Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Paypal disputes

3K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  kickstand 
#1 ·
Anyone ever had any luck getting a refund?

I bought an item, sight unseen, took the seller at his word, he wasn't completely honest. Item is significantly more damaged than he disclosed.

I always here people say that paypal tends to protect the buyer, true?

I filed a dispute.

#4 · (Edited)
I didn't see a place to upload a picture.....

I just opened the "dispute" it seems I need to "escalate to claim" if the seller doesn't respond. Which he responded (multiple times) on the message board that I purchased the item from him on, stating
Bike is sold as is, I told you it had tire rub. It came that way to me from the guy I bought it from. I have had no problem with it.
in his final message, I replied and he has since stopped replying.

I guess give him 24 hours or so and then escalate to claim?

#23 ·
It goes both ways. I sold an item that was 100% Working and the buyer broke the item. The buyer filed a complaint and was able to get the funds back. I filed a complaint with ebay and was able to get full asking price plus the broken item back. It helps if you have a good feedback rating and have been a member of ebay/paypal for a good duration of time.

#26 ·
OK, next question, buyer and I came to an agreement.

He can't refund me any money because his paypal account is frozen, due to my dispute.

If I lift the dispute, it will unlock his funds so he can pay me, but once i lift the dispute I can not escalate the dispute or raise it to a claim within paypal.

Paypal's call center is not open yet.

We aren't doing a full refund, he is sending me some of the money back as we worked out a deal for me to keep the rest of the components.

#31 ·
So, just for future reference for anyone, I called paypal this morning, they escalated my dispute to a claim (because they claimed that is the only way to unlock the account and let the seller refund money), so once I authorized the refund amount (we did a partial) the seller was able to call and refund.

Kind of a pain in the ass, but I guess as a buyer you're fairly well protected in that situation, though I'm a bit uncertain of wanting to trust paypal as a seller moving forward. It seems a buyer could decide to be a dick and just straight up lock up your account just for sport if they really wanted to.

#32 ·
I am getting a delivery of a bicycle I bought on Ebay today. I wont be home for a couple of days to see it, but I hope I have better luck than you did. I am excited and scared. I am scarcited. More excited than scared, maybe I am exscareded.

#34 ·
The good news is that the issue was somewhat minor and was more of an issue of misrepresentation on the sellers part.

I've bought a handful of bikes now sight unseen and not had an issue with any of them but this one, you'll be excsarteited.

what did you get?

#35 ·
I got scammed!!! They wont deliver unless I am there apparently :( Fed Ex tracking says they came to deliver, but I was not home. Brings the major sad since I probably wont be able to get it until Monday now.

I bought an S-Works Epic. Nicest thing I have ever owned I am pretty sure.

#36 ·
I bought an S-Works Epic. Nicest thing I have ever owned I am pretty sure.
Baller status.

Did you get 26 or 29'er?

I rode a buddies 29'er Epic out at Pontiac lake one day, It hauled ass, and was still pretty fun and playful (comparing it to my stumpjumper FSR 26 wasn't totally fair as that bike was super fun and playful)

You shall enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.