Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

If you're not out of the stock market yet

4K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Steve-in-Petoskey 
#1 ·
get ready for a wild ride :)

#33 ·
lol

I pulled everything I have in my retirement accounts into bond funds earlier this month.
fail

I got out earlier this year .
fail

I got out last year around 10k and havent looked back. I cant see the market doing anything but continue to slid sideways for another 3-5 years maybe longer.
fail

I'm investing more every day. you guys are pansies
way to make lots of money

seriously. I'm still up double digits YTD, and I've been extremely lazy with my investments.
bones = smart

Stock prices going down means I get more stocks! I'm doing pretty good.
shawn = smart

Is there a day we should make sure we are out by? i want to make sure i abide by the all-knowing!!!
lol

What is the reason for the crash this time?
by crash, do you mean the best september since 1939?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39416231/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/

#47 ·
fail x12,000

I pulled everything I have in my retirement accounts into bond funds earlier this month. I've missed a bit of an uptick the past 3 weeks, but tax loss selling season should be huge this year.
fail x12,000

I'm investing more every day. you guys are pansies
awesome x12,000

Dow just hit 12,000 bitches!

#7 · (Edited)
I've moved most of my future contributions (probably about 80%) in my plans over to bonds. I have probably 25+ years before I retire and stop contributing. I'm still pretty confident that at some point nearer to the end of that 25 years the stocks I currently have will be worth more than they are now. No use in selling low what I already own especially if I am not taking any income from gains this year or next. I would take a potentially ginormous hit if I got out entirely now.

I figure that the 20% that I am still contributing that goes towards stocks is going to keep buying low over the next 5 or so years. If not, and 5 years from now we are in a massively worse situation than we are right now, I'm young enough, and have enough other investments that that 20% will mean the difference between a beach house in Surf City, NC or a small cottage along Lake Michigan somewhere instead.

#10 ·
seriously. I'm still up double digits YTD, and I've been extremely lazy with my investments.

#13 ·
Well, I am amaized at how many are willing to give their money to some ass in a three piece, who promises to "take good care of your money" and will help you retire "independantly wealthy" I hope it works out for you all, I really do. By the way I will take good care of your money too. Hell you know me better than the clown at the broker office.

#18 ·
jumping on the gold bandwagon, is a good time when ever you hear that the federal reserve is going to practice "unconventional means of further stimulating the economy" or the term "easing" is being thrown around by the FMOC. I agree that buying into the tangible assetts market is scarry when it is at all time highs. Please note their should be a correction between now and the election, then the "easing" will take place after the special meeting that has already been scheduled for November the 3rd. Besides the more of you that jump in now the better position I will be in, Parabolic baby.

#19 ·
don't forget that the US Govt owns 2½x the next closest government in terms of tonnage of gold reserves and that they can just as easily influence the price of gold as they can the value of our dollar by simply tweaking the supply side. industrial use and finished product/jewelry use of gold is fairly insignificant in terms of total reserves even in this 'golden age' of technology.

meaning the demand for gold is simply fear of where else to stuff your pennies with the markets being volatile, real estate markets full of even more risk and governments manipulating their dollar pegs

I'm just letting the 401/457 plans ride it out. can't really touch 'em for another 23+/- years anyway.

of course, now we're just hoping the in-laws don't spend all of my wife's inheritance :teehee:

(they're gutting and remodeling their michigan lake-house again after they just did this 4 years ago - and adding on to it - oh, the house in venice on the golf course was reworked over the summer while they were up here too and he's selling me his BMW so he can buy a new Mercedes.)

#38 ·
Debt = write off, and it has been proven that the sooner you invest, the more you end up with. Buying something with poor return now (as long as you consider its lifetime performance) is buying more shares "on the cheap" - waiting for it to recover.

Also - no matter what, bare MINIMUM you should be investing is up to the max your employer will match, for both you and the doctor.

#42 ·
We took care of our credit card debt because we were fortunate enough to take out a loan through Kate as a student loan. We both combined had $18,000 in CC debt because we were not smart in their use when in college and just out of college.

With the little amount of money I have to invest in the stock market, (not including my 401k) it would pretty much wipe out our savings to invest. $2,000isn't going to do much, when our combined debt with student loans, my car, and the CC debt that was taken care of is roughly $300,000.

If you can come up with an investment portfolio that can make $2,000 make up for all of the interest on $300,000 worth of loans, I'm all ears. That still doesn't account for the risk that the $2,000 could disappear.

#46 ·
Being up over 24% YTD keeps me buying more and more every day!!!

And like CC, I use one credit card to pay another, then another, and yet another. By doing this I can get TONS of points for my Cabelas, Delta and other perks.
Plus I am just now paying for shit I bought back in 2007........:sonicjay::sonicjay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.