Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

business question?

4K views 82 replies 48 participants last post by  C.K. 
#1 · (Edited)
since the day i opened in 2001 i have always had my dog in my shop. Our last pooch was a rottweiler and was a great dog, real nice and friendly. she died in fall 2008 and since then i have had my new rott puppy in the shop alot.

she is now 10 months old and also a real big baby, super nice, super loving.

over the course of almost 9 years i have only had a few uncomfortable customers that were not very fond of dogs.

today however was a different story. a lady walks into the shop and wants to sell me a first-aid cabinet to hang up in the shop. before she can even start the sales pitch my pooch comes into the waiting room and greets her as she does with all my customers. this lady flips out saying its illegal to have a dog in a business and she could call the cops on me. haha i laughed my ass off at her.

next i had a choice on how to handle this.

1st choice was to put the dog in my office and get the lady to leave politely

2nd choice was to call her names and tell her to remove herself from my waiting room with out the polite voice.
my question is how would you have handled this situation and why?

See less See more
#24 ·
Haha that's probably what I would have said, although she would pull some stupid harassment shit on me.
Hang a sign on your front door that says "No solicitors" or something. She was trying to "solicit" you a 1st aid cabinet which I'm sure you already have 1st aid stuff anyway.

#9 ·
From a business stand point, having what is known as an aggressive dog is probably not the best way to conduct business. On the other hand if you have mainly repeat business, then nothing to worry about. Since she was a saleswoman, I would ignore her feelings, but if a potential customer had issues, I would see that as lost income.

#17 ·
I would have told her that you allow dogs on the premises of your business and if she does not find that acceptable, she can leave.

If I WANTED her to be there....she was a paying customer, I would tell her the dog is friendly with customers but I would be happy to put the dog away if it makes her feel uncomfortable.

#20 ·
I would tell her that the owner died trying to rob a stage coach and then walk out of the office petting the dog, fake crying.
:sonicjay: what? Haven't seen me a stage coach round these here parts in a hundred years or more.

#25 ·
i dont mind sales people as sometimes they have some cool shit for sale.

yes my insurance knows i have a rott and i pay for it too. not much though.

i told the sales lady and i quote "fuck you and the horse you rode in on, get the hell out of here if you dont like my dog. if you want to call the cops be my guest and make sure you tell them the correct address" then i hand here the cordless phone and a business card to call them with.

she didnt call the cops but she did leave rather quickly. the whole time my dog looked real scared as she tought i was mad at her because of my tone of voice.

oh well it was kinda funny i guess

#36 ·
my question is how would you have handled this situation and why?
It's your business - you get to make the rules.

I wouldn't have argued with the sales woman or told her what is or isn't the law. I would have simply told her to leave and then given your rottie a treat.

I was at a local dog park last week with my Puggle taking some pictures and a big bad rottie kept coming up to me and giving me kisses. I told the owner it's a shame that the media wasn't there to see how vicious his dog was.. Every rottie I've come into contact with has been well tempered.

#42 ·
what a dumb bitch. by her logic veternarians would have to be a service and not for profit.

I run into dogs all the time with business's I like it personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.