Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project Cumdumpster

77K views 307 replies 108 participants last post by  p.o.r.n. 
#1 ·
My buddy and I just got done building up his '05 CTD. I put my Scrambler project on hold for a month so we could get this nailed out by Memorial weekend at the dunes, but we got screwed by Deaver and didn't get the rear leafs in time. Anyway, it's together now so here are some pics. I did all the custom design and fab, he did the other stuff like teardown and all that sh1t.

He had a nicely built '01 Sierra but got sick of blowing out the front end, didn't wanna solid axle it no matter how hard I tried to convince him, so he went for the upgrade. His old truck:

He got an '05 Ram 2500 CTD back in August, 5 days later it was up at the dunes for Labor Day weekend. It did great for a stocker but who wants a stock truck? He wanted to be able to haul across the dunes effortlessly at 60+mph and I wanted to make it happen. I talked him into a long travel suspension and 37s but he still wanted bigger. Then I found a great deal on some 40x13.5R20 XTerrains on here and it's been downhill ever since. Here's the specs:

-12" lift, all custom
-40" XTerrains on 20x10 KMC Diesels
-10" Full Throttle Coils, 12" travel Fox remote resi shocks, custom longarms and bracketry by BBA Fabworks
-8" Deaver leafs, 2" extended shackles, 14" travel Fox remote resi shocks, traction bar
-Axle trusses front and rear
-Drop pitman arm and sector shaft brace
-Custom trac bar and brackets
-Clocked t-case, new driveshafts, etc.
-A bunch of other little crap here and there

He's got a massive tuner, FASS, intake, stacks, and some other mods so it turns the 40s really well but it'll still get regeared before too long. It'd still blow most trucks out of the water.

We started on it the first weekend of May, got it on the road last Sunday.

How she sat the first afternoon

Stock coil next to new one and blingin shock

Then I figured I might as well blow a couple holes in the frame and start adding some reinforcement plates

Built up some adjustable UCA brackets out of 3/16" box and 1/4" plate

Then I had a cool picture in my head for the LCAs and tying everything together. Obviously beefiness is priority #1 but I can't just leave it looking plain either. I think the frame brackets turned out :rock:

I figure with an 8000 lb truck coming down on the front end some more reinforcement wouldn't hurt, and it makes it look a lot cleaner

The pics don't do it justice so far but oh well.

See less See more
#229 ·
Yeah it's been tested plenty and he still has it. It works great. Coilovers up front, airbumps on all 4 corners, etc. Still drives down the highway at 80mph just as well as floating over any bumps you can throw at it. I'll see what updated pics I have later once I'm at a computer. I took a few videos a while back too but they didn't turn out that great.

First page pics are gone :(
Not sure why, I haven't deleted anything. I'll see if I moved them into a different folder or something

#232 ·
Here are a few pics from Labor Day weekend that I've been slacking on for 5 months. I'll post a few videos once I get em uploaded but they don't do it justice.

Front end all finished up

Bent a swaybar link so it's getting beefier ones before spring.

Front coilovers and airbumps

Rear airbumps

Shocks, limit straps, bumps, traction bar, and ridiculous horns

Next to my TJ on 33s

#233 ·
#238 ·
It's my buddy's truck, but good to know. He was supposed to try for a spread in Diesel Power but got preoccupied and never pursued it much, plus I think he wants to make some more upgrades first(turbo, trans, etc). Not sure if he'll be up there for July 4th this year or not.

#245 ·
Yep he had it at the dunes this past weekend, nice to see someone got a pic. Unfortunately I didn't make it cuz I had to make an appearance at my fiance's bridal shower but it sounds like it did well as usual

#253 ·
He'll be back at the dunes this weekend so keep your eyes peeled! It's usually pretty entertaining when he gets into it.....last time he was doing 70 through the big whoops after exit hill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.