Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

towing in OD with a diesel

4K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  groundhog 
#1 ·
ok so i keep reading posts about this but it seems that they are mostly about gassers. i only take my truck out of overdrive if i come to a decent sized hill. sometimes i just leave it in OD if i don't feel a loss of speed. my rig is a 94 turbo 7.3 non powerstroke but i've got 4:10 gearing as well. anyway my trans did die but not while i was towing, come to think of it i hadn't towed anything in a while. i don't have a trans temp gauge yet but i'm going to. I THINK i'm fine towing in OD as i neverr feel the truck don't have to power to move the load easily.

Just picture a regular cab 79 F150 on 35's rather than the tracker.

so is it bad on my trans or not as bad as a gasser would be.

See less See more
#7 ·
95 Tahoe, well maintained with 230,000 + miles. 80% was used to tow a 25 foot + sailboat (original owner). 10% was me hauling cars. The rest was to work and back

Still has the original 4l60e and was NEVER driven in OD. Trans is REAL strong still.

I is the mfg's recommendation to NOT tow in OD. Check your owner's manual or pull down your visor and read the sticker.

#9 ·
99 z71 175,000 Miles trouble free on my 4l60e towing a 24ft boat IN OD. Previous owner towed a snowmobile trailer but no idea if he used OD or not. I was the second owner, I put about 40,000 miles on the truck.

It IS the manufacturers reccomendation to TOW IN OD. Consult a transmission professional, not smiley, not myself, and find out the specifics on why you can or can not tow in OD.

heat is the enemy of transmissions, if you can tow in OD and keep it cool I dont see it doing any damage, but every truck is different.

#10 ·
Translation: I dont really know how to say this, but Im kind of a big deal.....I mean, people know me. I have many many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Page 2-22 of 1995 Tahoe Owner's Manual (like I said - check your owners manual).:

0 AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE (@) - This position is for normal
driving. If you need more power for passing, and you’re:
- Going less than about 35 mph (56 km/h), push your accelerator
pedal about halfway down.
- Going about 35 mph (56 km/h) or more, push the accelerator all
the way down.
You’ll shift down to the next gear and have more power.
@ should not be used when towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load,
driving on steep hills, or for off-road driving. Select THIRD
GEAR (3) when operating the vehicle under any of these
conditions.

#11 ·
not this fucking arguement again. let the man do what he wants, if it breaks he'll hopefully know not to do it again. 2 words TEMP GAUGE! simple enough. keep it cool, and keep it from gear hunting and you can do whatever you want cuz it's your truck.

#13 ·
It wouldn't be an argument if people like Koktoy got an education.

Good to know you feel so highly of yourself.

I on the otherhand suggested he listen to someone who knows what they are talking about.

As is perfectly clear, your owners manual suggests not to do it, mine suggested to do it. he should consult his and someone who knows something about transmissions, not you.

I am with you Kodiak, temp guage should be all that is needed, as I mentioned it's the heat that is the enemy.
That would be you not knowing anything about transmissions but claiming you do. So obviously the quote was meant for you.

Here is the oldest Ford Towing recommendations I could find:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2002/2002_Trailering_tips.pdf
Driving with an Automatic Overdrive
Transmission
• With certain car and compact truck
automatic overdrive transmissions, towing
– especially in hilly areas – may result in
excessive shifting between overdrive and
the next lower gear.
• If this occurs, it is recommended that the
overdrive gear be locked out to eliminate
the condition and provide steadier
performance (see your vehicle’s Owner
Guide for information).
• When there is no excessive shifting, use the
overdrive gear for optimum fuel economy.
• Overdrive also may be locked out to
obtain engine braking on downgrades.
BTW, For your truck it is also not recommended. It is however recommended you use "Tow-Haul" mode:

Page 4-54
If you have an automatic transmission, you can
tow in DRIVE (D). You may want to shift the
transmission to THIRD (3) or, if necessary, a lower
gear selection if the transmission shifts too often
(e.g., under heavy loads and/or hilly conditions).
See “Tow/Haul Mode” in the Index. If you have a
manual transmission and you are towing a trailer, it’s
better not to use FIFTH (5) gear. Just drive in
FOURTH (4) gear (or, as you need to, a lower gear).
Page 4-55
Tow/Haul Mode (If Equipped)
Tow/haul is a feature on automatic transmission
equipped vehicles that assists when pulling a heavy
trailer or a large or heavy load. The purpose of the
tow/haul mode is to:
Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability
of transmission shifts when pulling a heavy trailer or
a large or heavy load.
Provide the same solid shift feel when pulling a
heavy trailer or a large or heavy load as when the
vehicle is unloaded.
Improve control of vehicle speed while requiring less
throttle pedal activity when pulling a heavy trailer or
a large or heavy load.
Automatic transmission equipped vehicles are provided
with a button at the end of the shift lever which when
pressed enables tow/haul. When the button is pressed, a
light on the instrument panel will illuminate to indicate
that tow/haul has been selected. Tow/haul may be turned
off by pressing the button again, at which time the
indicator light on the instrument panel will turn off. The
vehicle will automatically turn off tow/haul every time it
is started.
Tow/haul is designed to be most effective when the
vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75% of
the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).
Tow/haul is most useful under the following
driving conditions:
When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load
through rolling terrain.
in stop and go traffic.
in busy parking lots where improved low speed
control of the vehicle is desired.
Operating the vehicle in tow/haul when lightly loaded or
with no trailer at all will not cause damage. However,
there is no benefit to the selection of tow/haul when the
vehicle is unloaded. Such a selection when unloaded
may result in unpleasant engine and transmission
driving characteristics and reduced fuel economy.
Tow/haul is recommended only when pulling a heavy
trailer or a large or heavy load.

#22 ·
I hope I don't offend you boy's as I refuse to read the last 6 post's or so because I have had much drink and it makes me dizzy. But being the highly coveted 7.3 IDI turbo E4od/4.10 the cruising speed (well mine anyhow) @65MPH is about 2250 RPM's The sweet spot as we say For the Indirect injected diesel. (not gasser) So pulling the load in question the only time it will drop from OD is on a substantial grade and the throttle position determines the downshift so if it would down shift it will be at approx 3/4 throttle and needs the lower gear to pull the hill. I completly agree that heat is the #1 enemy of any trans and in this weather when the fan clutch kick's in at 198*engine temp it will be plenty of cooling through the factory cooler. That being said go buy the biggest tranny cooler you can find at put it to good use. I sure hope I don't read this in the morning and think.....WTF was I typing:sonicjay:

#23 ·
99 7.3 Powerstroke, 3.73s. Tow everything from a car hauler to 10,000-pound travel trailer in overdrive. Rule of thumb, if you are under 55 mph lock it out or if you are climbing a hill lock it out. Another rule of thumb, stay over 75 mph and don’t worry about shifting out of overdrive. I think the key is don’t let the trans “hunt” or shift back and forth between 3rd and 4th.

#37 ·
I have an 02 SD Powerstroke 7.3, 3.73 gears and it has some mod's done to it. I was pulling 10,000+ in OD and I thought it pulled great. well it took about 400 miles but OD went out. At that point I had the trans re-built with all the upgrades to make it bullet proof. No problem since, it's a great truck for pulling. If I was that heavy again I would run with overdrive off. I do have a trans temp gage and when OD went out the trans temp was just fine. With your gear it might be easier on it... Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.