade front bumper

Here it is

Here is my first stuck:sonicjay:

See less See more
#94 ·
hmm that’s a good point, I forgot about space limitations on the knuckle.

I had my caps tacked and I broke one side at the ears, probably from the ball joint failing. But the other side stretched far enough to oval out the yokes and pop out a cap. They are bad enough that I can see day light around all of my caps and their only held in by the tacks. I was hoping that these would be a cheap way to keep the ears from stretching.

#98 ·
I should have the manuals by the weekend, and I found out it wasn’t a fuel problem. It’s a problem with the spark. I have replaced the entire ignition system with no luck. I found that I have power to the coil, leaving it to be the interment pulse. The crank position sensor sends the pulse to the computer and then the computer sends it to the ignitron control module which feeds the coil.

I’ve replaced and checked for continuity at the CPS so the computer is getting a signal. However it looks like this is also how the computer shuts the truck off. So it could be a security problem or the Inertia switch.

Could be anything at this point

#100 ·
Tacking the caps won't keep the ears from stretching. They just keep the caps from coming out if the snap ring fails. I've seen a lot of people do it but I've never seen the need if the yoke is in good shape. If it's not in good shape, you're going to have joint failure anyway.

#104 ·
That’s a factory design, Ford used the wedges to attach their radius arms to the axle. Nice thing about the wedge design is that you can buy degreed bushings to achieve the proper caster angle. Another nice thing about the wedge design is that the coil mounts on top of the radius arm mount, saving a ton of room on the axle.

#110 ·
Its super stable on the road, even without sway bars. I could use one for those windy days though. It rides a lot smother/softer than when it was IFS, even with leafs in the rear I’d say it rides better than my buddy’s tj :teehee:

On the trail it is just as stable, I’m sure a lot of it is due having a wider WMS. The flex is great too, I don’t get any binding as my coils are trapped and I lift a tire before it binds. The trapped coils also help with keeping it stable; you don’t get those weird unloading characteristics. I haven’t measured its RTI score but last time when I was at UORC there was a jeep on 42s next to the ramp and it looked like I could park on it. I’ll be able to tell you after Snofari, if I can get up on Bevertowns tire :d:

#113 ·
:teehee: just because the cam is turning does not mean it hasnt jumped timing, you might want to check and make sure the distributor is spinning too. I have a complete motor sitting at jj's if you need anything. Good luck with it, i wish i could be more help.

#116 ·
Better get that thing running before snofari! I think ima need a new fuel pump before we go as it takes 2 cranks of the key to start. Btw I have a jeep they arnt suppose to ride smooth on the road besides I have a blown shock:finger:

As far as the ears stretching goes I feel your pain with the turdy. Thinking a d60 is the solution:thumb:

#120 · (Edited)
Alright I think I have my no spark/no start issue figured out. I just checked the timing chain last night and it didn’t jump so that’s all good. And I just ordered a new computer from Autozone. I’m hopping that’s it, everything else checks out to be ok. The new computer comes in on Friday so ill find out then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.