Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Tie down method

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Haggar 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up a new car hauler. I am going to ask a debated question. Do I tie down to the axle or the frame? I am sure this has been asked before. :miff: :dunie:

#27 ·
comanche38 said:
Thanks guys, I think instead of tieing it down, I will just pull the Jeep up on the trailer and flip it on it's side, no rolling, no tie downs, no problem:naughty: Oh yeah and put on the parking brake for extra assurance. :junk: I thinkI will stick with the straps to the axles with a criss cross on the back. Sounds like it has worked for others. Has anyone ever towed with a 6 cylinder ford f-150? 2003.

Sound sliek the proper way. Be allowing the suspension of the vehicle to move, you will take shock load off the trailer suspension.

As for the F150 part, read the post in this forum about towing with 1/2 tons. It should work, but will be slow. Don't try to use overdrive, get a decent brake controller and a weight distributing hitch and you'll probably be ok, as long as you don't get into a lot of hills..

#28 ·
Yetti said:
I tie cars to our auto roller at work and I have hung Dodge diesel Mega cabs upside down from three of them.
i think pics are inorder :dunie: :dunie:
i use chains front and rear, wraped around the axle. i "power bind" the front chain, then bind the rear. i havent had a problem with the jeep or anything else i have towed. i do want to start using straps because the are better than chains ( i think) becasue they will take up some slack in stead of just lossing up. i have had the tractor come lose, but i was only going like 10 miles, so i wasnt that worryed about it. i watched it to make sure it wasnt rocking that much and i only get up to about 40.

as far as the 1/2 ton, mine tows fine. need a bigger engine thats the only thing. but i do have a brake controler. i would sugest geting a weight dist hitch.

#29 ·
I have tied down both ways ,whats funny is some peopl wont tie to the frame ,but they would never hook a winch cable or a jerk strap to there axle to pull some one out .I hook a chain to the rear drive ahead in low range chain the front bump the cluth and let every thing settle put a saftey cain on the front and go .I dont care for straps they can get cut or chafe on a long haul ,there not bad I just like my steel chains .If your rig is looseing up then some thing is not right .The leting the susspension move thing is great till you get a panic stop or have to do some deffensive driveing and every thing is swaying in different dirrections .And lastly the factory puts little rectangle cutout all over on your frame and unibody ,those are for tieing down and recovery .
My 2 cents

Jeff

#30 ·
Good point guys. I guess that I am just going to have to pick a method and try it to see if it works for my Jeep, driving style and ease. I also wonder about the people that have insane amounts of flex and no sway bars and tie down to the axles. Does the Jeep lean way over on turns just like if it were being driven on the road = weight transfer? I should have a good amount of flex when I am done but with 38" tires full size axles and fitting in a standard garage with about 6" of clearence I should never be top heavy:naughty: I personally have never had good things to say about chains. They are to "harsh" Straps, if taken care of will last a long time and take some of the jerk out of it. I also don't like the "have to go to the next chain link" when you only need 1/2 or 1/4 of a link.:dunie:

#31 ·
Muddinguy said:
Why do you find it nessacary to use foul language online soo much ?? that statement was not nessacary at all nor did it require you to speak like that.. it just screams ignorance.. honestly i know it was a Dumb idea.. thats why i posted it..
Are you the same guy who runs his mouth over on misfits ?? bronco, aka sportjeep, mudslayer, tina, pinkhairedgirl, neil, offroadjeepr
and who uses misfits guys vehicals for his own ownwebsite to make his site look better ??

and no i aint the guy who does that. his name is bill. he owns sportjeepoffroad or soemthing like that.

#32 ·
comanche38 said:
Good point guys. I guess that I am just going to have to pick a method and try it to see if it works for my Jeep, driving style and ease. I also wonder about the people that have insane amounts of flex and no sway bars and tie down to the axles. Does the Jeep lean way over on turns just like if it were being driven on the road = weight transfer? I should have a good amount of flex when I am done but with 38" tires full size axles and fitting in a standard garage with about 6" of clearence I should never be top heavy:naughty: I personally have never had good things to say about chains. They are to "harsh" Straps, if taken care of will last a long time and take some of the jerk out of it. I also don't like the "have to go to the next chain link" when you only need 1/2 or 1/4 of a link.:dunie:
Straps if you take care of them thats the key .At work we go throuh straps alot tieing machinery down ,scares me when I here wraping around the axel.

Chains :you dont need a big log chain to tie down a rig ,get your chains the right length and you are done, hookem tighten gone .

And yes you will get the same sway or really close on a trailer .I Followed a guy from the Bad Lands and he had his sway bars dis. and the thing was all over the place .

#34 ·
i tied a conversion van(same one i did a real short tow without tying) by the suspension once and had major sway it almost got me into an accident. i looked in the rearview at one point in the ordeal to see the top of the van out farther than the rails on the trailer that scared the shit out of me. i think it would have been a lot better frametied.

#35 ·
After having a trailered vehicle chew through a 10k ratchet strap on the front end, I always start with a 5/8" chain from the towed vehicle's frame to the front of the trailer. Then I add ratchet straps from there.

Just wanted to add that since I havent seen chains mentioned too much yet.

#36 ·
Yeah, not recommended to put straps directly to the vehicle, You are best to buy reinforced/abrasion proof axle slings. Those go around the vehicle, then the strap goes just from the axle sling to the tie point on the trailer, and really doesn't contact anything. They will last a long long time if you do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.