Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

CTOR take over build . Formally Sploder v. 4.0

109K views 1K replies 54 participants last post by  Shotgun 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after purchasing a few different rigs and crap hitting the fan with my daughter and scrapping the other for some extra money I now have a small fleet of explorers.
this project went bye bye along with its part rig. Kept tires and rims.

Replaced with this 92 explorer which was a victim of a t bone and then a roll over. 4.0 with less then 45k on it and a recent rebuilt a4ld. 3.27 gears.:(

after finding significant damage to the b pillars, and having to replace the windshield, drivers window and rear corner glass I then thought i would just swap bodies from my 2wd on to this.

Then I would have a 4 dr 4wd trail rig, But just when I thought I had it all figured out I ran across this 1991 eddie bauer for $150.00, it needed a fuel pump, has 3.55's for gears and warn manual hubs.
Plans are to give it a budget boost with shackles for now and spring spaces. Replace the almost new 235's with 30x9.5x15's. Wheel it for a bit and see how well it handles. Since the rockers are shot and it has almost no core support. I will most likely take them off the red one and make new ones for the sport.

Not looking for it to be pretty, just wanna have something to play in.:thumb:

EDIT NOW PROJECT SPLODER V.4.0
So, is the 4th time the charm?
I picked up this 94 Sport 2 weeks ago, I knew it had a bad head gasket(no big deal) Since I have a few extra motors laying around.
Specs as of now.
4.0 with Mitsu 5sp trans.
L/S 3.73 8.8
D35TTB
(3) 31" Procomp Xterrains and one Wrangler MTR on American Racing rims.
Sweet tint Job!
This one is way cleaner then the other 2 projects that were rotting and are now donating drivelines to other rigs and are going to get crushed this weekend to pay for this one.
New Goal is motor swap when I get time and get this effing thing to silver this summer since I failed last summer.
Pics while sitting in an apple orchard drive waiting to get strapped to Alboy79's house since the motor gave up the ghost.:sonicjay:

better pics

See less See more
#1,082 ·
Guess I should get this pos running again.
I pulled a Kickstand and bought a Pontoon and a 5th wheel. Then spent all summer rebuilding the 5th wheel after it found a tree.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#1,087 ·
Lower intake gasket went last spring. Won't hold coolant. Sadly it has to be tore down almost to the heads to change it.

#1,089 ·
its just used for pulling stumps now. :(
Sadly i'm at that point with family where there are not enough hours in the day.

#1,092 ·
I seriously just sat here and read every post in this thread, I laughed my ass off. This was the highlight of sitting in jail (where I work) for the evening. I just want to say that god has blessed me with awesome friends. Thanks again guys you have no idea how much this meant to me that you all took the time and did this. Just sucks that my hobbies have been pushed off the the side for the greater good of the family at this stage in life. I'm going to try to make an effort to get my kids out to silver lake yet this summer during the week. I have to go abduct the trailer from Timmay first. Sadly my next 4 weekends off are already scheduled out with camping trips. So mid week it will have to be. From the bottom of my heart
Thanks again for all the hard work you guys all put into this. Also sorry it sits WAY more than it should. :(

#1,095 · (Edited)
The irony behind all of this is now I need a new DD. Caden (my son) totaled out my Saturn today. :( Thankfully he is alright, the car not so much (it did its job and kept him safe). Tree vs plastic car at less than 20mph. Thankfully the airbags didn't break his wrists.

#1,097 ·
he was running down to my sisters at the end of the road, guessing he came in hot and ran out of talent.

#1,102 ·
Sadly it's got pretty bad frame damage it's almost touching the harmonic balancer

#1,103 · (Edited)
So we did a bit of wheeling this spring... well one day anyways. Found a tree with my b pillar on a hill climb at rocks and valleys, My rear body mounts gave up the ghost and smashed the bottom of my hatch flat against my bumper. Drove it back on the trailer. :)

I would add more but I have not idea how the hell I did that one already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.