Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

New YJ on 9's

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  boggin-machine 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up a new toy last week...

Sunray 609 35 spline front w/ Detroit, 35 spline 9 with detroit rear, atlas 4.3, SOA, 4.2L with aftermarket EFI & AX-15

Short list...Get rid of the 38.5" sx's and beadlocks for 40's and WE's, PAINT, mod some of the jacked up tube work...convert the Assist to full hydro, plus fix a few odds and ends..

Long List - LS1, 4 linked front and rear...either Airshocks or Coilovers if i can swing the $$$..

See less See more
#14 ·
she's the one that wanted it after I beat the crap out of her LJ in Clayton the last time out...

I am stripping the LJ down this weekend and going back to stock skids, stock 30/44, factory cage and 35" MTR's...just leaving in the lift & antirock....will probably update the stock axles to 4.88's and maybe a lockrite up front so she can have some fun with it.

#19 ·
well...things didnt quite go as planned...that first trip the hubs died and the front driveshaft separated from too much movement....so I added a TW slinky and some solid drive flanges. Ran it at Trees Ranch www.treesranchoffroad.com only to tear off a hi-steer arm and kill my rear 9 housing. The housing appears to have been on its last leg anyways...I forgot to take pics but essentially it was shaped in a U in 2 directions...not worth saving so I had Sunray make a new housing, install a spool (the bend killed my detroit from the axle shaft side loading it so bad) and I took it from there....time for the full hydro, 4 link and airshocks...

made a quick call to Kelvin down the road at PSC and had them send me this.

and Northridge for a set of these

Here's some of my poly & sunray parts

#20 ·
Of Course I had to call Dan at BTF too

Body is beat anyways so I didnt mind taking the saw to it...

my welds suck so my buddy Frank did the welding for me

\

stole the DOM from Franks old lower links

like my PVC upper links?

#24 · (Edited)
I actually ran it in Hot Springs over Labor Day weekend and found a few problems that needed to be addressed:

1. Tires hit the body at full flex....added a taller shock mount to the axle.

2. hydro cylinder hit my oilpan..1" MML

But the biggest problem was my lower link mount. We didnt leave enough clearance for the driveshaft so it would rub when the axle would droop. Another problem I found with the link mount was that it was made out of .188 wall DOM...we didnt strengthen it properly so it ended up bending....I'll post pics of it later along with some new crossmember pics...

I decided to add a little bling to offset the ugly paint/body while I was at it

and spend a few hrs with the groover

Ran it in Clayton, OK this past weekend and everything seems to be working good..a few small tweaks left, but nothing major right now...

the rest of my trips, etc are here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kungfustu61

forgot to mention...its sitting right about 104.5" now....when I link the front I should end up around 108-109"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.