Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Running Weird.

3K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L(318). I just did a tune-up on it and it ran fine for a couple days. Then the check engine light came on but then shut off a little bit later fter the truck sat. I think the truck reset the Check Engine after so many starts. I think its like four cranks and if the problems gone the light shuts off. but anyways I did the tune-up friday. It ran fine friday,Saturday, and then Sunday after noon I got on it a little bit and it fell right on its face. So I amde it home and screwed with it a little bit. If I bring the RPMs up slowly its fine. But if I hit the gas to Hard it wants to stall. Also I have a really hard time starting it. But when it starts it idles perfect. Anyone got any ideas??
Thanks, A.J.Hall!.

#32 ·
Dude! Dodges run best on champoins!!! I've tried others and I always go back to the champs.
And if you are really tired of dealing with this I know a great mechanic that very good at diagnotics(i'm not god at spelling)He's in Allegan
Trying to help!

#36 ·
A 97 I think is new enough to use only one temp sensor for both the pcm and gauges It would be under the A/C compressor(or in that area) into the intake. you would might see it wile changing a alternator it you temp gauge doesnt work and you saw a broken sender i would fix that first as it is a known problem. I forgot to plug the temp sensor in on mine when i put it back together and it ran like crap

#39 ·
OK EVERYONE. The truck is fixed.lol. It was the coil. We pulled it off because we had no other options. The whole bottom of it was like ruste and cracked and stuff. So we put a new one on and it runs great now. WE didnt think it was the coil because it had good spark. But all the stuff I replaced was bad anyways. soo. But Thank You to everyone. I appreciate it veryyyyyyyyy much. Thanks for takeing time out of your day to help.

#40 ·
thank you for posting what it really was.

#42 ·
fyi, the 2 temp sensors behind the alt are as follows--- 2 wire, sensor to the ecm to tell temp. the one wire goes to the dash to control the gauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.