Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Jeep CJ-10a conversion project (pretty much completed)

71K views 167 replies 43 participants last post by  JUSS10 
#1 · (Edited)
Jeep CJ-10a conversion project (now w/video)

As many of you know, I am getting one of my CJ-10a Flightline Tugs ready for plowing this Winter (with the help of FORD FLARESIDE). I have a 2nd tug that I'm converting for road/offroad use. I'm excited about this project, as it doesn't require a complete ground-up build. Time is a commodity for me right now, and this tug ran/drove well (up to ~18 mph) prior to me pulling the rear axle and bobtail bed. My plans for this tug are relatively straightforward, and include the following:

• Keep it on the cheap by bartering for parts where I can.
  • Retain stock Nissan SD-33 6-cyl. diesel motor and TF-727 auto transmission.
  • '90 GW Dana 44 front axle: I'm in the process of cleaning this axle up for paint; see photo below. It'll need a 4.10 re-gear, and I'd like to convert it to manual lockouts and add a locker. I'll see how the budget goes. This axle is a bolt-in for the '10a (translation = easy swap).
  • Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 rear axle: Cooter scored me one of these, and I'm getting it in trade for some Scrambler parts. It has 4.10 gears, rear disc brakes, 6 x 5.5" lug pattern, and it's ~58" wide WMS-to-WMS. It'll be a great match for the NT FSJ front axle.
  • Plain-Jane Toyota 4-Runner steel wheels: Free from Mr. Stabby (I owe you one, Joe). These have a 6 x 5.5" bolt pattern, and I love the ultra-basic style of this wheel (it retains basically the same look as the stock 8-lug military wheels that came on the '10a). I'll just blast 'em and paint 'em black.
  • NP-208 T-case: I swapped an NP-229 case for this one (thanks 46flattie). It'll replace the AMC 198 case that's currently in the tug, and locked in low-range. The 208 is a bolt-in affair, and I'll just need to extend the shift linkage by ~4"...an easy fix.
  • 32" x 9.5" Swampers: I also got these from Cooter on trade. The size will allow me to retain a stock height, and not have to buy a lift kit. NOTE: Even with a lift, the front tire size using the stock CJ-10 front fenders is limited due to the wrap-around in front.
  • Reworked rear springs to extend wheelbase (see more info below).
  • Flatbed rear w/a cage of some sort. I hope to talk with the JCR guys about this, maybe sometime next Spring.
  • Pintle hitches front & rear.

I'm trying to assess how I'm going to address moving the rear axle back. The existing rear spring setup (check out those monster rear leafs) are all FSJ, outboarded w/56-57" spring packs (HD of course, for this application). The stock setup is SOA, with an off-center pin. Reversing the spring will move the axle back about 5 1/2" over stock, but that's not far enough for what I want. Instead, I think I'll use a 2nd set of front FSJ springs, and relocate them under the frame rails. This would require an SUA setup to maintain the existing ride height. By going under the frame rail and using the front Waggy springs (2" pin offset), I'll be able to move the rear axle back roughly to where the tire is positioned in the photo below. I considered switching to 63" Chevy springs, but they'd be too long for this frame setup.

Anyway, I'll be working on this project over the Winter. The only attention the tub will require is the repair of a tiny (smaller than a dime) hole in the passenger floorpan. Other than that, it's all rust-free.

So there it is. This project will require substantially less work than a full frame-up build, but will still be a unique and rust-free Jeep that should probably get 28 mpg with the 6-cyl. Nissan diesel motor it has. :rock:

Craig

Attachments

See less See more
#153 · (Edited)
Trail Junkie & I are back from Windrock. We had a great time, and did saw some great scenery.

Here are some of the pics. The first two are some of the moderate trails that we were on the first two days. The 3rd pic is Trail Junkie givin' the \/\/estside shout out. #4 is the Scrambler I rode in on day 3 (extreme trails). #5 is the trail we rode. It's called "Rattlerock", and is a 5+ on a 1-5 scale of difficulty. It was cool to run with the big rigs for a day, but it was VERY slow-going...not really my forte.

The next pic is a little friend we found on the trail...a ~3 1/2-foot timber rattler. We also saw a copperhead the 2nd day. These little guys made me think twice before jumping off in the weeds to go to the bathroom. They should have mentioned the snakes before we hit the trails (us out-of-state guys aren't used to looking out for this stuff).

The final pic is me with the Scrambler charity vehicle that we're giving away (tickets are $5 each). It looks AMAZING in-person.

Craig

Attachments

#158 ·
I didn't drive it down (Trail Junkie trailered it), but I got just over 20mpg around town for the month I drove it prior to Windrock. It's not quite as good as i had hoped for, but it's still respectable, IMO. It can easily handle 65-70mph on the highway, although it seems most comfortable at 55-60mph.

Thanks again for the great work, Brian and Daryl. I have received several comments about the quality of your work. :thumb:

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.