Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

New rear bumper is finished.

29K views 326 replies 62 participants last post by  firehawk 
#1 ·
I just got this finished and I'm debating on making a few more to sell. This one is 2" x 6" x 1/4" with 1" clevis tabs and 7/8" clevises. Any feedback? Are they good enough to fetch $299?

See less See more
#7 ·
Picking it up or pulling it is different than relying on it to get you out of who knows where when you are stuck.

I'm not saying that the bumper is weak the frame might not hold up, I would use the 2 side bolts and the one on the bottom of the frame that the hitch is going on.

Id also would have tucked it up under the tailgate a little better and had it a little shorter so the end would tuck between the rear bed fenders

I was just trying to be nice and tell you what I thought about the bumper- I wouldn't pay 299 for a 2x6 with the ends capped off with some simple mounting brackets and d rings/mounts

#9 ·
Care to take a guess on how thick the hitches mounting flanges on your tow rig are? The strength is in the design and pulling it at a 45 degree angle wouldn't budge it. Ever hear of the superstructure of a bridge? I prefer keeping things simple instead of some god awfull cluster of plate that looks out of place on anything but a spaceship or mallcrawler. If you are looking for a useless cluster of plate then please don't call me as I only build things that get used.

#12 ·
I couldnt take it anymore, I just pulled the rear bumper and hitch off my jeep- Gonna make a new one just to show you that its possible to have solid frame mounting without a cluster of plate

My trailer hitch has better mounting than your bumper- mounts to the side and bottom of the frame- Probably so it can resists side to side and up/down pulling better. but the people who make trailer hitches probably dont know anything, you should write them and tell them they are over killing the mounting and a loader couldn't pull off half of the mounting they have

#13 ·
You are one tough dude for sure. Please enlighten us, what kind of fab work do you do for a living? By the way, just guessing here but I don't think you fab steel for a living. You may however, fab things out of steel. I've been a supplier to the steel industry for years and I've yet to see a steel fabber anywhere.

#20 ·
F.Y.I Bones does not know anything about statics and dynamics. I am pretty sure he is talking out of his ass and knows nothing about engineering technology.

ultimatehellhound I think your bumper is more super-badder-assed than anything anyone on this site can build you should sell it for $399. $299 sounds like it's too good to be true! You go girl!!!!

#32 ·
am I supposed to be impressed? I am not. Also building a motor and being competent at it and building a bumper are two different things.

I know lots of motor builders who can't even weld, and welders who can't even chainge oil. It happens, so your ugly ass mustang proved nothing.
My opinion on the first one is it's a nice layout. But for the love of god turn the heat on your MIG welder up since you have no penatration.
Yeah, I'm sure that Bones and the guy who built that chassis (fyi, both raced in KOH, and the guy that built that chassis has sold multiple buggies, his welding is not in question, I have seen it first hand)

Your bracket needs to be gussetted differently, it's constructive criticism, unfortunately you're not smart enough to understand it and take it and make your bumper better.

#23 ·
I just got this finished and I'm debating on making a few more to sell. This one is 2" x 6" x 1/4" with 1" clevis tabs and 7/8" clevises. Any feedback? Are they good enough to fetch $299?
Here's the last vehicle that left my garage. Care to show me your build's? I'm not trying to be a prick but don't come in my thread running your mouth without being able to back it up.

Before some smartass has something to say abiout it the front end is just sitting on it.
Remind me again what it was you were looking for? BTW, if you're going to post pics of your mostest badass past projects, you may want to post some showing them completed and not Elmers glue'd together just for the sake of a photo.

#24 ·
I don't believe anyone was saying that you are inexperienced or that this was your first bumper build. But You asked if anyone would be interested in buying this bumper for a set price and by posting in a public forum, you, are subject to getting criticism whether you like it or not. When people tried to give their opinion on how to make the bumper stronger (which is something people in the offroad community look for when purchasing "upgrade" parts) you over reacted by betting they can't bend or break it. There's people on this forum who probably have more experience building, wheeling, breaking, fixing, designing, redesigning, and education in engineering than you do. Now I'm not saying that you are not smart or good enough, I'm just saying that you need to be open to other ideas people have if you want to build quality pieces that are safe and strong.

#30 ·
#41 ·
I never said I was bent out of shape. If you recall I said I've been laughing this whole time. I also never stated that anything couldn't be changed. I did state that it was a prototype so that means that things wil probably change. Either way, don't buy it I could care less. It was just an offer for anyone who needed anything like it.

On another note: If someone would get the material prices and post them then you would see that my price quote was not out of line.

#59 ·
Forgive me if i'm mistaken here, but isn't it usually the job of the manufacturer to prove their product can do certain things that they claim they should? I have yet to see on any ad out there for any product a dare to "come try and break my botched up pos" line anywhere in Speedwaymotors catalog. Maybe I over looked it tho......:poke:

Why don't you hook that bumper up at a few diff angles and post video.....when we see that it will hold we will all certainly apologize. If you don't post video we will all know your shit broke and prob won't see you posting much here anymore.

Agree with above post to put this on pirate, or even hardline :thumb:

#63 ·
So not only are you bragging about the mad skills you have in welding a piece of 2x6 tube to the back of a BDMT, but also trying to sell said piece of tube for $299?

I'm pretty sure a retarded 7 year old with ADHD could have designed something more visually appealing.

But at least that pretty, shiny paint job on that plain jane, warmed over, hunk of monkey shit bumper makes your truck look like an even bigger beat to fuck, hilljack, piece of shit. So ya got that goin for ya...

#64 ·
As a rule I try not to comment on home built stuff unless it is to say something positive. On the other hand when a vendor is in the wrong forum promoting their stuff, well that is fair game for honest criticism. And the more cocky the vendor is the more fun it is to point out their product’s shortcomings. Since you are not a vendor yet (you certainly are cocky) I’ll make just a few comments.

While people will praise someone’s home built product, most will have a much higher expectation of quality, fit and finish when spending their hard earned $$$. Also, if you are going to sell products it is best to have a thick skin when it comes to criticism. You asked for feedback, did you really expect all positive, ass kissing praise?

What others know but didn’t mention is it is not just about the bumper mounts; the frame mounting points must be taken into account as well. Your design will not help support the frame in a sideways pull like doing the gussets as Bones suggests would. Doesn’t mean your mounts wouldn’t work, just that for a little extra effort they could be much better.

Oh and since you seem to think no one can offer advice unless they have built stuff, here is a picture of a the latest bumper (front) I built for my truck:

This question is open to everyone: Why do squirt gun spray on welders try to make a stack of dimes look? Isn’t that a weaker weld than doing it with a continuous bead?

#66 ·
This question is open to everyone: Why do squirt gun spray on welders try to make a stack of dimes look? Isn’t that a weaker weld than doing it with a continuous bead?
The stack of dimes look is more of a by product of a good weld. Usually. If the heat, speed, wire diameter, ect, is all correct then it usually results in a nice looking weld. With that said some people try to replicate a "stack of dimes" weld and do it without much consideration for the other important aspects of a weld and go for looks only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.