Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

AHAHHA k&n oil filter...its a beast

5K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 · (Edited)

#3 ·
Same exact filter as the Mobil 1 except it has a nut welded on the end of it. They are excellent filters though! If you don't need the nut save a few bux and just get the Mobil 1, on some cars though that nut is a nice feature and well worth the extra 2 dollars.

#9 ·
#12 ·
people are idiots. just because it says K&N on it makes it worth double. the air filters are even worse... they were made with racing in mind. never for a daily driver. I would be willing to bet a K&N air filters takes 5-10% off the life of a motor.

#16 ·
i am not sure which is more stupid this video of the the filter or the jack ass who thinks an air filter will shorten the life of an engine!?!?!?! cause it traps more shit it will cause the engine to die sooner!?!?! i think that might be the stupidest thing i have read in a while

#23 ·
It is fairly well known that K&N filters, even properly cleaned and oiled, will allow more fine particle dust through than OEM style paper filters. There are stories all over the internet about people dusting diesels and ruining them. Speaking of which, I need to order a new dry filter for the Cummins. I'm running an AFE, but even they have gotten away from the wet oil filters.

#25 ·
I have seen pics of many PSD turbo's eaten up from K&N filters not catching all the small particles. Talk to a few diesel mechanics and see what they say.

#26 ·
oh gawd here we go.

i have been banned from many ranger sites for this argument.

if K&N air filters were so bad that they make motors blow up like some say i think they would have been off the market years ago!

i would make comment on my personal experience with them but its pointless.

#28 ·
here's some info.

i have been a professional mechanic for over 10 years, worked on stuff for over 20 years.
out of all the blown up motors i have ever replaced, and it has been many (very many), never one of them has had a K&N air filter installed!

#32 ·
i have more years under my belt as a tech than you and i have replaced "many" engines that were dusted from bad or poorly maintained air filters.

id honestly say 1/3 of those had K&N filters. the rest were various filters that were hella dirty.

K&N filters are sweet for racing and hipo applications, they allow massive amounts of flow. they do this while not filtering all the small particles. it has been proven time and time again.

im not baggin ya and i dont want to fight but they are crap and thats all there is to it.

oh and if you have a maf sensor good luck with a K&N filter too. man i make good money when a maf sensor fails due to a K&N filter.

#29 ·
Im not going to get into a pissing match with you over data vs experience, but when someone asks or mentions using or wanting to use K&N filters I will tell them what the data shows. I am not going to recommend something that gets a failing grade in its intended area of function, stopping dirt from entering the engine. :poke:

#31 ·
humm i will give you some what on the diesel... but i find that its normally from an under/over oiled filter. If they were so bad walker airsep would have been out of business years ago from all the heavy diesel apps they have using K&N filters as there bases. but what do I know I work on a few hundred diesels a year and I would say 90% of them have the walker airsep set up on them and most have well over 3000 hours on them... and none of them have failed... and my own personal jeeps have had them for years.. hell my wrangler with 150k+ on it has had a K&N be it open element or drop in for over 15 year with out issue... I do run the dust sock on the open element when running in sand but thats just common sense

#33 ·
Let's think about K&N air filters for a second. Their only two claims to fame is that they flow more air than a paper element and they can be cleaned and reused. The increased air flow is due to a larger pore size than a paper eliment. The oil is also used to attract and trap lighter particles. This is still less efficient than a paper filter. You can also jam a shitload of debris in a K&N filter and they will still work. This is again due to the large pore size. A paper element will choke itself out with the finer particals that a K&N filter will pass.

I used to use a K&N filter on my mud bogger because you could get the element wet and it would still function. Get a paper element filter wet and see how well your vehicle drives.

K&N filters are a great product for the right application (High performance). If people are buying them trying to save money by no longer needing paper filters, they are bullshitting themselves.

#34 ·
one of my F250's is sitting back by the shop right now with low oil pressure because it got muddy water through the sock and the K&N, and right into the engine...granted, its just a BDMT, and it was from hitting a hole way too hard, but the water and mud still went through the filter without damaging the filter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.