Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Been in a store that sells guns lately?

3K views 44 replies 31 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
So, we've been shopping around to buy a couple hand guns. I cannot believe how store after store is picked clean.

I wanted to rent a gun to test out what I'd want to buy at the local indoor range, and all you can rent are .40-.45 because that is all they have ammo for. (This gun range will only rent you guns if you buy ammo from them)

I never went gun shopping when Clinton was president, so tell me was it like this then? Not only are there no guns, but no ammo.

Inventories are so low, I'm thinking it has to be hurting the small gun shops, makes sense to me if there is no inventory, there are no sales and no profilts. That can't be good.

This reminds me of the oil embargo back in the 70's when there were huge lines for gas and stores running out of toilet paper. Crazy!

#7 ·
Even Walmarts are sold out from 9mm to 12gauge ammo. Been trying to find .40 here in Northwest Indiana and was unable to (for a reasonable price) in a 50 mile radius. The gun stores here have been picked clean as well. Inventory levels I would estimate at about 30-40%. Racks empty, glass cases empty, walls half empty etc etc. What a ridiculous panic buy for even stuff that isn't related to the possible AWB.

#12 ·
Was in Williams yesterday. They still had ammo for everything but had a one box limit per customer on all handgun rounds, .223 & .22lr. I never thought I'd see the day that they would ration .22lr. The salesmen where on edge. You could tell they where very frustrated. Not that I blame them. I'm sure they hear the same questions over and over and over all day every day. I did not go up to the handgun counter but my salesman said "there are no Glock's, no Smith's, nothing". I was up there to buy my bolt action. Literally the only questions I heard the whole time I was there is where is this ammo or where is that ammo, "I'm looking for a home defense gun", "How much is that HK91" and one guy came in to buy a scope for his muzzle loader. The phone never stooped ringing the whole time I was there. I feel a little sorry for the guys working there. It has to get old answering the same question over and over day in and day out.

#15 ·
I recently paid $14 a box for 115gr FMJ 50 count. Remm and Federal. Two different places. And I finally found some HP but they were $19 for a 20 count. :(

I want to shoot my 9mm or even my .22 but it's a pain in the ass finding ammo too shoot.

Only thing you can find around me is anything for a shotgun. So I guess I will just shoot that.

#17 ·
I've seen 9mm around a lot, shit I bought a bunch. Even at jays in Clare they had thousands of 9mm and the 100 count bulk box was actually really reasonable. :confused: the stores are three months worth of sales in two weeks so that's good, but if they can't get re supplied then they will do zero sales for the next three months too. Ito was shocked that 22 was sold out everywhere but I've already seen that coming back too. Relax and give it another month, we'll all be fine. Hopefully people learn to stocked up or have all your reloading supplies on hand because this shit showed everyone how quickly things can change.

#19 ·
I was already pretty well stocked on ammo so it hasn't really affected me, but hopefully it recovers soon so I can do some target shooting without worrying that I won't be able to replenish my supplies.

#21 ·
Yesterday at Meijer I picked up the last 2 boxes of their .40 for $18.99, the same price it always is there. Had to buy it on the spot (as opposed to doing the rest of my shopping with it in my cart before buying it), and had to show my driver's license as well. Never had to do that before. Mentioned that to the salesperson, and she said it's always been that way. BS, unless the associates haven't been doing their jobs all this time and now management is finally making them do it.

#22 ·
The only thing I'm having difficulty finding is .223. It still can be found, but everywhere I've gone has plenty of everything else. I haven't looked in the past couple days though, so maybe since Oblabla's last speech there has been another panic ammo shopping spree.

Anything out of the locked case (handgun ammo) you have to buy on the spot. It's always been that way for the last several years I've been buying ammo at Meijer.

#28 ·
I went to dicks in toledo yesterday, and they said they recieved a shipment of guns and ammo yesterday morning. They sold over 40,000 rounds (according to the salesman) of .223 in an hour. They still had a couple boxes of winchester .223 when I was there, but it was over $1.50/round. I won't pay that.

On a positive note though, I was able to get the last 10/22 carbine they recieved, and I can now start the build I've been wanting to do for a month.

I also went to Cabelas yesterday, and they had shelves full of 9mm if your looking for some. They didn't have much of anything else, including guns. I've never seen their shelves so empty.

#29 ·
Yes it was like this when clinton was president, only on a slightly smaller scale. With less 24hr news and less access to conspiracy theorists, only people who went looking for that shit found it.

Now every idiot with internet access thinks they are a freedom fighter and that they SEE THE TRUTH mannnnnnnn.

When the Clinton ban was in the news stores were sold out of everything besides shotgun, .22LR, and obscure high caliber shit. And it was weeks before some stuff made it back to the shelves

#30 ·
Picked up a M&P shield yesterday. I went to many shops and they all laughed. Shields have been on back order from the day they were released. The shortage isn't because of paranoid buyers with that model. I walked into DNR in Kalamazoo and they had just got some in that day. They had one out of 11 that was not spoken for. I strongly feel if you are just now getting your tools together, your too late.

#34 ·
I can definitely see you like. 40 and carry guns :usa: definitely agree they missed and are still losing business without offering it in other calibers. I prefer. 45 so I'm set but allot of others have a different preference. Mine replaced my h&k. 40 compact, the xds is so much easier to carry, I'm on the skinny side so carrying anything double stacked is challenging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.