Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

pretty sure I got scammed.....

7K views 68 replies 35 participants last post by  knaffie 
#1 ·
so i traded my tahoe for a f-250 and the guy agreed to write me a check for 1500 to make up the difference in the value of the two vehicles. i went to cash the check and my bank told me it looked fishy.

they proceded to call his bank and check for the funds and they were not there.....

i tried to call the guy and he wont answer or return calls. i did find a 2nd number on one of the repair bills in the glove box of the truck so i called that and it was the guys mom. i explained the situation to here and she said she would have him call me.

my question is if he doesnt call back (i dont think he will) what is my next step? i have a check that he signed but i cant cash it?

#6 ·
Legally, I think you don't have much of a leg to stand on, except maybe check fraud, but that is going to cost money. Like I said, I'd be at the mom's house.. bending her over the kitchen table until he either paid me the money cash, or I got 1500 bucks worth of anal out of momma. :nana:

#9 ·
the thought has crossed my mind, the mistake i made was i gave him the title and i took his title..... stupid me i know

i will at the least take way more precaution when doing a deal from now on but i really want to get my money without goting to the athouritys

#10 ·
Never ever take a check. I dont expect people to do it when im buying and theres no way in hell id do it when im selling. I would say if its a young kid keep talking to his parents and maybe they will help make it right. Or just keep slashing the tires on his truck till he gets the point.

#14 ·
here ya go.. right from the man him self.

Section 750.131a

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.131a Check, draft, or order for payment of money; making, drawing, uttering, or delivering without account, credit, or sufficient funds with intent to defraud; violation as felony; penalties.
Sec. 131a.

(1) A person shall not, with intent to defraud, make, draw, utter, or deliver any check, draft, or order for the payment of money, to apply on an account or otherwise, upon any bank or other depository, if at the time of making, drawing, uttering, or delivering the check, draft, or order he or she does not have an account in or credit with the bank or other depository for the payment of the check, draft, or order upon presentation. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or by a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

(2) A person shall not, with intent to defraud, make, draw, utter, or deliver, within a period of not more than 10 days, 3 or more checks, drafts, or orders for the payment of money, to apply on account or otherwise, upon any bank or other depository, knowing at the time of making, drawing, uttering, or delivering each of the checks, drafts, or orders that the maker or drawer does not have sufficient funds or credit with the bank or other depository for the payment of the check, draft, or order in full upon its presentation. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or by a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

History: Add. 1941, Act 200, Eff. Jan. 10, 1942 ;-- CL 1948, 750.131a ;-- Am. 1984, Act 277, Eff. Mar. 29, 1985

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

#30 ·
Even postal money orders have been scammed........Cash,period.

Having said that,don't waste your time. Go the legal route in small claims court.
Have him answer to the judge and waste HIS time explaining himself. Assuming you have documentation to back up your story.

#31 ·
a thought

Heres what ya do ...from now until your a old old old man , get up every morning go to brush your teeth and look in the mirror and say to yourself " JESUS CHRIST IM A DUMBFUCK" then remind yourself of your younger days when you were retarded enough to take a personal check from ANYONE lolol

Forest Gump said it best

Stupid is as Stupid does

#33 ·
Heres what ya do ...from now until your a old old old man , get up every morning go to brush your teeth and look in the mirror and say to yourself " JESUS CHRIST IM A DUMBFUCK" then remind yourself of your younger days when you were retarded enough to take a personal check from ANYONE lolol

Forest Gump said it best

Stupid is as Stupid does
thanks, i believe i stated that already:thumb:

#40 ·
I didn't read through all of the replies but I think you can call the S.O.S. and they can "flag" the title so he cannot get a new one issued in his name.
Don't ask me how I know but a detective with the KPS told me this once not too long ago.
I would be at my local SOS office waiting at their door when they opened in the A.M.
If they blow you off I'd be on the phone with the local sheriffs office while in the lobby.
Good luck. Sucks I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.