Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1997 F-150 Red rocket

7K views 109 replies 24 participants last post by  shifty_85 
#1 ·
Yes i know this is a 4x4 site but im out to do what ricky bobby said "I WANNA GO FAST!" i have a 97 F-150 with the 4.6L a modifed CAI. i had the K&N 77 set up then i messed with it have the air filter pretty much on the TB and a hood scoop directing the air to the filter. Pacesetter Longtube headers true duals into 3" Jegs cut-outs into 3" dynomax bullets and the pipes end there *Real exhuast set-ups dont need hangers or X-pipes :sonicjay: and a huge E-fan. Also i have a pillar pod with water temp, trans temp and oil press. from Glowshift 140 bucks shiped for every thing. Just got some new shoes for the F-150 went from Dunlap radial rover to BFG A/T's 265/75/R16. im prob going to be heading to livernois as my next power up grade and have them dyno tune my truck. 400 dollars for 3 tunes a programmer and an hour on the dyno. 80 bucks for 2 dyno passes if you wanna get your truck dyno tuned i still have the number. Ill get some pictures of the Red rocket up in my next post.

Any other ideas on how to add HP?

#6 ·
i was thinking of getting a bottle for it but with my luck ill prob blow up the motor. ive already blown up a rear diff and a tranny in this thing. something to do with brake torques every day after school for 6 months... a buddy of mine is getting rid of his 2V 4.6L outta his mustang i was gonna buy it off him and build it up. or do you think i should just build this one up? Also i have a set of heads of a police interceptor but there from 94 i donno if they'll fit on my truck. i wanna gonna get cams and do head work then put them on.

ill save the big block for a ranger project 460 ranger anyone??...masterbeatty..hehe

#8 ·
red rocket sparky red rocket.

seriously dude, it's a 4.6 if you want it to be fast you are going to have some work to do. you'll feel more power from gears and a shift kit than you will from a custom tune. also...if you seem to want to stay with the 4.6 as your main category of power, you're s.o.l. until you get a power adder.

#11 ·
i just had the trans rebuild 1,000 and me and masterbeatty droped it our selfs they just did the rebuild. ive been thinking about regearing alot but i dont know anything about it. were to get it or how to do it. i had my rear diff replaced about 2 years ago...man brake torques are hard on these parts i guess :)

how bout 1 turbo or even 2..i was looking into the STS turbos for a while but i just dont have that kind of money. ive really been thinking about a 50-75 shot of Nitrous but with my luck id blow somthing up. Also does anyone know the website for the kit to put an Eaton M90 *Supercoupe 3.8L supercharger* onto a 4.6L? i can get an eaton M90 from my junkyard for 100 bucks. Thanks guys

#12 ·
i had a nx kit on a 97f150. i had the 5.4 though, ran 75 shot for 2 years no issues. it is your gheapest power.

#13 ·
i dont know much bout nitrous either. my buddys dad has a TB spacer he said hed drill out and put the nitrous jets in he told me just get the bottle and he'll help me do it. What are the rules about it? ive heard dont use it under 3,000rpm and dont bounce off the rev limiter with it. and also isnt 75 the most you can run safely on stock internals?

#15 ·
Looks like you need to do some research, as you dont seem to know much about anything. like what gear ratio would be good for power w/ the tire size you run, etc. find a site that deals more w/ the 4.6 in general, like power mods, forced induction, etc

#17 ·
looks like he forgot to mention its 2wd. he threw around the pre runner idea. but he wheels it eventhough its 2wd hes put it places i never though it would go. and he is on a f150 site but people there arnt as cool as the people here. and he does know a fair amount so before you go off on him pay attetion. gears and nitrous are involved for someone who is 20 and not much experiance around that. setting up gears is no walk in the park for the average person

#18 ·
thats why I payed somebody to setup my gears. I also know that if your rough on rear ends, etc. from brake torques, that it might not be the smartest idea to be putting $$ into nitrous or forced induction on a stock motor, when it is better spent on other things. Like gears, beefing up a trans to handle a beating, etc [I am also 20 yrs old]

#19 ·
well he has a brand new trans. i helped put it in. the rear diff also is new but its 3.55s because ford did it when the old one went boom not tryn to be a ya no out of line or anything but he didnt mention all his plans im sure. so maby askin what he planned to do would be better than assuming. i have a bottle for him to put in and i can make a throttle body spacer and drill and tap it but he knows that it would go boom with his right foot and a go fast button.

#21 ·
nah ill leave it stock heght. and yes masterbeatty is right ive took my truck places that most 4x4 trucks will never see.

i know my fair share i just dont know about Gears and nitrous. ive installed long tubes E-fans a CAI, swaped my tranny. i will admit i dont know everything thats why im asking i would like to learn. but im not the guy who takes his truck to shops or the ford dealer. only reason my truck went to ford for the rear diff is its my DD and i needed it ASAP didnt find an 8.8 in my local junk yard and i donno how to mess with gears. yes i would like to throw soem 4.10s or even 4.30's at my truck but i dont know how to do it. Nitrous would be fun and it would be nice for power on demand. but i dont wanna blow my motor up. Just wanted to post on here to see if i could get some ideas for my truck to go a lil faster with out blowing alot of money.

Also a kid at my school is getting rid of his only 4.6L outta his mustang i was thinking of buying it and beefing that up *Cams, head work, gasket kit and what not* then droping it in my truck.

#22 ·
r. only reason my truck went to ford for the rear diff is its my DD and i needed it ASAP didnt find an 8.8 in my local junk yard and i donno how to mess with gears. yes i would like to throw soem 4.10s or even 4.30's at my truck but i dont know how to do it.

Also a kid at my school is getting rid of his only 4.6L outta his mustang i was thinking of buying it and beefing that up *Cams, head work, gasket kit and what not* then droping it in my truck.
You couldnt request a ratio when you had it done? also, sounds like a decent idea w/ the motor. But Im afraid to say you have picked the wrong thing to make 'fast' w/o doing alot of work, or throwing alot of $$

#25 ·
i threw around the idea of a 6.0 or a 7.3 swap for a while at parts galore only 230 bucks for any V-8 there. that would be alot of down time for my truck thoe its a DD. Yeah once this triton Turbo..or rubband gets up there it goes for what it is. i pull 04-07 5.4L all day long. and i hung with a 98 5.4L im really thinkin of the go fast stuff. i prob could have request ford to regear it but i had just gotten the truck and didnt know about gears or any of this stuff yet thats why i didnt ask.

Yes i know a 6,000lbs 1/2 ton truck isnt the best car or truck to pick to wanna make fast. Lightnings cost to much and i like having a truck for hauling stuff. i think im gonna go to parts galore soon and see if i cant find an 04-06 Mustang or F-150 with PI heads.

#26 ·
well guys its been a while since ive been on figured id update yall on my go fast plans! i wanna get a set of 4.10 gears or even a whole new 8.8 with 4.10s posi and rotors insted of drums.

im gonna cut off my 3" dynomax bullet mufflers go down to 2 1/2" pipe and bullets then do dual lightning style exits before the rear tires. save up 400 bucks and go get it dyno tuned.

Also not go fast worthy but im getting new cailpers as these ones have been in 12 years and are now sticking badly and draging the whole truck to the right.

Got 180 bucks back in tax money 40=new cailpers 40=gas tank to go in place of spare 80= new mufflers. After working 3-4 weeks i should be able to get dyno tuned.

im really kickin my self now there was a free 4.6L 2V on craigslist all i had to do was go pick it up waited to long and someone else got it!!! i was gonna take it down to bare block get a forged crank maybe get it bored out have head work done + comp cams. but i waited to long and it went buh bye

If anyone knows were i can get a cheap 4.6L or 8.8 axle with 4.10s posi and rotor brakes or even just 4.10 gears send me a PM or write back. Thanks guys!

#27 ·
new plans!!! 2wd to 4x4 swap!!! im going to find a 78 or 79 doner truck rip my whole front end off put the 44 up front use the coil buckets and the coils get about 8" of lift on the front put the radius arms and all that on. then get a lift kit for the back to match the front lift.

heres the hard part i just got my trans rebuild 4R70W 2WD is there any adapter i could get a swap a tailshaft to put a transfer case on without getting a new trans? any help on this would help out alot!!!

Exhuast and gas tank 2 morro then savin money to do my 2wd to 4x4 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.