Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anyone know of a good mountain bike for $400 or less???

3K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  Gunsworth 
#1 · (Edited)
I cancelled my order for the farkin' Jeep bike, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good bike.

I'd probably be using it for street stuff, but I also plan on hitting the Fort Custer offroad biking trails quite a bit.

Thanks!

-Jim

#8 ·
I guess I just need to stop looking at the trek website!

Is there any place online that has them that cheap, or does anyone know a dealer off hand that carries them (near either Flint or Kzoo)?

Thanks again everyone!

-Jim

#10 ·
Don't go for a full suspension. You can buy a crap full suspension bike for 400 or a decent hard tail, front suspension bike. Go to any independent bike shop. Giant, Trek, Raleigh, etc. are all good brands. The box stores carry decent bikes now, but if you don't know what your looking at I wouldn't recommend them. Most independent bike shops will size you properly, set the bike up right, and include a 1 month tune up (which they need after they get broken in).

#18 ·
Save even more $$$ and buy a early- to mid-'90s fully rigid Cro-Mo MTB. You should be able to find one for $100-200. A high-volume, low pressure front tire (2.3"+) will give you a little cush. Go old school, baby, yeah! :woot:

Craig

P.S. - BTW, all of my bikes (with the exception of my winter single speed Cannondale) are fully rigid...I wasn't kidding around about this option.

#21 · (Edited)
How tall is your skinny ass? I have a nice bike I am selling for dirt cheap. Prolly listing it on the interweb in the next few days. Its a large frame, full suspension Ibis with all XT derailures and blingy shit. Ill post a link later.

#27 ·
I'm 6'1" BTW.

All of this stuff is a little overwhelming right now, but I was under the impression that I'd want something with something decent as far as suspension goes (I'm obviously new at this, but it seems like something without any suspension in the back would be a real PITA on a really bumpy trail).

Thanks for the input and advice, and please keep sending links to bikes!!!

Thanks again!!!

-Jim

#24 · (Edited)
I love my Specialized Hardrock. It's in your price range at around $400 and it's a very good bike. I've beat mine pretty good and nothing has broke unless you count the gay little reflectors on the front, they didn't last when I smacked a tree head on.

Here is a link to my bike
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=07Hardrock

#25 ·
I bought my Trek 3700 ( http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1014600&f=18 ) from http://www.rochesterbikeshop.com/ These guys are great and really help you get fitted for what you need and your price range. Most bike shops you can get payment plans for bikes which I did not know otherwise I would have probably spent $1000 on mine instead of only $310. Since then I've spent probably $200 in upgrades so it really isn't a much cheaper hobby. :stan:Also get a free tune up card good for up to a year after you put your first 30 hours on it. Also plan on spending money on a decent helmet and biking shorts. The shorts help alot! :thumb:

#34 ·
If you don't buy Green's bike, stop by

Kinetic Systems
60 South Main Street
Clarkston , MI 48346-1526
248-625-7000

They are pretty cool, and not far from Flint. I bought my bike from there when I was in college. I still ride, just not as much as I used to. My bro-in-law now does tune-ups on it, but I haven't to replace any major component on it, and I got in 93. Ouch.

#60 ·
ASSBAGS!! I talked to the **** bitch that runs that joint when I went to buy a cart to tow my kid around in and have never been so talked down to in my life. everything I wanted she told me I didn't need, everything I said I didnt need she told me I wanted, finally my wife went to some place in walled lake and bought me the burley cart I wanted that I found on the internet and so far it has been everything I wanted and nothing I didn't need.......cliffnotes, I don't like that place.

#37 ·
Check out www.mmba.org and look in the classifieds. It is the Michigan Mountain Biking Association and there is always a decent priced bike for sale there. You could also venture into Custer Cyclery near the entrance to Fort Custer and talk to Dan. Tell him Kevin sent you. I was in there the other day and saw quite a few decent Giant and Kona bikes with stickers under $400.

#39 ·
See...

I don't even know what's good or not.

I can go to a bike shop and give one a test sit...but that's about it (and even then, I'm not really getting a good idea of how much abuse it could take...hell, I only weigh 158 or so, the bike wouldn't even notice that I was there).

#40 ·
pretty much any entry level mountain bike would be fine. Trek, specialized, gary fisher, giant, kona.. the list goes on. they are all the same. One isnt better than the other, its all about rider preference.
Personally, I hate the fisher genesis geometry, other people swear by it.

I would seriously consider the bike in the link that I posted on mmba, or Mr. greens bike. The price he posted on this site has me thinking about scraping up some cash. thats a lot of bike for the money.

You said you are 6'1", so you probably have a 32-34" inseam? you would probably be happy on a bike with a 19-21" frame. I definately wouldnt go smaller than 19"

Any more questions, just post up.

#41 ·
I would seriously consider the bike in the link that I posted on mmba, or Mr. greens bike. The price he posted on this site has me thinking about scraping up some cash. thats a lot of bike for the money.
Did you post a link to your bike (I think I missed that one)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.