Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

scrap without a title

4K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  pyrowaves 
#1 ·
anyone know how to scrap a truck cab without a title? long story short i bought a truck without a title guy said hes just gotta find it. no problem. well guy can't find it doesn't have any paperwork on the truck. so now ive disassembled the truck and need to get rid of the cab and bed. someone told me the police can identify the vehicle and give me some form saying it's abandoned and i can use that to scrap it. anyone else have any ideas?

#7 ·
I took a rust bucket cj to Regals in Howell. They never asked me for a title. Gave me cash and when I was walking away I asked if they wanted a title and the guy reluctantly took it (it wasn't in my name even).

The other one I cut into pieces. I brought the title, but the second time I didn't bother giving it to them.

#6 ·
2 of the smartest, logical and most active members here gave you pretty much the same answer.

but i guess you dont know how to take good advice. :poke:

and no i dont know a good answer for your question but the other two answers sound like a good way to go.

#12 ·
I have taken cars in for scrap with no title before. The scrap yard just wanted me to have the car cut in half when I brought it to them.

I would roll it onto the trailer and cut them in half, with the gas tank and battery removed. A torch works well. Just be careful, the carpet may catch on fire.

#16 ·
The other thing, is just call your scrap yards. I stated what is required for the place that I take my scrap to. I have been turned back for not having a title to a complete cab and partial frame (FPT processing, they also own parts galore). I know some places do take without a title.

Its not a crime to call and ask, every place will be a little different.

#25 ·
Ive taken all my scrap jeeps to the scrap yard in Pontiac off of Collier road for years. As soon as they see a firewall they will want to see a title, if not in your name they will want you to sign the title at-least. During the summer i brought in a Cherokee shell/intact with firewall. They sent someone down right away(while still on the scale) to verify the title Vin to the tag on the firewall, if no tag they'll look for one briefly. If he cant find one, he'll refuse to except your scrap, end of story. If you dont have a title do as Hagger said. Cut'er up. If its not stolen then theres nothing to worry about.

#27 ·
I am currently going through the process of getting a title for a vehicle I purchased without one. It's a PITA. Have the person you bought the truck from get a duplicate title. If you can't get a title I would suggest cutting the cab up in to 2 or 3 pieces. Take the pieces in seperately over the course of 2 or three days.

The State has really tightened up documentation for scrapping vehicles with salvage yards. Because of this you will have to work alittle harder to get rid of your unwanted truck parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.