Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Is a CRF 450 more bike then a newbie would need?

10K views 124 replies 49 participants last post by  nickb304 
#1 ·
I want to do it right the first time . I know with my street bikes I went from 500 to a 900 quickly.

Should I get a 250, or just jump right to a 450? I've rode bikes before, but never on the trail.

I think a 250 is plenty for trails which I'm guessing that is all I will be doing, and I think the 450 would be more of a tank. I don't care about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, but two of my dirt biking friends swear on those 450's

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2782850600.html

#6 ·
A 250 is plenty of bike for anybody. My buddy rides a 250f and its almost as fast as my cr250 plus gets great gas mileage. The only need for a 450 or even 250 2-stroke is in the dunes where more power is needed due to the deep sand. You will be happy with a 250f and if you want a lil more power down the road you can get a big bore kit or even do an pipe and silencer.

Check out 250 two strokes as well they're very fast and much cheaper to buy and maintain then a four stroke

#8 ·
When in doubt go with the bigger one.

I have ridden these kind of bikes a few times, and its just like anything else once you get used to it you are going to want more power and go faster.

Just make sure your life and health insurance is paid up:thumb:

#11 ·
inb4scooterrecomends thektm300xc2smoke

I learned on an early 90's yamaha 280 4 stroke. A few years later i bought an atk 250cc 2t that didnt have a power valve. Now I have a 01 rm250 2t that i am re-working for more power.

If you can excersize a bit of throttle control and not be wfo out of the gate, I think you would be fine since you have a little street bike experience.

Edit: Dont we have a proper forum for this shit?

#14 ·
I would definitely go with the 250. I know plenty of people that have rode bikes for 10 years or so, and they still stay with a 250. Most of them are 150-180 pounds or so, so different shocks may be in need, depending on your riding style. I say price is a key factor. If you can get a 450 for not much more than a 250, then jump on the 450

#15 ·
I have a 250rm and I love it. Ride it on the trails up north on 18 and 61. Haven't had a problem with it. Very quick and fast. Sometimes I wish I had a cr450 but my 250rm is fine for me. Can't go wrong with a 2stroke. Great for trails, not so much with wide open riding in my opinion.

#18 ·
Take it from someone who has owned and raced just about everything out there, including several years on the GNCC series. Go with the 450. Add a flywheel weight and the thing will be an excelent trail rig. On the current CRF450 I've been riding, you can leave the thing in 3 rd gear most of the day and lug it trough the corners like a tractor, yet open it up and skip across the sand whoops with a quick blip of the throttle. You hit an open section and it's nice to be able to grab another gear and leave your buddies in the dust. I find that when I'm on a 250F I'm all over the gear shifter and hard on the clutch trying to make power out of the thing. Each time I end up back on a 450F because the low end power and torque. If you are interested, I have a super clean 03' CRF450 all set up for trail that I'm getting reeady to sell. Once spring hits I plan on bringing it into the new shop, David Allen Racing Motorsports (the old Powers Motorsports) and it will sell fast. PM me if you are interested.

#21 ·
kelly this is who you need to talk to.

if i bought new and rode just trail.ktm 350. or any exc so you can plate it.

2504 strokes you need to keep reved too much and they are grenades..not reliable...
get a good used 450 and be done..or a new 350 ktm.

#19 ·
Crf 250 or 450 depends on money a 250 can walk all over a 450 ib the trails.. it depends on the rider... 450s when i rode it didnt seem much heavier then the 250.. im 5,9 160lbs.

#23 ·
i ride a crf250r but it is modded. im 6'2" and like 150. i have also ridin a stock 450 in the trails. the 450 is about 30 pounds heavier if i remember right. this was my first year serious into bikes and i dont reel like the 450 was to much bike for me at all. it has more torque then the 250 for sure but thats about it. the crf 450s are known for having garbage clutchs in them though, but for the arrange rider it doesn't make a difference, it was mostly racers bitchin about them. if my bike wasn't heavily modded i would want a 450, but i have no problem keepin up with the 450s. my 250 will do 80, but on the other hand the 250 is lighter and a little more maneuverable in the trails. you can only go so fast in the trails anyways its not like top speed is ever reached. i hope this helps.

#30 · (Edited)
the 450 is about 30 pounds heavier if i remember right. this was my first year serious into bikes and i dont reel like the 450 was to much bike for me at all. it has more torque then the 250 for sure but thats about it. the crf 450s are known for having garbage clutchs in them though, but for the arrange rider it doesn't make a difference, it was mostly racers bitchin about them.
30 pounds!!! Really?? Where the hell did you learn your math skills? 2012 Honda CRF450R weight 238# , 2012 Honda CRF250R weight 227#. According to the math professor I know that equals about 11 pounds difference. As for a garbage clutch, hum,,,,,, how about no. Yes 2009 had some problems but that is the only year, and that was only if you were a serious motocross racer who beat the hell out if it. The CRF450 clutch is one of the best longest lasting and smoothest clutches out there.

As for Live2mx's recomendation of a new KTM 350 XC-F, well since I now own a dealership, and we don't sell the orange brand I can not recommend it.:bdr2: But it is a really nice set up, the best attributes of both a 250F and the 450Fs. But it comes with a matching impresive price tag of $9149 MSRP where a new Honda CRF450 runs $8440 MSRP.

#25 ·
Buy both. Take both. Ride both. Sell one you dont like. Or just buy the 450. I had a crf450 and it was awesome in the trails. Granted i'm 6ft 240lbs so the more power the better imo. Throttle control is key. You grab a handful of 450 and it will become just that, a handful. But if your slighty reserved and controled you'll have a blast on the 450. Plus if you ever want to go to the dunes you would beat a 250 to death trying to keep up.

#29 ·
Aj hall..... Please do not give advice on what you do not know what the fuck you talking about.

Honestly Kelly being you just got engaged and don't have leanz on your insurance yet. I'd say a modern 250f would be just fine for you. Playing in the dirt is completely different then on the street. You can get your self in alot of trouble really fast in the dirt.

What year are you looking at is the main thing. The brand new bikes have alot smoother curve with the efi. The carb bikes hit alot harder and are alot more aggressive of a motor.

#38 · (Edited)
Actually the early CRF450 used the same tried and true clutch as the old CR500s did. And if it could hold up to the sheer abuse a 500 put to it then they were good to go in the 450Fs. In 2009 Honda changed the clutch from a six spring clutch to a four spring cluch in an effort to reduce rotating mass in the engines drivetrain for a quicker revving effect. The result was that the four heavier springs fatigued faster than the standard six spring set up causing the clutch to slip easier under excessive heat and abuse. An other common problem was that people did not understand Honda's split oil compartments and did not read the manual and would add the same synthetic oil that the motor side ran into the transmission side causing problems. The synthetic motor oil would cuase the clutches to slip due to the reduced friction with the synthetic. The manual stated very clearly that you where to run a transmission oil like Honda HP-trans in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.