Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Drummond Island- Fri & Sat April 20 and 21st

10K views 202 replies 30 participants last post by  Blackjackbender 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if there was any interest on getting a run together in march or april, on drummond island. I know there had been some talk a couple of months back about a run, but nothing ever came about. I know there are several guys that would be interested, but lets get some ideas? What weekends work good, and are there any previously planned runs?

I have commitments the last weekend of march, and the first weekend of april. I also may have something the end of april as well. That leaves the weekend of the 14th or the 21st to plan a run. I figure it would be best to do the run in april if possible, so that we can run the trails that are normally snowmobile trails in the winter. (Those trails close the 1st) We would also run Turtle Ridge. Any interest or ideas?

EDIT: THE RUN IS NOW SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY APRIL 20 AND 21ST. On friday we will go to marble head, and run a couple of the public trails like the "tight twistys" as well. On saturday, we will run most of the upper, and spend the majority of the day down in the "newer" lower section of the park. It will be wet, snowy, and slick. This is not a stocker run.

REQUIREMENTS for the run will be: at least aggressive 33's, one locker, and solid front and rear tow points.

See less See more
#5 ·
I would like to try and throw out a date here, and maybe get some more interest. I would like to get an "informal" run together the weekend of April 20-21 if possible, that is a Friday and Saturday. I will most likely head up on Thursday, the 19, though. We could wheel Friday, and Saturday, heading home Sunday. If we plan the run in April, it would make Drummond much more exciting due to the amount of snow and water still on the trails. This is still in the planning stages, hopefully we can generate some interest here

#11 ·
i had considered that weekend, but a friend of mine would really like to make the trip, he has a cherokee on 35's and he cant make it that weekend, so I think that the weekend of the 21st will work better. I would not suggest going alone that weekend however...the snow is usually still pretty deep, and without a winch and proper recovery gear, you may find yourself up shit creek pretty fast. I am going to stick to the the weekend that I mentioned before, and try to work around that. Maybe you could work something out, and try to join us?:woot:

#18 ·
:sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

That right there is funny. We could take you places that your ranger on 31's would have to be dragged through and it would be loosing parts as it went.

Besides...it's April...these 2 pics were taken in May of last year.

This one is on 37's....

This one is on 35's....

Then there is always Marblehead...and if it's covered in snow....well.....

Or Turtle Ridge....

#20 ·
those are just the state owned trails....plus we will be running the lower section of turtle ridge(private ORV park). really tight, rocky, and muddy. it gave challenge to guys on 39's dry this summer. it will be snow covered, crazy, wet....fun:woot:

#24 ·
I don't have a winch, but will have recovery points front & rear. The rear axle is also welded. Would a Jeep on 34s do OK? I don't really want to be crossing water that deep, though. I'm also a wheeling "newb" (for whatever that's worth).

Craig

#25 ·
Craig, yours would be fine, that actually is a good size tire for drummond island. You will probably make it just about everywhere (depending on what you decide to try), and if you get stuck, thats no big deal. We will have winches, and the means to get you out. That is probably one of the deepest holes on the way to marble head, and it also has a bypass. If you do not want to do water that deep, thats fine, understandable.

#29 ·
hahahaha....the first water hole is a shocker pic. He was the only one to try that hole and he made it out. There is a bypass around it. But saying a open rig on 31's will walk over the island is a little crazy.

Can a rig on 31's make it out to marble head in the dry? Sure. Is it gonna do the best part of the steps? No. Will it make it out there in April? Depends. This yota on 31's went out there with us on May 8 last year. We had to drag him through alot of the deeper stuff.

I don't want to scare the guys away that would have fun on this run.

Craig, you'll be fine...I think. :tonka: It all depends on how much snow remains when we go. Depending on snow conditions, ice conditions and melt conditions, it could be very difficult for anyone.

Remember....deep snow will will make it just as rough as an early melt. An early melt will mean more mud, deeper water and thicker icy patches.

This isn't a stocker run. Far from it. As much as I like to take a group of stock rigs out there (I do it about 3 times a year), a run in April on the island can one of the most difficult times to be there.

I haven't been on the lower portion of Turtle Ridge in April before, but I was there on May 20 last year and it was...well...ummm...lets just say it was interesting. :sonicjay:

Yup...that's Kevin (JeeperzCreeperz) and it's broken. :tonka:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.