Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Slo-Mo Rebuild

92K views 497 replies 65 participants last post by  JohnnyJ 
#1 · (Edited)
A few people asked me to do a build thread so here goes. I skipped through some of the details so if you want them just ask.

The XJ joined my life as a clean 72K mile stocker in January 2003.

Quickly made some changes… long arm lift, tires, wheels, gears, lockers, steering, brakes, etc.

Wheeled it for a few years and had a lot of fun, made bumpers, skids, etc.
Then decided to get more serious.

Out came the rockers, in went sliders.

I also spent a long time researching and designing a hybrid cage. I took my plans to JCR and they agreed to build the cage and some rear doors for me.

Then I put some paint on it - Hemi Orange.

I drove it around and wheeled it like this for a while and started to become unhappy with the “performance” of the 4.slow. I was never impressed with the stroker motors for the gain vs. cost and about this same time a friend put a 5.7L Hemi in his JK and another friend put an LS1 in his XJ. I drove them both and was instantly hooked, I HAD to have a V8.

I could not find an LS1 that was reasonably priced and I wasn’t thrilled about putting a scoop on my hood to cover the LS truck motor intake so I looked and read, looked and read and looked and read some more. Finally, I learned that an LSI intake could be mated to the 5.3l and with some accessory rerouting it would stay below my hood line.

Pick this up from a friend at Premier Auto Parts in Cedar Springs. It’s a 2005 5.3L 45K miles and all accessories, PCM, harness, TAC and pedal.

Found an LS1 intake with injectors and fuel rail on ebay and dropped it on top. That’s when I learned the water pump would be an issue too.

I picked up and LS1 water pump and started playing around with accessories rerouting and came up with this. I was never thrilled that the upper hose was captive, but it worked and I was up against the clock to get something done.

One of the things I really wanted to do was keep the Jeep instrument cluster. I spent a great deal of time searching, reading and experimenting but I was unable to make it work. Edit: The details start on post 95.

Ultimately this is what I ended up with and I am pleased with it.

Somewhere around this time I bumped up to 35’s. So, I was enjoying my new V8 and wheeling with a D30/8.25 with stock shafts. Although I never broke anything, the Internet made me think I would every time I went out.

Picked up a D44/9” from a ’75 F100 for 200 bucks and went to work narrowing and building them. OX/Detroit, alloys, 300M joints, 35 spline rear, 5.13’s, high steer, and hydro-assist. I did a write-up on those and you can find it here.
XJ: Narrowed D44/9" Swap - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Everything was going great, trails were getting harder and harder and I was having a blast when the Internet again made me think my transfer case would never hold up to the abuse I was giving it. I started researching upgrades and decided to build my 231J into an HD version using a 6 planetary gearset and a wide chain. I did a write-up on that and it can be found here. 231J HD Transfer Case Upgrades - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

So, that pretty much brings it up to date. However this week I came across these babies! 38X12.5X15 Super Swamper SX, thanks Daryl.

So, now I know what I will be doing for my winter project this year…

See less See more
#352 ·
If you don't want to spend the money on new brackets, why not just take the ones you have, clock them to whatever position you want, and weld them to the flange? It'd be no different than normal weld-on brackets at that point, except you wouldn't have to put any thought into aligning them side to side since the flange will do it for you.

#361 ·
Lol, as I was writing that I was wondering how long it would take for someone would speak up. I know there are plenty that are happy with their rear linked XJ.

My leaves are from Big Offroad, which sourced them to their specs directly from Alcan. I paid a bunch of money for them and they have always worked really well, it would be best if I could keep them for now. With that said, I'm sure traction would be improved with links...

#363 ·
Once I got it out of my head that I had to use the mounting holes for the bracket I was able to make it work pretty quickly. The calipers are at about the 90* position which is a little lower than I want, but I don't have a choice with clearing the springs. I think I may make a small skid that goes from the caliper bracket to the axle to add some protection. Overall, pretty happy with the solution.

Ignore the mess...

Rotated back about an inch or so.

#366 ·
Kinda slow the last two days working on my arms and front axle location. Lots of measuring, thinking, moving stuff and a little bit of progress. I threw the tires/wheels on for a little inspiration, I can't wait to get this on the road again...

I shortened the arms about 1.5" after this pic. As much as I would like the axle out there that far I just can't do it with the coil springs. Total stretch is a whopping 3' (1" rear and 2" front). Load bearing shocks and hydraulic steering would leave a lot more options. :sonicjay:

I know it's a mess, I'll cleanup before I start working on Saturday :)

#370 ·
Tada!!! She is holding herself up. Of course it is nowhere near ready, but it sure feels good to be making progress.
Two important things happened with this...
1) I was able to clean the shop.
2) I can use the lift to change the oil in both my other cars :)

I'm not really sure if I have enough lift for this setup, I will flex it out and maybe budget boost a couple more inches, lol.

Pretty happy with the way the arms turned out. I need to work on steering and track bar next.

Shocks are going to be last and it's going to take some thinking and creativity on the lower mounting.

#371 ·
I know the feeling, my heep has been hogging up my hoist for quite a while waiting for holidays to be over so I can afford to get back to work on mine. Last couple times I needed it I had to tug it out of the garage with the wifes jeep then winch it back in when I was done.

Looking good John!

#374 ·
It does suck, but it's still better than working on jack stands while you lay on the floor :thumb:

I got the steering worked out today using a kit from fourwheelsupply. The kit came with arms, studs/bolts, four TRE's, 1.5" DOM and inserts. As I suspected the bow in my coils was due to caster, turns out it was 15* LOL. I still need to adjust it to 6*, but it's at 3* now. I chopped off the trackbar frame mount and brace mount. Getting the trackbar in there is going to be a good trick, there is very little room between the 5.3L oil pan and the D60. I'm thinking at least two bends to make it work.

Happy New Year everyone, be safe.

#376 ·
I've been going back and forth on what to do with my long side front axle shaft. I shorted the housing 4.25" to make the WMS 65" and I had a local guy that would cut and re-spline my original for $100 but it would take a while before he had time... Or Branik would do it for $75 plus shipping both ways. I called Branik today and decided to order a 4340 axle. They are doing custom lengths with import steel for $225. Long term it makes more sense, I would probably go to all 4340 in the next year anyway.

I finally figured out my track bar. It's shorter than I would like, but when you're fitting between the coils on an XJ...

I still need to finish the axle mount and final weld everything.

More Barnes parts

Having fun with the tubing bender, it's pretty tight between the 5.3L and the D60 but I think it's good. I ended up making my own mounts for frame and axle side. Ignore the booger weld on the corner of the frame mount, I forgot to turn the gas back on before I tacked it, LOL.

I probably won't mess with it again for awhile. Starting some long rotations out to the west coast with short home times
AND IT'S FINALLY SKI SEASON!!!

#377 ·
No big update, spent the day in the garage yesterday helping my son change a clutch on his car and I also sold my 8-lug rollers. Since the Jeep had the new wheels/tires on it and it was out of the garage, I figured it was a good photo op for the dirty Jeep. Really liking the way this setup looks.

#380 ·
Thanks... I hope the tires work as good as they look.

Looks good :naughty:

Any idea on clearances yet, or will you have to throw that budget boost in there? What height coils/springs do you run now?
Thanks... I think I will get 4-5" up travel when it's done, close to what I had with the D44 in there. The budget boost was a joke because the pic had the little tires and a mile of wheel opening :teehee:
I am running 6" springs front and rear and I will make it work at that height. I really don't want to be any higher.

#382 ·
Finally got a day out in the barn today, so I made the best of it. I'm limited to about 2 days a month right now due to work and other stuff :(

It took about 2.5 weeks to receive the axle from Branik - $242 to my door seems fair.

Did one final check for clearances and everything looks good. Tight, but good. Finish welded and painted all the links, and steering. Finished up the axle side trackbar mount and tied it into the upper mount as well as bumpstop extensions on the coil buckets. The only thing left on the front axle is to tie the driver's side upper into the diff cover and the steering ram mount/skid. Getting closer, I might actually drive it this year...

1mm clearance is enough, lol.

#386 ·
Small update... I mostly finished up the crossmember with a TMR Atlas mount and a front trans mount and installed it. Having the t-case hang off the back unsupported always made me nervous when I threw down a four foot tire patch on the 1/2 shift. I still need to add some plate under the rear of the Atlas and drill/tap the front for a engine/trans skid mount though. It's good for now, and with eight bolts on one side and five on the other it should hold pretty well, LOL. I painted the arms orange (duh) and got the front axle back in. I am hoping this weekend to pull the 14B so I can finish grinding the underside smooth and also weld the tubes to the diff. Then I'm on to the brakes... getting closer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.