Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

putting a truck 6.0l into a 1981 z28.

3K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  TboneK1500Z28 
#1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a lq4 out of a Chevy HD, assuming the seller and I come to a agreement. I do not want to change my brackets up, it would eat up a lot of money I don't want to spend on brackets. Much rather spend it on gold chains and wife beaters.

Short version: will a 2005 lq4 out of a 2005 2500 HD fit into a 81 camaro without changing the accessory brackets, oilpan, intake etc...

#2 ·
The current engine is a 350 SBC with a low rise intake, a qjet carb and all the accessories.

#3 · (Edited)
All the accesorys will work accept for ac compressor, which they make a bracket to locate it to the top passanger side of the engine istead of the lower passanger side which would hit the frame. Besides that you need to think about converstion headers which i ordered mine from Schoenfield headers and then mounts. Mounts I used was stock chevy v8 with a conversion mounts from Dirty Dingo. Had problems with those lining up, they sent me the 4x4 mounts which didnt fit, and they finally sent me the 2wd ones after lots of back and forth. Transdapt also make converstion mounts. Running my 92 chevy c1500 on the 2006 Silverado 5.3 using the 5.3 engine alternator, power steering, waterpump. the engine had ac but I just took off the bracket off the block since the scrapyard kept the ac compresser anyways. Also somthing i didnt think about was the oil pan, I would recommend a 5qt conversion pan, I believe holly makes it and do it while the engine is out. My 6qt truck oil pan is the lowest hanging thing on my lowered truck. I will be changing that out before summer, just didnt think about it while it was out and I wish I would have. I works for now and set into place with the truck pan with no clearance issues at all and honestly if it was a 4x4 or not lowered I would think it would never be an issue.

#4 ·
Mounts are easy any monkey can make those. I may just do a AC delete idk. Good info man, I appreciate it.

#5 ·
yeah they are if you can weld and honestly when the first ones didnt fit I almost had them fabbed up by someone local but the guy from dirty dingo sent me the right ones finally and it worked great. Just use the stock motor mounts for that car and mount a plate on the 6.0 and start from there. AC wasnt a big loss for me cause the truck didnt have it anyways. :sonicjay:

#6 ·
The oil pan was a concern as well. I am a cheap fuck, I am just gonna make a little skid.

#7 ·
If you havne't yes, register at ls1tech.com (or dont even need to register, really) and look for the hybrid forum. Its all about swapping LSXs into non LSX vehicles. There ought to be a few of these swaps done already.

In general, its easy to make motor mounts, but you might also find it a time saver if there are vehicle specific ones out there that position the motor how it needs to sit for that setup.

The AC compressor is a separate belt and bracket, so you can remove that and pitch it, unless you are wanting to keep AC in the car.

#10 ·
We fit a cummins in a Chevy without and sheet metal modification we should be able to bang this bitch. I spent a bit of time over on the ls1 forum. Lots of good info but I really like to pick your brains oh saviour. I kinda want AC but the headers wont work with it and we would need to relocate the pump.

#19 ·
If my truck is any indication of how the car will drive I will be very pleased. With minimal modification I am looking at around 450 hp. I found headers for 250 but wont work with AC. I would prefer to find some manifold, I dislike headers.

#31 ·
i know quite a few people who have done swaps into cars.

as for me im not really sure about ac i think you might have enough room to tuck it in there but the sway bar might be an issue.

the oil pan id switch to a f body pan so it doesnt interefere with ground clearance but i dont think itd be all that low.

as for headers ill check with some buddies who have done ls swaps and see who the have gone through.

#32 ·
Sounds like a cool swap

Are you going to use the existing fuel injection or do the MSD ignition and carb manifold?

One thing that sucks about the truck wiring harness is that the PCM is next to the drivers side manifold, mounting it inside the car might be difficult. It's hard to get it to look pretty if the PCM is on the fender

Also keep in mind 05 will be DBW so you will want the pedal assembly if you decide to keep factory FI

Another pan option I don't think that has been mentioned yet is the CTS-V oil pan

What trans???

#33 ·
FI all the way. I don't care for carbs. Really wanting the complete setup from a wrecked vehicle. The only trans is the 4l80e, they are tough nuts.

#36 ·
thats a crazy amount for a used motor.

id use the fbody oil pan as i believe the cts pan is like the corvette pan and they are batwinged on the sides of the pan which just make doing anything underneath the car a bitch plus they are plantiful off of ls1s

also ill give you dad a call later this evening and see if hes around ive been swamped all day with work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.