Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anyone know of a good mountain bike for $400 or less???

3K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  Gunsworth 
#1 · (Edited)
I cancelled my order for the farkin' Jeep bike, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good bike.

I'd probably be using it for street stuff, but I also plan on hitting the Fort Custer offroad biking trails quite a bit.

Thanks!

-Jim

#44 ·
Yeah, I just found it.

Homeboy didn't include his location...we need to sick PP on them over there...(that just sounded wrong...)

That one looks like it'd be good (judging by the scratches...I wonder how hard it was ridden). Also, would that one beat the poo out of your butt on bumpy stuff??? (that sounded worse...)

#48 ·
Seriously though. The bike I am selling would fit you perfectly. We are about the same height and it really has allot of nice shit on it. When I was putting the add together I was almost considering buying another newer frame and building another bike from the parts. I almost got sick thinking about getting rid of all of that nice shit. Go look at new bikes with XT from and rear derailures and wheel sets. I seriously am just trying to get rid of the bike and it is a more than fair price for a XT full suspension bike. Not trying to be a salesman, just keeping it real. From what you are saying, my bike is more than you need but you wouldnt be making a mistake if you bought it. Ill bet you you cant eat it!?!

#53 ·
When I was drunk earlier, I may have been within his price. Then I pulled the bike down from the garage ceiling and realized how much bling shit was actually on the bike. I drank another Absolute and tonic and decided on a price. I am now into many more said Vodka and toincs an surfing ebay trying to find another frame to build with said parts. I am pathetic.

#57 ·
That's actually not too bad of a bike. But it does illustrate what I was talking about. The frame is pretty good, but it has the bottom line of every other component. It could be easily upgraded, which it will need if you actually ride it a lot. The only problem is the rear shock is not upgradeable; the one on it is fine if you don't do aggressive trails. I don't mean to bad-mouth your bike, it's actually a very good deal for an entry level mountain biker, but it is definitely a compromise. Plus you will either have to tune it yourself or pay a bike shop to do it before riding (unless you trust Wally-world's bike putter-togetherers :d: )

#61 ·
I have two trek 4900's As I mentioned both have been good bikes, I ride hard, my wife doesn't. I rode 3-5 days per week on the trails when I was in MQT going to school. I also rode the bike to work and class. I am on my 2nd or 3rd set of brakes, my 2nd or 3rd chain, and my 3rd or 4th set of tires. I can't remember to be real honest.

What I can say is for the $500 bucks I spent I couldn't be more pleased. Do I wish I had a dual suspension Kona like all my friends? Hell yeah, but I kept up with them and never had a problem with my bike. I think for a beginners bike a trek 4900 would be a great option.

One of my brothers has a 4300 which is a little cheaper but seems to be pretty darned close on quality, to a newcomer I don't think it would be a big deal as a first time bike.

I think Hosecockey rides a 4500 and again it's a dickhair cheaper then what I have but basically the same bike, since his and my brother with the 4300 are newer they are probably just as nice as my 4900 which is now 4-5 years old.

What I am saying is that Mr. Green is offering up a very nice bike for the $$$ range you are talking, but if you want new, go to a Trek dealer and get a 4000 series bike and be happy for a few years.

#62 ·
If you are only gonna spend 400$, go for a couple year old 9 speed of some sort that some old dude bought to be cool but never rode. Aside fromn that Id be weary bout buying a used bike. You never really know how much it was ridden, and the drivetrain can be $ to replace.

At that price range the manufacturer isnt gonna matter, so go for one in your favorite color like most people in that range do.

You dont need a full susp in MI unless you lack coordination or are a pansy that needs a soft ride. Especially at Custer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.