Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1% prez........"the jiggler"

229K views 2K replies 163 participants last post by  Mr.Green 
#1 · (Edited)
just finishing up my tj and my buddys tj(wheelsofsteele). he did a 60 front w 60 rear out of a 79 ford. had a rubicon long arm so we changed the upper links in rear, tossed the rear trackbar and built a 3 link for the front. i did a 60 front 14 bolt rear,3 link front, leaves in the rear. streched to 103. i built new arms for the front and 2.5 currie joints. will post up pictures and more detail when i figure out how to get these pictures in photobucket. we started mikes jeep july 29 sun night and finishing it up today. his tj is a 1997 mine is a 2003. there is some diffrent stuff between the years.i will give detail on what we ran into.

#1,228 ·
getting rid of that completely.since it was a dodge 23 spline male to male.going to the 32 spline female to the 465 32 spline male and getting rid of the coupler all together.

#1,234 · (Edited)
thats what i was thinking after looking at both of the ratio's. this is what i have for specs on the later 465.

couple people have told me i would like the 4500 better but i dont see the benafit in it.2nd is too hi and first is not really low enough.only thing i am worried about is if the 465 will shift good enough for me.1st is not synchronized but 2nd through 4th is. 2nd is the gear i am looking for most use. and like you said john i could shift into hi and use first for more technical hills i think.

Attachments

#1,236 ·
i can do a 95 plus chevy 4500 or the later 465.big price difference between them.but i have to decide asap.they are both available to me.

#1,238 ·
Even though it is sycronized you are not gonna shift the 465 quickly or easily...it just is not gonna happen. A friend of mine is running a all 32 spline 465/203/205 setup behind a very healthy stroked small block in his s10 and its tough aa hell but not pleasant to drive at all. Also keep in mind the shifter throw is huge (i dont know how much room you have) and you really dont dare shorten it up because of the efforr required to shift. The nv4500 in my dodge on the other hand is very nice, it's easy to operate, shifts very smooth with little effort...personally it would be worth the 600$ to go that route...its that much nicer.

#1,240 ·
looks like 465 for now. the 4500 i had on line was the earlier one.

#1,243 ·
so i decided to wait and not do the 465.want the 4500 and it's a better upgrade.fixed the coupler. one side was completely stripped.
wheeled for a couple days for the inner air lock bachelor party....finally smoked a front ring and pinion. wips some sick dounuts in 2 wheel.i only rolled one tire off.
minor issues of the 1% group this weekend.2 tires, a windshield,2 body panels on different rigs, rebuilt a tranny in a hour on my garage floor,rear driveshaft,hot gas,1 jacket and 2 sweatshirts were on fire at some point wheeling.:sonicjay: and i think a couple beer's were lost. we were only stuck in my swamp for a few hours this time.:teehee:

#1,248 ·
i am down to 1 good 20" wheel...:sonicjay: hope to get some 43's on before canada.the broken list so far this year.... sliced 7 tires so far this year and broke 3 rim's.stripped a front ring and pinion, broke 1 t case, stripped a 205 coupler, broke 1 shaft,put a hole in front diff cover,stripped a hub and broke 2 driveshfts. not real bad for all the beatdowns i have given it already. oh yea flipped it end for end once.:rock:

Attachments

#1,250 ·
50 cent called and said no...going with 17's when i get some 43's.

#1,255 ·
benny i could give 2 shits what i break.i built this thing to have fun and beat the snot out of. i love the skinny pedal. more power and bigger parts coming this winter..so just wait till next year!

#1,258 ·
so getting it ready for loonie run. i stripped the hub and drive flange at the club comp.so new hub and flange going on.picked up some extra wheels.so rocking the 42"s for canada. hopefully some good pictures soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.