Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Sylvania SilverStar Ultra

6K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  FlatFender 
#1 ·
So since i have a hard time seeing while driving at night, especially when raining, i decided to search for a headlight upgrade. I didn't want lights that appear super bright, blue, or greenish to oncoming traffic. So i ended up buying the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra night vision head light bulbs, and they are awesome! Super pure white light, lights up the road great. They are kind of pricey...$39 AFTER $10 mail in rebate. I was planning on returning them if they were junk, but to me they were worth every penny, night driving is no longer squint to see for me. Mailing off my rebate in the morning!

#2 ·
bright yes...good NO!!!!! I went through 8 in a year in the Rover...stock bulbs lasted over 3yrs...in fact they were still good when I replaced them with the silverstars...too bad I couldn't find them after I started blowing the silverstars...I hope you have better luck with them

#8 ·
Um so you seriously spent 800$ in one year on headlights? :miff:

I have em now seem to work great, and have been goin strong for over 1 year.

however when I tried the capsule ones (not the big sealed beam) on another vehicle they didnt seem to be all that bright...

#26 ·
Same here, I put the Ultra's in my ZJ and they are a tremendous improvement. I'll be getting some new lenses to replace my "Yellowed ones" and that will be the clincher.

They also pimped me like one of Huggy Bear's hookers as well, still haven't received the rebate check. I sent it in back in January.

#10 ·
ive got the Ultras in my truck now and has the Std Silver Stars in my old Sonoma.. These new ones are awsome even brighter than the regs. i had in the noma.. Sweet thing is my Fog lights are std. 9006 and im thinking about tossing the Ultras in there but 9005 (high beam of the 9006 )

#11 ·
i've got them in my WJ and my Wifes Honda.

LOVE THEM

Wives have been in for 2 years, mine for 3.

when you were blowing them, were you touching the glass envelope when you installed them? that is bad.

I also have used them in my YJ for several years, even back when it was my DD and loved them

#24 ·
The sealed beam silverstars are far superior to regular halogens. My experience with the "capsule" style has been less than stellar. Okay light, but not the incredible difference I got when I installed a set on my XJ.

The real trick to brighter lights is to hook your bulbs up to relays with 10 or 12 ga wire right from the battery - have your old headlight lead power the relay. You get a chance, check out the voltage drop between your battery and your headlight terminals - it can be over a volt - and that volt you're losing is worth about 15% in light intensity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.