Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Any Bike Mechanics on GL4x4?

4K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  mikesova 
#1 ·
I have some maintenance to do on my bike (250 Ninja), but I'm not looking forward to it. According to the maintenance schedule the valves need to be check/adjusted (at 500, then every 6k miles) and the carbs need to be synced (every 3k miles). Both of these require special tools. I was just wondering if there were any bike mechanics who are certified to do this stuff, who do it on the side?

#2 ·
Sova, if you have ever turned a wrench then you can check/adjust your valves. In fact, i recomend you be the one to play with your carbs (since you will be the one riding the bike). Having someone guide you through two or three times would be in your best interest though

#3 ·
I know that I should do it, this was just a last possible avenue to check before the inevitable... me doing it myself. ;) It just looks like such a pain in the ass to even get to the valve cover. I guess I need to familiarize myself with the bike anyway...sigh. I guess I need to make a trip to my local kawasaki dealer and buy the valve tool.

#5 ·
thanks, It couldn't hurt to get his number, but I'll probably just do this job myself. :(

#10 ·
I did it today, it wasn't too bad. The undressing is fine as long as you take your time and are careful. I ended up having to readjust the valves 3 times because I didn't read close enough. I first adjusted them all to the intake clearance, then I fixed the exhaust clearances, then I realized I used the inch gauges instead of the mm gauges. Finally have it all buttoned back up. :) Now I'll be ready for next time.

#18 ·
I wouldn't say brave, I just don't care what other people think. It does everything I want and has awesome fuel economy. Should I feel like less of a man because I'm not riding a Gixxer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.