Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Harrison, MI

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Paul04TJ 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. My wifes parents have a place up in Harrison, MI right accross the street from lilly lake. Is there any place to legally wheel up there. I thought I read something about running the power lines but I also don't want to get in trouble with the DNR. Thanks.

#4 ·
powerlines in merideth are legal...about 20 minutes from harrison,I am 15 miles from there,let me know when you are coming up and I will show you around.Roadhouse knows the area also

#9 ·
we tried that route over last weekend.....snowmobile trail over the winter.Upnorth said up in grayling some routes are snowmobile trails in the winter and you can still go on them....not sure about that one though

#16 · (Edited)
To answer the legallity of power lines, most are private property or at least leased to the power company in that area. They do not want or need the liability that comes with motorized recreation on lands in their control.

The few that do allow it have what Roadhouse explained as seasonal roads or ORV signed routes that travel down the power line right of way. As a side note the ORV route on the south side of Gaylord called the Northbranch route, actually has the signed route moved off the "right of way" and back onto public land. This is one of the routes GLFWDA has through it's ORV grants for trail maint. and we have been asked to move the signage off the "right of way" However one might percieve themselves as still being on the power line as the two trails run side by side with the power poles only being a few yards away as you traverse it.

#20 ·
If powerline is wet you are wheeling in a wetland. Got stoped by DNR CO Wood, east of 18, north of Meridth, on powerline, told us they had pics on file of that area when it had cattails, and he could cite us. He also stated "if it looks like fun its probably illigal."
Many good places to wheel in area. Hit the trails and backroads and explore. In the summer you can wheel snowmobile trails. Get a map and find Haskel Lake, a cool spot with deep sand on north end.(soon to be bearmed off and closed by DNR). Trails run up both sides of Muskegon River with many side trails. Challenging hills and sand pits found on west side of river. Harrison Moose Lodge has a off road club that meets first Saturday of every month at 10:00 am. check us out, family orientated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.