Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Sheds

8K views 91 replies 25 participants last post by  wilesin 
#1 ·
Has anyone here ever built a shed from scratch? If so what size and roughly what was the cost? My girlfriends dad wants me to build him a shed at the rental property we rent from him. I just need to know what kind of costs are associated. Id like a 10-12 foot wide and 12-16 feet long.:thumb:

#8 ·
I have and I didnt ask anyone to go to figure it for me. I asked what they paid in materials to build there shed..

Shed in a box.

I got one on sale for $139 for a 10'x10'. It's lasted 3 years without any tears. An oak tree fell on it and bent on of the cross bars for the roof, the snow load hasn't even torn it yet.
Like a metal one? Or the tent style? I have a 10x20 tent now but he wants a shed and I wouldn't mind have one.

2x4 studs go on 16" centers, plywood covers an area of 4'x8', tar paper comes in rolls with dimensions, truss designs are all over the net, home depot, lowes, and menards have nails. Shouldn't be too hard for an engineer to estimate costs.
You apparently missed the question. I want a actual price of what people have paid in materials to build there's. I know how to figure material and price list. But lots of people can and have done it cheaper.:finger:

#5 ·
Shed in a box.

I got one on sale for $139 for a 10'x10'. It's lasted 3 years without any tears. An oak tree fell on it and bent on of the cross bars for the roof, the snow load hasn't even torn it yet.

#12 ·
Do you really think a shed will need 4 inch thick concrete? Heaviest thing it will have on it is a dana 60 on jack stands.

#11 ·
Lets make this clear AGAIN... I'm looking for people that have actually built one and roughly what they had in it.. Not looking for someone to write me up an estimate. You guys need to read before replying. Judging from some peoples reading skills, the estimates would be fucked anyways. So forget it.

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
The logic you spit is overwhelming.
Since when did asking for advice show stupidity? Stupidity is shown in the posts above where people are unable to read and comprehend at the same time. End of discussion.
10 x 12 x 8 metal roof and sides. $2000.

Probably the nicest metal shed I have seen!! Seems a bit pricey though for what he wants.

Use pallets

Looks good. Its pretty cool what some people build with pallets lol

#25 ·
Different building codes around. Some are 120sqft max, mine is now 200sqft max, but counts drip edges, not foundation. Rat wall was required where I built mine. I think I put 1500 into everyhing but the foundation. Did the prefinished wood siding and all exterior wood was treated

#30 ·
Yeah, cus your smart ass put provided a lot of great input here. Get lost kid.

Really just buy a pre cut kit from home depot, 8x10 $800 - 1000, after all its just a shed.

Here's one for $700

Princeton 10 ft. x 10 ft. Wood Storage Shed

http://thd.co/1kKL7ZN
That's actually not bad! Thanks!

Seen that. Been watching it on craigslist. 1000 is a bit much though for something that has to be torn down and then re assembled. I wouldn't mind that though. I don't have anything to trade either.

#27 · (Edited)
Really just buy a pre cut kit from home depot, 8x10 $800 - 1000, after all its just a shed.

Here's one for $700

Princeton 10 ft. x 10 ft. Wood Storage Shed

http://thd.co/1kKL7ZN

#28 · (Edited)
Also depending on what you're using the shed for (wood floor) you could use gravel as a foundation.

#36 ·
He emailed me on craigslist and offer me $200.00 and said hope it has french doors with stain glass guess the add with pics and saying it has a roll up metal wasn't enough

No it's not French doors stain glass it's a 6' x 7' metal roll up door get online and price it out it was $200

On May 28, 2015, at 4:25 PM, ajhall1989 <5e45dd18240b37e0b01317b5d0a86399@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:

That's why you put a price on it. If you paid that much for a shed door then hopefully it's French's doors with stained glass .... goodluck!

-------- Original message --------
From: craigslist 5027954419 <ftbst-5027954419@sale.craigslist.org>
Date: 05/28/2015 2:48 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: 5e45dd18240b37e0b01317b5d0a86399@reply.craigslist.org
Subject: Re: Shed 12x12 barn

no thanks paid that for the door
--------------------------------------------
On Thu, 5/28/15, Aj Hall <5e45dd18240b37e0b01317b5d0a86399@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:

Subject: Re: Shed 12x12 barn
To: ftbst-5027954419@sale.craigslist.org
Date: Thursday, May 28, 2015, 2:31 PM

Id give you 200 and pick it
up

#32 ·
I find it quite hilarious that all of AJs threads go down hill so fast.

I built a shed in 2008. It would be more expedient to purchase a kit from one of the big box stores. Going from scratch will result in a shitty shed unless you are an active general contractor. Being smart enough to repair anything in the house, and very knowledgeable of house construction doesn't make you a good builder.

And yes, Kickstand has friends.

#42 ·
Before you spend anything talk to your township and see what they allow.

If possible build it on a movable platform. Due to organizing for a cleaner look and then road construction my folks 3 sheds have been moved twice.

#53 ·
Oh no we comprehended your question. That is why it was so funny. Last month you wanted to be an engineer, this month you can't estimate the cost to build a shed. On top of that you didn't list any requirements for this shed. fuck it build your shed out of cardboard and PVC for all I care.

#56 ·
What does it matter what other people were able to build their sheds for? You're probably not going to have the same connections and resources that they are, so you'd be comparing apples to oranges. The only numbers that would have any relevance, would be the estimate you claim you already have. If you yourself can't find better pricing, then there's not much more to discuss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.