Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Thank you DMJC

5K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  gadget99 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say a formal thank you to DMJC from Ed Schroeder and me (GLFWDA) and Jason Church (UFWDA) for the opportunity to speak to all of you last night. It is always great to get in front of a group of four wheelers that large (45-ish?) to talk about what we are working on around the state, hope we answered all of your questions. Thanks too to the handful of folks who came up afterwards with questions and comments - looking forward to the next time!

For those that have never been to a DMJC meeting, it is really tempting to introduce yourself..."Hi, my name is Paul and I have a Jeep problem". From the TJ crew in the back corner to the JK owners up front - it's like a 12 step Jeep addiction program where no one has progressed past the first step :sonicjay:

#13 ·
To Shawn....well that was the whole point of them coming out to speak to whole club as one...This is something that has been in the works for months to make it happen. But due to schedule conflicts on both parties did not happen until last night.

Paul, thanks again for coming out and going over everything with everyone. It was greatly appreciated by all....

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have sent Paul a PM about making payment to join :thumb: I have wanted to join for a long time. Just never made the effort to find out how to. I do hope that more DMJC members will join. We do have a lot of new members that are new to the sport and hope that once they get out on some of the trails they will want to join GLFWDA to help keep the land open for us to use.

#25 ·
A couple of people asked, so I'll put the link here.

If you want to join and have a PayPal account, http://www.glfwda.org/payments.php

If you don't have a PayPal account, http://www.glfwda.org/forms/GLFWDA_Application.pdf takes you to a paper application that can be mailed in with a check.

Either way, make sure you include an e-mail address and your screen name - e-mail so we can get in touch with you easily (we don't sell our member list or share it with anyone) and your screen name so we can set you up with access to the members'-only areas of our forums. Not nearly as fun and exciting as the Stan Lakes Forum, however.

#32 ·
I'm not going to bother quoting you, but the DMLC was a typo. Plain and simple. I was not out attacking DMJC, want nothing more then support for GLFWDA. I have already apologized, tried making things right, but for anybody to use me as an excuse to not join GLFWDA then I'm saddened by all of this.

Paul, sorry about all this. Never thought any comment I made would have done this.

#40 ·
Ok, this is gonna be my feeble attempt to put the crap to bed, so if anything I say here offends anyone so be it...

I am happy to hear that DMJC is considering joining both organizations! I hope that every one of your members will seriously consider it.

I personally know quite a few of DMJC members, some of which I am happy to call my friends. I have never gotten the impression that they were high and mighty. Quite the opposite actually. They have always been welcoming to everyone around them and that is a very good thing. Maybe some of their members are excited to be able to say they ARE a member, much like youmay find from a member or Swamp Stompers, SoFo or any of the other clubs around here. It looks to me like they somehow teamed up with GLFWDA and UFWDA to get them to talk to the club at one of it's meetings, EXACTLY the same as the Swamp Stompers did a while back. It is MUCH easier that way. Good for them and good for GLFWDA :thumb:

I am also happy to say that I personally know a bunch of members of both GLFWDA and UFWDA and again, some I can call my friends. I know Shawn. Not extremely well, but I feel like I know him enough to know that he is simply VERY passionate about everything to do with keeping the sport alive and improving. Were his choice of words great? Of course not, and I am sure he knows that now. Is he proud of what he does for wheeling? Absolutely, and rightfully so. Paul as well... great guy and he is exactly the person you all left your meeting believing he was. I have been around him enough times to know that he has always been the same person from the first time I met him. :thumb:

Here is the bottom line. We all have the same common interest here. We may all like different types of wheeling or simply like to hang around people of the same interests as ours. Lets not forget, we all also have a WIDE range of personalities. I know a lot of people from several different clubs. There is not one group out there where everyone loves everybody else. Four wheel drive associations are no different. Each person also will bring a different quality to the table as well. We ALL need to be in this together as there is strength in numbers. Don't let a few stupid words typed on a computer get everyone all riled up for the wrong reason. Get riled up about what the state and the greenies are constantly taking away from you. I know for a fact that if some of you from both sides were to actually meet each other without anyone exchanging names, you would get along quite well.:beerbang:

#43 · (Edited)
im not bashing dmjc! seems like a great club to me!

i was wondering was there a reason your members did not join glfwda already?
mabey glfwda can do something to change that image for other clubs.
did we turn you off in some way?(besides this post).
its easy for us to see the "good" in glfwda.
its not as easy for us to see the "other side" of glfwda.

as a former board member of glfwda please consider membership!
glfwda could sure use the help. there is power in numbers.

if you guys join shawn will buy you all a beer!

#47 · (Edited)
I am pretty new to wheeling and DMJC was my first exposure to a club. I have met some of the very best people through this organization, gained a lot of knowledge and more importantly learned responsible land use and safe wheeling. I believe having GLFWDA and UFDWA present was a way to help bolster membership in those organizations to help in the efforts and be additional voices to keep our trails open so that we can continue to use our land and enjoy these outdoor activities for generations to come.

It was great to have the folks from GLFWDA and UFDWA attend the monthly DMJC meeting to present information to our members that are both new and seasoned to wheeling. Our club is organized for the purpose of providing social, educational, and recreational activities for its members as well as participating in and supporting civic and environmental activities for the betterment of the community. We promote the sport and pastime of Jeep Vehicle travel in all phases plus enjoy and protect the natural resources and support the multiple use principle as it applies to public lands. DMJC is a family oriented club that promotes, organizes and holds outings, meetings, runs, excursions, reliability trials, hill climbs, cross-county trips and similar events to educate our members on responsible land use as well as safety on the trail, interest in and ownership of driving four wheel drive Jeep vehicles and the sport in general.

Paul, Ed and Jason gave a very professional and informative presentation to our club of new and seasoned members about the challenges that our sport is facing on a local, state and national level. We appreciated the time taken to educate our members on what is currently going on as well as what is on the horizon as it relates to our sport.

I believe this olive branch was well received and will help gain new, active members that will help in trail maintenance, attend meetings and support the initiatives that GLFWDA and UFDWA are taking up. This is however, an individual choice and decision for members of GL4x4, DMJC Et al. to support and spend their money on, and we should leave it as such.

Paul, Jason and Ed. These three are great representatives of their organizations and we appreciate their efforts.

#46 ·
I have met Shawn, and have wheeled with him on a few occasions. Far more is being read into his post than what was there, I read it before deletion. I know few people that are as passionate as he is, he would not intentionally try to turn off people to GLFWDA.

I hope people can suck up egos, and realize the power in numbers. We are rapidly losing public land in this state and letting individual personalities, pride, or egos get in the way of trail stewardship is asinine, especially from a post that's original intention (from Paul) was very positive, as well as the meeting that was had with DMJC that seems to have been positive.

Whether anyone chooses to join or not is their decision, but with numbers comes power as the snowmobile clubs have proven. We already have an uphill battle as most media and government people just see us as a bunch of *******'s, we have to change that, and it only can be done with a unified, recognized, message.

#52 ·
I guess if I was a PR guy, I would tell you all that any "buzz" is good "buzz", although this thread has definitely taken a few unexpected turns. :mel:

Thanks again DMJC, we look forward to working with you in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.