Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Fans and cooling issue

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Hoss Blazer 
#1 ·
So I pulled the stock fan off and installed a black magic electric fan on the inside of the radiator. The truck seems to over heat within 15 minutes. I tried switching the wires back and forth from pull to push and shows no difference at all. I am going to pull the electric fan and install the stock one to see if I have other issues. What should the electric fan be doing? Push or pull?

#7 ·
There are two wires on the fan. A yellow and a black. Common sense would tell me that yellow is positive and black would be ground. I have it wired this way and it seems to be pulling but not doing its job.

#8 ·
Not all fans are reversible. It may not operate correctly as a pusher.
Some fans simply need to power wire reversed, and some others require the power wire to be reversed AND the blades flipped.
Best thing to do would be to either look at the instructions, or get the part number off the fan and call them.

#10 · (Edited)
Ya if they are reversible the blades will need to be switched! I'd run an auto switch which lets it kick on @ a certain temp and off an another temp. That's what I'm doing w/ mine.
I have one toggle switch hooked up to be w/ key on Auto/Off
And the other toggle w/ key off....On/Off, so it willl still pull air through the radiator when the engine is off.

This is the auto setup i have....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16720/?rtype=10

#14 ·
Yes the stock one for the clutch fan is still on there. But is missing the bottom half. So you are saying take that off and block off where the fan is not blowing/sucking? So if I use cardboard or tin to cover up the exposed areas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.