Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

So... I decided to quit

4K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  Yetti 
#1 ·
smoking.
Any suggestions besides cold turkey???

#27 ·
my boss quit cold turkey after smoking 3 packs a day....or more depending on the day....he got up one morning and walked outside to start the day with everyone there and said he doesnt feel like smoking anymore.:woot: :woot:

#31 · (Edited)
Sigh...

I went in to get life insurance 8 years ago. They said no way for a smoker.

So I put the pack of camels on the dash and never touched it.

I made it the last 8 years without a single smoke. I just started up again.

This time, cold turkey doesn't seem to be working so I'm trying to let them go gradually.

My tips? avoid driving, drinking coffee, eating, going to the bar, drinking beer, waking up in the morning...

You know - all the things that make you crave a smoke!

Good luck :)

#32 · (Edited)
True story here-
When I worked at the marina, I tried to quit smoking. Made it like 3 days, and then the people that I worked with at the time pitched in and bought me a pack of smokes.
They told me that they could not work with me if I was quitting smoking. I guess it made me into an asshole.

I will quit when I am ready. But, best of luck to you Rebecca! Keep a positive attitude about it, and don't give in. (since I know you are not a man, I will not add it to the end of that. Sorry, just had to poke fun at the person above me.)

#33 ·
Tie Dyed said:
True story here-
When I worked at the marina, I tried to quit smoking. Made it like 3 days, and then the people that I worked with at the time pitched in and bought me a pack of smokes.
They told me that they could not work with me if I was quitting smoking. I guess it made me into an asshole.

I will quit when I am ready. But, best of luck to you Rebecca! Keep a positive attitude about it, and don't give in. (since I know you are not a man, I will not add it to the end of that. Sorry, just had to poke fun at the person above me.)

Thanks. Ya I saw that but I wasn't going to say anything. I've kept my cool so far, haven't goten to crappy with any one who doesn't diserve it.

#35 ·
Talk to your doctor, and tell him/her you have depression. Look up symptoms online so you know how to answer the questions they will ask you.

Get them to prescribe Wellbutrin XL. One of the side effects are people quit smoking. I have been smoking for 16 years and am going this route. The first two days on Wellbutrin you get hellibuzzed. After that the cravings get to be less everyday.

I am in the process of shaking the old routines I had when smoking. I'm quiting slowly. Currently smoking less than half what I did three weeks ago.

When I'm truely ready to quit, I'll be less likely to strangle someone, taking these pills.

Insurance covers Wellbutrin but not Zyban which works the same.

#37 ·
kind of off topic.. but i hate it when i walk by a pregnet woman in public who is smoking ?? do they not realize the harm being done ?? they just dont care ? i mean it literaly makes me sick to my stomach.. What pisses me off even more is to see someone standing right next to a pregnet woman blowing cancer smoke all over them !!! i better not see it when down the rd my wife gets pregnet.. the dude's liable to be limping home ! :End Rant:

#38 ·
Muddinguy said:
kind of off topic.. but i hate it when i walk by a pregnet woman in public who is smoking ?? do they not realize the harm being done ?? they just dont care ? i mean it literaly makes me sick to my stomach.. What pisses me off even more is to see someone standing right next to a pregnet woman blowing cancer smoke all over them !!! i better not see it when down the rd my wife gets pregnet.. the dude's liable to be limping home ! :End Rant:
This one time at the mounds.............. anyone that was with in 2 feet of me knows I feel about this one!!! :junk:

#39 ·
Give'm hell Netti, my wife quit the minute she found out she was prego. I didn't quit till dec `88. I wasn't aloud to smoke in the house so I went out to the shed or would sit on the porch, when its 3 above how bad do you want a cig? I quit and have never looked back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.