Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

"The Predator" another YJ build.

70K views 606 replies 40 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 ·
This is my first time starting a build thread. Started out as 1990 jeep Wrangler 6cyl auto. Not running. Previous to it i had a 1986 chevy 3/4 ton pickup. The had a head on collision.
Motor, trans, tcase, axles, and YES the chevy emblem were put into the jeep.
Id start at the beginning, but dont know how to upload actual pictures. So ill start with a few years ago. With lots of pictures, every one likes pictures.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

See less See more
#586 ·
Well new pump made it from the trailer to my parking spot then to the entrance to chadville...and I heard a loud "pop" almost like a tire popped...and I lost all my steering...sooo...
Not sure what happened but I'll be warranting this week for new.
:)

Built jeep tough with some chevy and ford stuff.

#587 ·
Tore pump out of the Jeep tonight, this is what I discovered.
1: sometimes I'm dumb.
I installed 2 bypass springs in the pump, just to see how itd..do. it worked great for a bit. This is what happened.

the shafts broke...oops!!
Here's a pick of the springs/pump.

While I had my new psc, and this one apart I checked them out for differences.
Only thing I noticed (without removing pump vanes) was the supply hole was about 3/16" instead of 1/8" on my old one.

Anyway new psc pump installed, thanks to ironman off road for the hookup.
Now the Jeep is back to turning with 1 finger lock to lock on dry pavement.
:)
Woot!!!

#588 ·
Quick an dirty update.

Dunes last weekend..broke the short shaft on my dana 60. (Just took the ears off) universal was fine...?

So I ordered a chromoly shafts to replace it with. It showed up today. New joint install and ready to rock.
Auto part Subcompact car Machine

Couldn't pass up on the deal on it!

Also...the rock rails I have on my jeep are not tied to the frame in any way...so I kept caving the body it...from smashing them into stuff..
Here is my solution.
2x4x1/4" tube welded to old slider, then dom tying the rectangle tune back to the frame.
Should work?
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car

Installing the new shaft this weekend.
So close to ready for canaduh

#593 ·
PHEEEWWWW... had to blow the dust off this ol girl...

thanks JFR!
I may be a bit rusty at this so cut me some slack fawkers!

The jeep has been thru some major updates. :)

Last update was a chromo short side shaft...which has been working flawlessly!...BUT the long side...not so much. IT is now a chromo.
Flung a cap off a joint on drummond at about 60mph, locked the tire up and broke the shaft... :) oops. i wish the story was better than that, but it inst. Wife was less than impressed, since it was the 1st time she has rode in the jeep in a few years. :)

I have added a rear t case support to the NP205, to make sure my NP205 wont brake off the back of my TH350.

Added some cage to the back of the jeep to keep the kids safe, and just for some preventative measure. :)

i moved my rear seat down and back for more passenger comfort. :) Also so i can fit both kids car seats back there. :)

Added a ORA fire extinguisher mount in the center of the upper cage so i can access it whatever position i am in. :)

Attachments

#594 ·
Moving on.......

I built another beadlock, with a spare tire, since i seem to have issues there. hahah...

I tied my front shock hoops together, so that i had less of an opportunity to ruin the hoops and shocks. Plus it seems i was wheeling a bit differently than i used to..and they needed the extra support.

had some good fun last year at the SSS show in canada EH! accidentally sheared my upper ball joint somewhere in the bush...which was an issue for my location. :) had to pay a premium for canadian ball joints..and install in the bush. Lots of help and winches involved. :)

Attachments

#595 ·
Had a good time racing the few races i made it to in the RBOR series. Big thanks to Beefy for putting it on. i had a frekin blast, cant wait for next year. :)

1st race: i sheared my steering column, lost all steering...DNF...BOO...Big thanks to all the helpers who got me back on the trail...
BORING...no pictures...

missed the next few races...but made the Twisted trails race. Had a great time, racing.. tooo bad i SUK...lol.
after the race, we did some wheeling... i think i got hi score on a tree, off the blue trail. the picture shows both, where JFR was standing....and where my front axle hit, (i think) few feet up..and all just from a little bump.

Attachments

#596 ·
Finally,
this year at Loonie run! WOOOT...had a blast as usual.

Broke my Canadian rollover cherry.. never rolled in Canada before. :) There are videos around...but im not technologically advanced enough to post them here. See the book of faces...lol.

Rolled, bent a rim, and had a good time. was wet, sloppy and chilly..but thats the norm.
attached are a few pictures.
Which...dont do the experience any justice.

Attachments

#597 ·
In the works.
1st: to prevent more rollovers, i am installing a winters shifter i purchased about 6 months ago.

2nd: new bump stops, so i have more up travel. :)

3rd: i bought me some new 12 bolt hummer wheels, runflats (to trim down) 1/2" rod to stiffen the inner bead up, rock rings and new pressed centers for the wheels. So prevent my bead losses in the future, and so i can run less than 1 million PSI in my tires when wheeling. :)

4th: Some Yukon lockouts, so i can do a little more street driving...maybe...i feel like this may have been a waste of money. only time will tell. :)

5th: working on getting new seats, and adjusting their position for a little more space and comfort.

6th: i have a new billet High pressure pump for the th350, that i want to put in to hopefully keep trans in better shape. The 6.0 can overpower my 1st and reverse, even with a shaved piston and 1 additional kolene steel and racing frictions. :) more pressure...more gription i hope.

7th: Hood PINS...my stock jeep latches dont hold up well to trees, rocks, or anything for that matter. :)

All of the above is purchased, just setting there waiting for me to install.....
as time comes i will..

Finally...possibly if all the stars align and pig fly, im going to try to get some 43" SXs... :) IROKS, even cut...seem to suck.
could be driver too...hahaha..

PS: thanks JFR for bumping this dusty ol girl, ill try to do a better job of keeping it current. :)

#598 ·
Got my hummer rims, new centers, rock rings and rolled 1/2 rod for an inner bead stiffiner.
Also got my yukon lockouts installed, and shorter bumps. For a bit smoother ride...until i hit the bimps of course.

Still need to do a shifter, and hood pins for now.

Working on trying to upload picks via phone...sucks..lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.