Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

any suzuki projects this winter?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  hman1991 
#1 ·
i was wondering what people are doing to there suzukis this winter. i have a ongoing project (88.5 samurai)that i am slowly plucking away at. so far the 1.6 is in all bolted up and all sensors hooked up to my custom made harness. next i plan to run the new fuel supply line. and install tank. i want to get the motor running b4 i start on the body. hope to have this weelable by the spring.
plans are 1.6, with 4.62's and 34x9.50 tsl's and alot of fender trimming with the spoa. i am holding off on the yota axils for now. here is a pic. no current ones but really looks the same though.

See less See more
#2 ·
well, my fleet has been expanding, I have 2 sami's and 1.5 trackers now, I'm using the 1 tracker as a DD, but I'm starting to wonder if it might be a better base for my project wheeler then 1 of the sami's

my thoughts for it are this:
1996 tracker
1.6 16v
stock auto and t/case
2nd tcase using a sami 1 with 4.89 low rang gear set
toy axles
35x10.5 boggers

I basically have all this stuff

what's everyone's thought on a base
tracker or samurai, and why?

#5 ·
if you do a sami then you basically have to swap in all of the stuff from the tracker to make it a decient wheeler (engine)

a 16v and an auto with about 120:1 (with torque converter 2x) works well but it falls on its face when you really need to hit something hard like a 2nd or 3rd gear launch with a manual. the 16v power is too high to use all of it with an auto. if you go with dual cases with a gear set in one of them you will run out of wheel speed very quickly.

if i wre you i would choose whether i wanted a jeep style body (easily replaceable things that get damaged I.E. windshield frame) a sami is about 500lbs lighter when built similarly to a tracker but you have to swap in a 1.6 to get a decient powerplant.

just about everything has been done to a sami and the trackers are still being figured out. doing it again i would build a tracker except more stout than the one i built... more power 300ish 60s 40s tubed out but still michigan friendly with an enclosed cab and LOW.

some day i will be building a new style 2 door with the above specs

john, if you want some more details pm me and ill yack at you on the phone for a while and fill you in a bit more indepth.

and for what im doing this winter:

16v to 2.7 swap (185hp)
electronic 4 speed auto with lockup
full hydro steering with double ended ram
bump stops on all 4 corners
new belly skid, t-case mounting and 3 crossmembers that dont fit anymore
finish cage
fuel cell
lengthen WB in rear 2-3" and redo all of it because i have too much anti squat
im sure theres more that im forgetting but that sums it up

http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6951&start=0

#4 ·
I like the sammi's, but i think that for a rig that is driven on the street, its alot easier to build a tracker.

Today I was ambitious enough to cut out the floor in the rear of my kick, and repair the invading rust. I've also been working on a tube front end so i can clear some 33's, but then i'll have to re-gear, and I can't decide if it would be cheaper to just buy the 5.83 gears or swap in a sammi t-case and drop the R & P's down to some readily available 4.62's.

#8 ·
I know these are mostly small things, but here are the things that I would like to get done on my sami this winter:

toyota power steering (have stuff, just need to fab bracket and pulley)
weld rear (should be done in the next few weeks)
Install 3/4 ton steering stuff (have it, just need to redrill steering arms)
clearance fenders
make front bumper
make sliders

Prob not this year, but wants:
lockrite for front
1.6 tracker motor or VW diesel swap
finish rear cage
skid plates
winch
35's and 5.29 axle gears

Here is my rig since you probably don't know what I am talking about. I do have a 5to1 case now.

-Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.