Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Jeep CJ-10a conversion project (pretty much completed)

71K views 167 replies 43 participants last post by  JUSS10 
#1 · (Edited)
Jeep CJ-10a conversion project (now w/video)

As many of you know, I am getting one of my CJ-10a Flightline Tugs ready for plowing this Winter (with the help of FORD FLARESIDE). I have a 2nd tug that I'm converting for road/offroad use. I'm excited about this project, as it doesn't require a complete ground-up build. Time is a commodity for me right now, and this tug ran/drove well (up to ~18 mph) prior to me pulling the rear axle and bobtail bed. My plans for this tug are relatively straightforward, and include the following:

• Keep it on the cheap by bartering for parts where I can.
  • Retain stock Nissan SD-33 6-cyl. diesel motor and TF-727 auto transmission.
  • '90 GW Dana 44 front axle: I'm in the process of cleaning this axle up for paint; see photo below. It'll need a 4.10 re-gear, and I'd like to convert it to manual lockouts and add a locker. I'll see how the budget goes. This axle is a bolt-in for the '10a (translation = easy swap).
  • Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 rear axle: Cooter scored me one of these, and I'm getting it in trade for some Scrambler parts. It has 4.10 gears, rear disc brakes, 6 x 5.5" lug pattern, and it's ~58" wide WMS-to-WMS. It'll be a great match for the NT FSJ front axle.
  • Plain-Jane Toyota 4-Runner steel wheels: Free from Mr. Stabby (I owe you one, Joe). These have a 6 x 5.5" bolt pattern, and I love the ultra-basic style of this wheel (it retains basically the same look as the stock 8-lug military wheels that came on the '10a). I'll just blast 'em and paint 'em black.
  • NP-208 T-case: I swapped an NP-229 case for this one (thanks 46flattie). It'll replace the AMC 198 case that's currently in the tug, and locked in low-range. The 208 is a bolt-in affair, and I'll just need to extend the shift linkage by ~4"...an easy fix.
  • 32" x 9.5" Swampers: I also got these from Cooter on trade. The size will allow me to retain a stock height, and not have to buy a lift kit. NOTE: Even with a lift, the front tire size using the stock CJ-10 front fenders is limited due to the wrap-around in front.
  • Reworked rear springs to extend wheelbase (see more info below).
  • Flatbed rear w/a cage of some sort. I hope to talk with the JCR guys about this, maybe sometime next Spring.
  • Pintle hitches front & rear.

I'm trying to assess how I'm going to address moving the rear axle back. The existing rear spring setup (check out those monster rear leafs) are all FSJ, outboarded w/56-57" spring packs (HD of course, for this application). The stock setup is SOA, with an off-center pin. Reversing the spring will move the axle back about 5 1/2" over stock, but that's not far enough for what I want. Instead, I think I'll use a 2nd set of front FSJ springs, and relocate them under the frame rails. This would require an SUA setup to maintain the existing ride height. By going under the frame rail and using the front Waggy springs (2" pin offset), I'll be able to move the rear axle back roughly to where the tire is positioned in the photo below. I considered switching to 63" Chevy springs, but they'd be too long for this frame setup.

Anyway, I'll be working on this project over the Winter. The only attention the tub will require is the repair of a tiny (smaller than a dime) hole in the passenger floorpan. Other than that, it's all rust-free.

So there it is. This project will require substantially less work than a full frame-up build, but will still be a unique and rust-free Jeep that should probably get 28 mpg with the 6-cyl. Nissan diesel motor it has. :rock:

Craig

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
So is it and still gonna be SUA in the front?
Yes, it's going to be SUA (same as OEM FSJ).

Are you going to leave the slab weight in the rear for added traction wheeling? :tonka:
Uh, no. :sonicjay: It should give me some good salvage $$$ to put toward other parts, though. That slab o' weight is 4" thick, and ~2000 lbs.

How about keeping the springs out boarded and making a new bumper that has rear shackles mounts in the back? Like the YJ guys do to run XJ leafs.

You could make a bumper with the same style, but mount it a little cleaner and stuff.
That thought crossed my mind (using Chevy rear springs). I think it'll help rear flex by moving them underneath, though. You're more the expert than I am, though.

Craig

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I just ordered a set of these Sky Manufacturing spring hangers, and some JC Whitney 5-leaf Waggy springs (PN# ZX072047B) to mount on the rear of the tug.

I got the track bar bracket removed from the front Dana 44 axle, and I'm still working on wire-wheeling it (lots of nooks & crannies on a front D44). I'm also working on wire-wheeling the NP-208 t-case, and have it about 50% done...bling, bling. :tonka:

More pics to come...

Craig

#9 · (Edited)
I just ordered a set of these Sky Manufacturing spring hangers, and some JC Whitney 5-leaf Waggy springs (PN# ZX072047B) to mount on the rear of the tug.
The spring hangers & leaf springs are now here. The wheels are currently at the sandblaster, and they'll be painted with POR-15/self-etching primer/Krylon when they're done. I also shipped the front Dana 44 off to Five Star Auto for them to give it a basic overhaul & regear (used Rubi 4.10s), and just picked up the Isuzu Dana 44 today from Cooter.

The pieces are coming together, and I actually feel like I'm making progress on this project. :thumb:

Craig

#11 ·
It's only been a few days since you've seen it, "Mr. Microwave Society". :miff: :sonicjay: I prefer the "crock pot" approach to my projects (translation = wife, kids, work, etc. delay rapid progress on my projects). :tonka:

But, I digress...

The wheels are now painted, and I'll be getting the 32" TSLs mounted on them shortly. The front Dana 44 is with my friends at Five Star Auto, getting rebuilt with 4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, new bearings/seals/ball joints, etc. I'll probably start removing the spring perches on the Isuzu rear axle this weekend, and will subsequently wire-wheel & paint it.

The best parts of the project right now, though, are the wonderful jack stands that are holding the back end off the ground. :sonicjay:

Craig

I'm actually spending most of my time trying to get my other CJ-10a ready for plowing. I'm still a solid 2-3 weeks away from that being done.

#13 ·
[*]Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 rear axle: Cooter scored me one of these, and I'm getting it in trade for some Scrambler parts. It has 4.10 gears, rear disc brakes, 6 x 5.5" lug pattern, and it's ~58" wide WMS-to-WMS. It'll be a great match for the NT FSJ front axle.

Is this an aluminum axle housing?

#17 · (Edited)
I hope to post pics later this week. :thumb: I got the rear bumper, the stock rear shackle hangers, and the almost 2K-lb. weight removed from the back of the vehicle. It was no easy task with the weight, BTW...it was welded to the frame in 6 different places, and took a combination of carefull die grinding & saw-zalling (is that a word?) to remove it. I did realize that I'll have to outboard the rear shackle hangers slightly, as the frame narrows a little in back...I couldn't see this with that big friggin' weight in the way.

I'll have a decent amount of time to work on it this week...stay tuned for more pics.

Craig

#19 · (Edited)
I got the rear spring hangers aligned and tack-welded on tonight. It looks like I'll have to outboard the rear shackle hangers 1", as the rear portion of the frame is narrower than where the front spring mounts are located.

Tomorrow night...finish removing the other spring perch from the Isuzu D44 rear axle, and get it hung underneath the tug.

Exxxxx-cellent.

Craig

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
With the help of my friend Wingnut, we made some good progress on the tug over the past day. The transfer case is now removed, and the NP-208 will be going in shortly.

The rear axle is now sitting under the vehicle, too. I have to say, reusing the spring perches made the removal process slow & tedious. I decided to run the Waggy springs with the short end on the front, which allows me to use the original shackles and shackle hangers, just flipped over from the original orientation. Since I flipped the springs around, the wheelbase will be right around 96" (about 2" longer than a stock CJ-7).

Craig

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks guys.

The axle is now hung under the Jeep, and the rear shackle hangers are tack-welded in position. With a full tank of diesel (20 gallons) and 140 lbs. of sand bags on the rear to account for a bed of some sort being added a little bit down the line, the rear shackles have a nice angle. The new rear springs will also settle a little with use. I still need to fine-tune the side-to-side adjustment of the axle position, as well as setting the pinion ange properly. The front end sits a little lower than the rear, so I ordered a set of HD lift shackles from bjsoffroad.com for the front. Those should balance out the stance nicely.

I also got the tires mounted on my Toyota rims. They're topcoated with gloss black Krylon, but after seeing them next to the vehicle, I may hit them with a top coat of semi-gloss instead. Opinions? I'm just wondering if they look a little too shiny. The frame & axles will definitely get semi-gloss. They probably just look extra shiny to me because the frame is dirty and not painted yet.

Next steps...
  • Install front lift shackles once they arrive.
  • Finish tweaking the rear axle positioning.
  • Install the NP-208 t-case.
  • Talk to the JCR guys about doing the finish welding on the suspension components (I can do nice flat welds when I can rotate the frame around, but my vertical & overhead welds need practice). I know that the welds will look great if the JCR guys do them, and I'll also have them double-check all my measurements & suspension setup.

Craig

Attachments

#27 ·
I also got the tires mounted on my Toyota rims. They're topcoated with gloss black Krylon, but after seeing them next to the vehicle, I may hit them with a top coat of semi-gloss instead. Opinions? I'm just wondering if they look a little too shiny.

How about some Warm Vanilla Sugar-Coated Muffin?

#31 ·
:sonicjay: Thanks for the laugh.

BTW, I test-fit a set of 34" x 9.5" Swampers that I have on another Jeep, and it looks like they'll fit (I would have sworn they wouldn't). Of course, I find this out after I paid to have the 32" Swampers mounted. Stay tuned...pics to come after I get the 34s mounted & installed...

Craig

#36 ·
Thanks Travis. My goal is April '07. There's lots to do between now & then, though. I hope to be able to attend the Blessing of the Jeeps this year (I have never been to one).

How's the TJ rebuild coming, or are you focusing more on the truck?

Craig

#40 ·
The NP-208 transfer case and front lift shackles are now installed. I also replaced a couple broken wheel studs on the rear axle. I still have to make the extension (~4") for the NP-208, but that should go pretty quickly.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.