Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Kayaking with dogs?

961 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Christmas Cookie 
#1 ·
Anyone do it? I have a 15ft canoe but its just me and the dog. Unless I make some sort of seat or saddle for the middle it will be kind of awkward. Plus with the putting the seat in the widest part of the canoe is a little bit of a pain to paddle with a convential canoe paddle. I figure a kayak might be a better way to go, but I wanted to see if anyone had done this before.

I figure if I go with a kayak I'll need a tandem or a rec kayak. I'd prefer something I can seal up when I don't bring the dog.

BTW the dog is a border collie terrier mix about knee high 30-40 lbs.

#2 ·
I have seen dog just sit right on kayaks its pretty funny. But I guess they are used to it and have great ballance.

I think you would need a 2 person that has dual openings vs one large. That way when ur alone you could seal up that area.

On the other hand you controling a 2 person rig may suck by urself?

#4 ·
I take my dog out on my kayak all the time....now mind you she is a five month old jack russell(half the size of your dog), but she seems to like it. I even built a little platform out of pvc and a towel and mounted it in the front rigging. I'll have to get a pic and post it up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.