Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

engine turns over very slow

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  tonkatruckon44s 
#1 ·
engin tuns over very slow.... first off i tore down the engine and replaced the timing chain i made sure to top dead center the number 1 cylinder and line up the timing marks were lined up and then i put everything back together. i got the motor put back in the truck and hooked everything up it is a brand new battery and starter just bought today. my friend thinks it is the fact that we didnt ground the block to the frame or body but i think it is because we never reset the distributor.

#4 ·
The starter it's self does not have a negative wire to ground out to, it just grounds out on the starter housing thru the block. So the closer your ground is to the starter the better the connection. The jumper to the start bolt will help complete the circuit to verify it that is your problem or not.

#5 ·
grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds.... MOST COMMON ISSUE FOR THIS!!!! make sure you have a VERY good ground from Battery> Frame, Battery>motor Motor>frame ( i prefer atleast 3 points... just my suggestion. make sure you have good grounds and if not all your going to do is fry your battery cables

#6 ·
I prefer this setup:

Battery (-) directly bolted to engine block, then an additional grounding cable from the block to the frame.

Battery (+) to an insulated junction box that feeds the stater and the rest of the vehicle.

#12 ·
X2 on this one. I sometimes even take it a step farther and run the Battery (-) directly to the engine block, then a separate one from the battery directly to the frame and another one from the engine block to the frame. Might sound like overkill but I have never had a ground issue on anything I built.

#8 ·
yeah i have a friend helping me swap the motors and he wont listen to me on anything when we were putting the motor back in i wanted to hook the grounds on the back of the engine block back up but he said no i never use grounds i thought it was weird so ill try hooking up all the grounds and if that doesnt work ill try grounding the starter.

#13 ·
okay finally got it to start literally what i did is i went out to it the other night turned on the lights to make sure the batter wasnt drained to much while i tried to start it. then i shut the lights off and tried it one last time didnt hook anymore grounds or mess with the dizzy and it fired right up, it turned right over i have no idea what it was but it still turns over every time. im going to investigate it a little bit and see whats going on. btw does anyone here have any vaccuum diagrams for that year tbi motor.

#20 ·
definately the fuel pump not and i have to replace sending unit and tank because they both are rotted found why pump went bad because the inside of the tank was so rusty the fuel strainer in the tank was clogged up so bad it was black burnt out the pump damn if it isnt one thing its another

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.