Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Whip 3.0

10K views 128 replies 31 participants last post by  mikesova 
#1 ·
I sold the sexscort about a month ago so I could search for a small pickup to replace it. I wanted to be able to haul my motorcycle(s). I came across this little beauty on c-list 2 nights ago. I contacted the owner yesterday afternoon and picked it up this afternoon. The nice thing was that he held it for me since I was the first person to call and show interest. He was getting barraged with calls all day, but he held it for me. I really appreciated it. The guy I purchased it from is a former marine. He bought the truck while he was stationed in Hawaii to haul his GSXR around. He said he bought it from a 400lb. Samoan guy. So the seat padding and console lid are both "well broke in". It was in an accident, the tailgate, and the side of the box are dented in and the front drivers fender has been replaced and poorly painted. The paint on the roof is totally sunbaked. It's a 4cyl/5spd/2wd w/ 96,000 miles and lots of new parts (tires, battery, shocks, ball joints, etc) Since it's only spent 2 winters in Michigan, it's virtually rust free, except for the spots where the paint was damaged. Anyway, I'd like to thank all the people in the Ford Tech and Chevy Tech forums who gave me all the advice on Rangers and S10's. It's kind of funny that I ended up with a dodge.

It's ugly, but it will do what I want it to do, since it will probably rarely be driven.

I think this is a good example to show that there are still decent used cars out there that aren't way over priced.

See less See more
#5 ·
I drove it from Saginaw to Gladwin so I took 10. It doesn't have any problem doing 70.

#7 ·
I really wish the guy would have replaced the tires with the stock size. He said these ones were 31s(I haven't checked yet). He thought it made it look more like a truck...but with these tires he only got around 18 mpg. I will check what I get and maybe I'll keep an eye out for a set of smaller tires.

#10 ·
you can't make a thread based solely on a great score on a craigslist beater and not say what you paid.

i'll be the ninja/jew here and come out with it.. what kinda deal did you get? :teehee:

#12 ·
2k$. He's put enough new parts into it to make me feel like I stole it. Plus, he said that if any of the stuff needs to be replaced, just to let him know and he'd get it for me because they all have lifetime warranties through auto zone. It also has a really nice like new pioneer mp3 cd player w/ aux input and all nice newer sony speakers on the inside.

#11 ·
I

I think this is a good example to show that there are still decent used cars out there that aren't way over priced.
that depends on what you paid for it. Typically a base model 4 cylinder truck that is all dented up, doesn't really hold much resale value, so unless you got it for sub $1500 you probably paid too much.

Now go price out a 4wd dakota in good shape, it's probably over priced.

They make 4cyl Dakotas?
yeah who knew?

I bet that thing is slower than my gramma and her walker.

#13 ·
yeah who knew?

I bet that thing is slower than my gramma and her walker.

I specifically bought it because it has a 4cyl. I wanted a truck with decent gas mileage. It seems to have decent get up and go, better than I was suspecting. It's a pretty big truck for such a small engine. Tell your grandma when and where and we'll line 'em up. :finger:

#22 ·
It's going to be my daily driver, I just don't need to drive everyday, if that makes sense.

#19 ·
Dakota is a good, solid truck. I have a 2000 quadcab 2WD/4.7L I've owned since new - it's been nearly trouble-free and tows well. My wife is now driving it into the ground as her hospice vehicle.

As far as mileage is concerned, don't have high expectations (i.e. over about 18-19 mpg). A Dakota is a heavy vehicle, using a lot of half-ton parts in it.

#20 ·
As far as mileage is concerned, don't have high expectations (i.e. over about 18-19 mpg). A Dakota is a heavy vehicle, using a lot of half-ton parts in it.
I agree. I'm glad you're happy with it Mike but I think you made a wrong decision by not going with the ranger or s10.

But what ever floats your boat! Can't wait to see it in June!

#25 ·
don't worrry about it Ryan, :sonicjay: I really wanted a stick and this was going to be better for what I wanted to do. It can get banged up without me worrying too much about it.

#36 ·
it's a radiator hose, it needed to be replaced, I put it on this afternoon.

#38 ·
I finally am through a full tank of gas after making a trip down to check out a motorcycle. I have calculated 22 mpg w/ a mix of highway and city driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.