Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#1,670 ·
I'de be willing to bet you could sell those tub-rail sliders to every JK that has an LED bar on it.

#1,685 ·
https://www.markwilliams.com/50400.html

Hi-Torque Pro Street Axles
Product Code: 50400

These axles are used in pro street applications with narrowed rear ends. MW Pro Street Hi-Torque axles are forged 4340 steel and custom made for each application. These axles have a thicker flange than standard Hi-Torque drag racing axles and a 45mm I.D. bearing journal to withstand the higher weight and harsher surface conditions. Each axle shaft is tapered from the bearing journal to the spline. The combination of the large bearing diameter and tapered shaft increases torsional and bending capacity. MW pro street Hi-Torque axles are available in 28, 30, 31, 35, and 40 splines. They feature tapped stud holes (1/2" or 5/8") in the bolt pattern or patterns of your choice. Dual patterns available without an extra charge.

#1,687 ·
Or 1541H with rolled spline if you have full size bronco 9"

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/78...Truck-9-35-Spline-Axle-Set/productinfo/22306/

Ford 9 Inch Rear Axle,br> 1978-86 Ford Bronco
1973-86 Ford F100,F150
Pair, 35 Spline Axles Only
1541h Steel!
Detailed Description

Yukons proven reliability and exceptional quality in your Ford 9" rear end!
35 Spline axle set comes with two axles.
Bearings, studs, retainer plates available separately.
REAR AXLES GO THROUGH THESE STEPS:
- Upset forging
- Normalize after forging
- Rough turn
- Fine or finish turn
- Turning of the flange
- Drill holes for the studs
- Splines are rolled
- Final heat treat by computer-controlled induction furnace
- 100 percent Magnaflux inspection for cracks
- Straightening
- Finish grinding
1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986 Ford Bronco 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986 Ford Truck
or stuff for Early Bronco stuff:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Ford-9-Axle-Shafts-35-Spline/products/1093/

#1,689 ·
Well the magnet trick didn't work so I have to pull down the other side to pound out the broken stub :( Sadly my search for options of alternative brands is coming up short. I can't find a decent thread on Pirate less than 10 years old discussing current brands. A couple people have suggested Mark Williams but his shafts are double the price of Moser and since I got 10 years out of this set I would be dead before I would get a return on them. :sonicjay: Still researching...............

#1,691 ·
Yeah well. :finger: at this stage of the game it's not worth it to me. It would be a complete rear suspension re-do, rear driveshaft and links. Not to mention that I still have a wheel bolt pattern conflict. If I ever decide to do a wholesale rear axle swap it probably won't be a 14b anyway. :naughty:

#1,696 ·
Well I'm not sure. :fish: I always thought I had a centered dif and both axle shafts are the same length. Per the pic, you can see that both axles are basically the same length. I started measuring the housing this morning but ran out of time. However, I'm convinced that my shafts should be 2 different lengths by around 3/4". Based on where it broke, it's looking like the spline is only engaged about an inch or so. If that's the case, I'm amazed that it lasted that long.

Rule of thumb on minimum spline engagement is 1:1 IE: since this is a 1.500" diameter axle, it should be engaged a minimum of 1.5". I was hoping to order new shafts today but I think I need to do more detailed measurements tonight.

But, per @CheapThrillB2's comment above, when looking at the other shaft, I see zero reasons to deviate from Moser. (especially keeping in mind that I have taken out a R&P and also snapped a pinion shaft clean off) (well @Ironman Offroad did) :sonicjay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.