Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

anybody get a trail permit yet?

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  liv2mx 
#1 ·
holy shit!!! 45 bucks each!! that is just getting out of control. guess they need more new groomers.

#4 ·
well the money does not go to the correct places...those permit fees were to be only used for snowmobile trails and such...however the state being the cocksuckers they are robbed the fund and hence the increase. The whole idea of the fee's came from the MSA as the state started bitch about how it cannot afford the upkeep on the trail system, thats when the MSA proposed the trail fee sticker. The state wanted to charge $55 for the increase and $45 if you bought early....however that plan was shot down, but they did get the $10 increase. I swear those fuckers that get elected should have to serve a two year prison term as soon as they are out of office because every last of of them is a thieving cocksucker

#9 ·
If the money went where it is supposed to, the price doesn't bother me. Snowmobiling isn't cheap. That is a fact. If a trail sticker cost $200, it would be a drop in the bucket for most riders overall cost.

I do think however, that it is complete BS that you need a trail permit to ride anywhere but private property. If you are on the trails that the money is supposed to maintain, sure, but for those who don't use the official trails, they shouldn't have to pay for it.

For example, my father and I cut firewood in the winter and haul it by sled. I pull a Ski-doo Carry-Boose behind a Ski-Doo Elan. We ride it on his property and the state land that his borders. We make our own trails through the woods to the tree's that we cut. These trails aren't within nearly ten miles of the official snowmobile trail. He also used to make and groom his own dogsled trail about 25 miles long, also never touching the official trail. We have to buy trail permits for the Elan, and the sled he groomed his dogsled trail with because it is used on state land.

That used to be what the registration was for. Then they decided you needed the trail permit too.

Kinda like if you had to buy an ORV tag to drive on the freeway.

#14 ·
Yeah... I don't snowmobile, but I think it's funny hearing you guys say things that equate to this:

"Yeah, if they raise the price on the the trail permit another nickel, I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on gasoline for my multi-thousand dollar snow machine, or drive my multi-thousand dollar pickup truck and trailer to the trail head anymore. I'm just going to take up knitting."

#16 ·
I don't know. How many miles of trails are there in Michigan? I would think that 45$ would be a bargain to have months of access to groomed trails to ride. Just my opinion.

I buy an ORV sticker every year and don't even bat an eye. Actually, this year I bought two. I just bought another one a month ago, so I could ride my new bike on the ORV once. It won't get used again this year probably, but to me, it was a bargain to have access to all that land.

#19 ·
Our Elan is a 1995, not quite 25 years old yet.

For me, it's not the actual cost of the nickel and dime stuff, its the BS that comes behind it. Why are registration and trail permits both required? Supposed to be, that the registration fees pay the states cost for whatever they do for the sport (police officers, road repairs, etc.) and the trail stickers are like a mandatory donation to the private snowmobile clubs who actually maintain the trails, buy groomers, do trail cleanups, fight for new trails and keeping old trails open, deal with legal issues, and whatever else is seen as the face of our sport.

That is not the case anymore, and the money is dispersed in wrongful ways.

Paying $45 for a trail permit isn't a huge deal, but when I open my wallet, I see the $25 it used to cost, ten bucks for whatever they said we needed to pay for last year, but never did, and another ten bucks for more "things we need", but won't get. I see those twenty dollars going somewhere that will either not help, or hurt our sport.

Kinda like going to the parts store and picking up nickel and dime parts for my truck, but having to buy wipers for some fruit-loop's Prius and locks for them to chain up trail gates.

#21 ·
:sonicjay::sonicjay:

6 months and you will have a lot more money after your women leaves you...:sonicjay: :poke:

i have no issue paying this if they actually used it for the trails.don't think that is the case though. most of the guys running the groomers are volenteer's.there are donation's jars in most of the businesses up north to keep the groomers going.

#23 ·
:sonicjay:

oh i forgot you told me 8....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.